Any reasonable chance we’ll see a non cult-legion codex?

Sarvis

In my perfect world there would be Codex: Heretic Astartes to cover generic Chaos Space Marines and their followers (and this would include more recent traitor Space Marines as well as cultists). This would be augmented with codex supplements for each of the Legions. Whether or not the Death Guard and Thousand Sons (and World Eaters and Emperor's Children?) are full codices or codex supplements wouldn't matter much to me (as long as they are viable). There's probably a strong argument for them remaining full codices.

A pipe dream I have is a codex supplement for Codex: Space Marines that turns modern renegades into Heretic Astartes - on the path but not fully corrupted. That's probably a subject for another discussion, though.

Only way I would want my DG rolled back into a main codex with a supplement would be having a simplified and better legion trait that actually effects the entire legion (like loyalist space marines), instead of it missing out on Daemon engines just like last edition and messing with this "bubonic astartes" stuff. Edited by Putrid Choir

Only way I would want my DG rolled back into a main codex with a supplement would be having a simplified and better legion trait that actually effects the entire legion (like loyalist space marines), instead of it missing out on Daemon engines just like last edition and messing with this "bubonic astartes" stuff.

Our big four cold roll back into the main dex like the loyalists big four, but obviously no sooner than 10th edition. If its done as well as loyalists, fine by me if that happened. Otherwise you might be better off with a separated codex otherwise. 

I'm not even convinced we'll see stand alone codeces for the remain two aligned legions any time soon.  GW's been in no particular rush about it.  If World Eaters and Emperor's Children aren't distinct enough from generic Chaos Marines to be stand alone codex priorities, Night Lords and Word Bearers sure aren't.

Personally, I'm more interested in seeing a Traitor Guard / Renegades & Heretics style faction.  I've always felt the Eye of Terror campaign's 'Lost and the Damned' faction was a better representation of what chaos factions should look like in 40k than any stand alone chaos marine book ever could be.  Chaos never experienced the dramatic segregation of marine forces from all other military organizations that the Imperium had, and after 10 thousand years with only the ramshackle supply lines available in the Eye of Terror they shouldn't really have the capacity to field full marine military forces.  At the very least, such should be well in the minority - most chaos forces should be overwhelmingly comprised of cultists, barbarians, mutants, more recent imperial traitors, & summoned daemons, with actual traitor legionaires as an elite core of champions that the rest rally around and practically worship as near mythical heroes who will deliver them from Imperial oppression.

And I was sure we were going to get such a faction, or at least the pieces needed to build one in a mixed army, when Blackstone Fortress introduced practically an entire range of great new traitor guard models just as Forgeworld was discontinuing its Renegades & Heretics line.  But years on nothing has really come of that either.  People tell me the new 40k core rules are good, but they look as hasslesome to me as ever, and GW seems to be in no hurry to update existing factions to the current standard, let alone introduce new ones.

It's honestly hard for me to muster any motivation for 40k, where as AoS seems to go from strength to strength - typical GW balancing issues aside.

I think the "big four" would be better as supplements to the core codex, though I would have a hard time seeing we would ever get supplements or codexes for the separate chaos undecided Legions. We all want different things for our different Legions. Heck I want headhunters for my AL, I bet NLs would like Atramentar, IW some artillery, and so on...

I'm hoping that they're waiting with our CSM codex for 9th because they're releasing a EC and a WE codex before then so they don't have to include them in the "main" CSM codex.

I think the "big four" would be better as supplements to the core codex, though I would have a hard time seeing we would ever get supplements or codexes for the separate chaos undecided Legions. We all want different things for our different Legions. Heck I want headhunters for my AL, I bet NLs would like Atramentar, IW some artillery, and so on...

I'm hoping that they're waiting with our CSM codex for 9th because they're releasing a EC and a WE codex before then so they don't have to include them in the "main" CSM codex.

Yeah this is my thought too. They’ve never waited this long to drop the traitor legions codex, it’s usually one of the first couple. I think it’s a sign of good tidings

Yeah this is my thought too. They’ve never waited this long to drop the traitor legions codex, it’s usually one of the first couple. I think it’s a sign of good tidings

They've never waited this long... Except for those editions where we didn't get one at all right?

• 2 months later...

They've never waited this long... Except for those editions where we didn't get one at all right?

So do you not expect csm to get a codex in 9th or….?

So do you not expect csm to get a codex in 9th or….?

I was just being unnecessarily pendantic and salty at the time ;) seeing the assurances of a big release year for us in 2022 did get my hopes up though I must admit

"First step on the road to disappointment" not withstanding. As long as we get some nice Crusade options I should be happy :)