Miasmic Malignifier

McElMcNinja

Has anyone used and if so what are your thoughts? If you haven’t, are you wanting to try it out? I see they are available again, but not sure I could squeeze one in, although I guess we could just use it as a terrain piece like we do the with stargate.

No and won't. 9th emphasis on elite melee, how about opponent terminators charge to it for acceleration, then avoid my shooting for being in engagement? That would be a very frustrated game experience.

It's an amazing model and offers a wealth of conversion possibilities so I've brought 2 of them however I won't be using them as the actual fortification with how lack luster it is, instead 2 of them shall be perfect conversion material for some projects I have planned including a defiler and levithian. It's a weird unit which encourages a unit to camp near it but we have no long range infantry that would actually benefit camping on it with the -1 to hit (only if already in cover of course) which tbh is nice but isn't that great. You could try putting it as close as possible to the enemy but even then has to be within 9 to actually affect something with its contagions so no opponent will go near it and just destroy it from range probably quite easily. To me just seems like a massive points waste which would be better of spending on one of the elite characters or another poxwalker unit Edited by Plaguecaster

Fortifications shouldn't protect enemy units in melee with it. Feels artificially gamey and dumb.

If that rule was changed, maybe the Nurgle bong would be worth using circumstantially.

Even simply making the self-detonate strategem available at any time, not only when destroyed, could make this fortification much more playable.

Nurgle Bong.... LOL!!!!

I picked one up myself simply to give my gaming table some unique scenery and will count it as an an industrial structure that cannot be breached or scalable (ie just provides dense cover).

Given the number of units and abilities out there that ignore the benefits to cover to armor saves the Malignifier would have been a lot more interesting if the Fog Aura was always Dense Cover.  Nothing worse that buying a $60 model only to have its sole purpose negated because my opponent's marines have decided to be imperial fists today...

To be fair, I think it can have it's uses - blocking paths is one thing, deploying near your deployment zone to give cover to important units (terminators/possessed) is another. You don't have to play it super aggressively.

There are still a lot of shooting armies out there that don't really want to slingshot closer to us so I don't really see it is a big liability.

I might try it out some day - either my opponent wastes shots on it or my guys have cover in the midground.

• 4 months later...

I have not tried it yet, but I just painted it, so I think I'll give it a go in my next 2000pts game.

The Flash Outbreak opportunity looks decent with it, but there is always the fact, after list building, that you find an Elite character that you miss for exactly his points cost (insert Plague Surgeon here ^^)...

Might be good if you start the game and put it between the center objectives, in the middle of the battlefield, but if you don't have first turn it is also a good target for enemy when all your units are hidden in your deployment zone...

So yes it could be a waste, or even a risk infront of a strong assault opponent, but we like to live dangerously ;) !

The model is also actually pretty cool !

• 4 weeks later...

I have not tried it yet, but I just painted it, so I think I'll give it a go in my next 2000pts game.

The Flash Outbreak opportunity looks decent with it, but there is always the fact, after list building, that you find an Elite character that you miss for exactly his points cost (insert Plague Surgeon here ^^)...

Might be good if you start the game and put it between the center objectives, in the middle of the battlefield, but if you don't have first turn it is also a good target for enemy when all your units are hidden in your deployment zone...

So yes it could be a waste, or even a risk infront of a strong assault opponent, but we like to live dangerously ;) !

The model is also actually pretty cool !

The pkague suregon is utter trash so I think I would rather have the bong! :)