"Noble Knight" List, Bladeguard Veterans + Cavalry Support

Schurge

I bought the Indomitus box a while back because I was in love with the Bladeguard Veterans and the Captain and I am looking to expand them to a 2000 point army. I like the Knight motif and want to lean into that fantasy with Bladeguard and Cavalry. I want to be solid in the assault phase but I don't necessarily want to be all assault as I already main World Eaters and regularly run lists with two guns in them at the most. I'm aiming for a semi-competitive list that I can do well with in random pick-up games.

I chose Dark Angels merely because they have more rules supporting cavalry. They will actually be painted as loyalist World Eaters albeit with a marble effect on the plate armor. For all I know this kind of list would be better suited as a different army, in which case I would appreciate that input as well.

I am sticking to Outriders hypothetically because I want to utilize models I already own. I wouldn't be opposed to converting them into Black Knights. 

Items in bold are things I own, items that aren't I would need to buy.

Dark Angels - 11 CP - 2000 Pts

Ravenwing Outrider Detachment (All Have ObSec?)

• [HQ] SMASH Primaris Chaplain on Bike / Canticle of Hate / Master of Maneuver / Honour of the First Legion / Mace of Redemption (Str x2, AP-3, D2) / Warlord / 115 pts
  • [ELITE] Ravenwing Apothecary / 100 pts
  • [FA] Invader ATV x2 / Multi-melta / 85 pts x2
  • [FA] Outrider Squad x3 / 150 pts
  • [FA] Outrider Squad x3 / 150 pts

Vanguard Detachment

• [HQ] Ezekiel / 125 pts
  • [HQ] Primaris LT x2 / Master-crafted Power Sword / Neo-volkite Pistol / 85 pts x2
  • [ELITE] Badeguard Veteran x4 / 140 pts
  • [ELITE] Badeguard Veteran x4 / 140 pts
  • [ELITE] Judiciar / 85 pts
  • [ELITE] Judiciar / 85 pts
  • [FA] Inceptor x3 / Plasma / 165 pts
  • [FA] Inceptor x3 / Plasma / 165 pts
  • [TRN] Impulsor / 110 pts
  • [TRN] Impulsor / 110 pts

Outrider Detachment can move around, block movement, clear chaff, heal, secure, objectives, and the Smash Chaplain can be my special snowflake that slays evil (may convert my Lord Celestant on Dracolion for the job, may convert the new Primaris Biker though I'd rather use that for the Ravenwing Apothecary).

I through in a pair of the ATVs with melta for a bit of mobile anti-tank shooting. I've no idea if they are any good (they are certainly ugly). I have no attachment to them.

Vanguard Detachment is because I want to bring Bladeguard. Each squad gets a Lieutenant for buffs, Judiciar for reliable anti-armor (Str 7, AP-2, Mortal Wounds on 6s) / utility, and an Impulsor for transport. Basically function as two mini melee death stars. I would have made the detachment a Deathwing Vanguard Detachment for ObSec on the Bladeguard Veterans as well and swap the Inceptors for Redemptor Dreadnoughts but then I wouldn't be able to bring the Impulsors or the Judiciars without also bring a third detachment.

Inceptors are for whatever I might need teleporting or flying plasma for and because Dark Angels are supposed to be good with plasma. With minimal rearangement of points I could swap them out for Redemptor Dreadnoughts and would likely also grab two of those anyway as bench players.

A huge weakness I already see in this list is that it won't scale super well if I need to downsize to 1500 or 1000 points for a game.

Edited by Schurge

On the Ravenwing outrider detachment, only the Outrider squads will have objective secured. The ATVs will be good for anti-tank, they're a solid unit. Attack bikes are a bit better, but the ATV is definitely fine.

For the Vanguard detachment, BGV do not get ObSec from it, as well as that with impulsors, inceptors and Judiciars, it won't be a Deathwing detachment anyways. So the only scoring units in this list are the two Outrider squads.

Since BGV can't get objective secured from the Deathwing detachment, if you're playing a full primaris army, it's usually better to just do a standard detachment and pull in some troops like assault intercessors to get some scoring, as well as impulsors as transports.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

In regards to what WrathOfTheLion pointed out, I believe there's a Warlord Trait grants Obsec to nearby units. You could give that to one of your Lieutenants to make up for the lack.

I'd replace one of the Juduciars with a Bladeguard Ancient with the Pennant of Remembrance. That would reduce by 1 all damage on your BGVs. The Ancient gives them extra attacks too, if I'm not mistaken.

Attack Bikes would get you 3 multimeltas for the same price you're paying for the 2 Invaders. Plus the Apothecary can bring them back. That said, your list is almost entirely Primaris. Maybe you prefer it that way.

My issue with bringing traditional troops is that in order to add some I'd need to drop the Inceptors and I don't think I have enough anti-tank without them. Of course I could also drop the Impulsors... but my experience with Khorne Berserkers tells me transports are necessary.