***REDACTED***

Doghouse

deathspectresgt7: Yeah definitely, I'm using these as a test run for airbrushing and using stuff like oils. I expect they will look terrible. :D

space wolf: Thanks mate. :)

jaxom: Yeah they are really nice models, I normally am not a fan of third party stuff but these are fantastic. They did take about 3 weeks to arrive though once ordered.

Another random update on what I am doing today. Experimenting with oils and other technical stuff I've not really played around with in the past for the Tomb Keepers but I'm getting there. Some times you just have to try something new and see how it goes and it's been fun so far. Normally the Tomb Keeper are quite clean and pristine, you could easily make them with wraith bone base and skelelton horde contrast but this is about experimentation so want them gritty and worn.

I'm not so much researching techniques on these but more trying things and seeing what works and doesn't. He's shiny because he still has gloss varnish applied so the oils flow easier, once done I'll dull him back down with some matt varnish. I will say one thing for airbrushing, easiest and smoothest varnishing I have ever done by far.

P1010398

Thanks as a wip test piece he is going ok, painted the chest eagle the wrong colour though as red is third company and I want to go with maybe 4th which is green.

I'm gloss varnishing them then when dry putting Burnt sienna and Burny Umber oil paints watered down with artist spirits. I'm also playing around with it for shading and damage flecks. Interesting so far as it's something different.

Update time 

Started work on the Soul Drinker Captain for Deathspectresgt7. It's still early wip at the moment as I get the pose down that I want, the left arm will be using a wrist mounted auto bolt rifle. Next I'll be stripping down the details and the sculpting will begin.

P1010410

P1010409

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks mate! :)

Yeah the Tortuga bodies are really nice, I have both sets of the Mk IV and Mk III with the MkV and Thunder Warriors on the way. They are really nice kits but the necks are a bit of a pain, can't wait to get started on the TW though.

Once the plastic Mk II marines come out I'll probably pick up the Tortuga Mk II bodies as well.

Yeah the Tortuga bodies are really nice, I have both sets of the Mk IV and Mk III with the MkV and Thunder Warriors on the way. They are really nice kits but the necks are a bit of a pain, can't wait to get started on the TW though.

Once the plastic Mk II marines come out I'll probably pick up the Tortuga Mk II bodies as well.

Adds to general chorus of annoyance about the over-deep neck sockets on Tortuga truescale bodies :P 

One easy hack with that, as i may have mentioned before, is just using Deathwatch heads (the bare ones, assumedly, unless there's some very peculiar frankenarmouring going on - I'm not a huge fan of the redone Mk.VIII helms anyway] . They'll still leave a gap in between the neck and armour going around the edge - although depending upon posing, you'll likely not even notice it; but they're deeper than the primaris ones as applies the size of their ball so it somehow seems to make things look better without the same level of effort raising them up (although they still could do with half a mm's elevation, dependent upon posing). That Mk.II powerfist/sword chap I (mostly) did a few weeks ago on our Unification of Sol effort was done thataway - just straight mounting of the bearded Dw head, no additional effort required. 

If you've got spare Centurion [as in, the xzibit ones, i mean] heads those might be another goer - although there's not that many bare heads on those sprues. The helmeted ones could be interesting for Mk.V however, perhaps even sans alteration. 

Other than that, if you're using FW upgrade helmets - then the nice thick sprue several mm in diameter coming off the bottom of the neck-ball is helpful - just don't cut it off totally when cleaning them and leave a mm of it in length or so underneath; the jawline of the helm will most likely make it quite difficult to actually see the gap running around the circumference of the neck and neck-socket. 

It's .. really peculiar that Tortuga actually went down that particular path - it's the only real shortcoming that I can see on what are otherwise very decent (if monopose) miniatures. I can only presume that they intend(ed) to release their own line of heads at some point [which htey've certainly done for their Mk.I] and wound up with a deeper socket to cater to that. 

Def feel you pain on it - it's one of the major things that has been frustrating my own build efforts with them thus far.