Command reroll uses for mortal wounds

Xenith

Basically, can the reroll be used to reroll the dice for how many MW's are inflicted upon a unit by say, a Smite or other witchfir psychic power.

Thinking on it, 40k is a permissive ruleset, that tells you what you can do in the game, not what you can't do. The reroll stratagem doesn't explicitly say you can use it to reroll the number of mortal wounds dealt from a smite, ergo, you cannot. Is my logic right in this?

In 9th the stratagem specifically only lets you reroll the following rolls:

• To Hit
  • To Wound
  • Damage
  • Save
  • Advance
  • Charge
  • Psychic test
  • DTW
  • Number of attacks

There is a case to be made that the number of MWs from Smite falls under the catageory of a "damage roll" and so might be eligible. Not completely sure on this one.

Wouldn't number of MW fall under the "number of attacks" category, instead? They're a special type of attack that ignores (most) saves but they're still an attack. Therefore you could Indeed re-roll the die determining the number of MW inflicted.

Wouldn't number of MW fall under the "number of attacks" category, instead? They're a special type of attack that ignores (most) saves but they're still an attack. Therefore you could Indeed re-roll the die determining the number of MW inflicted.

The more I think on this the more you can't use it for MW's.

MW's are clearly separated from attacks in the MW section of the book. Some attacks cause MW's in addition to other damage, but MW's on their own are not caused by 'attacks' as defined by the book (i.e. a hit roll procedure), so cannot be rerolled under that heading.

It's not a roll to see how much damage is caused either, as each MW delivers one damage each, with no rolling to see how much damage each MW causes. 

Other rolls to see how many MW's are caused in an event are simialrly excluded - you can't reroll a dice on Tzeetch's firestorm (roll 9, 1MW for each 6) or stuff like Orbital Bombardment (on a 4+ a unit takes D3 mortals), despite these all being rolls to see how many mortals are inflicted. 

When put that way, I can definitely see your point about why you can't re-roll the number of MW caused with a CP re-roll. I'll admit, my memory of 9th Ed. rules is a little hazy so I forgot that there was such a clear separation.