2000 Point List - 1st 9th Game

corwindal5

So im not new to grey knights but i havnt really played them since 7th edition. Alot has changed since then and im getting back into 40k. Tomorrow im playing my first game of 9th vs Nurgle. Just was wanting to get some feedback on the list. Thanks!

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) [113 PL, 12CP, 2,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Detachment Bonuses: Show Bonuses

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems +

Armoury of Titan

+ HQ +

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight [11 PL, 245pts]: Dreadfist, Dreadknight teleporter, Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Greatsword, Sanctuary

Grand Master Voldus [8 PL, 160pts]: 6: Lore Master, Armoured Resilience, Edict Imperator, Empyrean Domination, Warlord, Warp Shaping

Librarian [6 PL, 105pts]: Artisan Nullifier Matrix, Astral Aim, Gate of Infinity

. Nemesis Warding Stave

+ Troops +

Terminator Squad [11 PL, 190pts]: Gate of Infinity

. Grey Knight Terminator Justicar

. . Nemesis Force Halberd

. 4x Terminator (Halberd): 4x Nemesis Force Halberd, 4x Storm Bolter

Terminator Squad [11 PL, 190pts]: Gate of Infinity

. 4x Terminator (Halberd): 4x Nemesis Force Halberd, 4x Storm Bolter

Terminator Squad [22 PL, 380pts]: Hammerhand

. 9x Terminator (Halberd): 9x Nemesis Force Halberd, 9x Storm Bolter

+ Elites +

Venerable Dreadnought [8 PL, 135pts]: Gate of Infinity, Heavy plasma cannon

. Dreadnought Combat Weapon

. . Storm Bolter

Venerable Dreadnought [8 PL, 135pts]: Astral Aim, Heavy plasma cannon

. Dreadnought Combat Weapon

. . Storm Bolter

+ Fast Attack +

Interceptor Squad [14 PL, 230pts]: Vortex of Doom

. 9x Interceptor (Halberd): 9x Nemesis Force Halberd, 9x Storm Bolter

. Interceptor Justicar

Interceptor Squad [14 PL, 230pts]: Astral Aim

. 9x Interceptor (Halberd): 9x Nemesis Force Halberd, 9x Storm Bolter

. Interceptor Justicar

++ Total: [113 PL, 12CP, 2,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

The list looks solid to me. I would consider putting a few warding staffs in the list just to help survivability.

I will look at that.  Would have to proxy because I don't have the model but that shouldn't be a problem. 

The double interceptor brick really sells this list for me. The only question mark is the plasma dreads.

Thanks for the feedback. Which weapon would you use on the dreads?   

The reason I went with Plasma was I didn't have 10 pts to upgrade to Melta. 

When looking at the profiles if you overcharge the plasma they do base 3 damage when I overcharge them.  With me rerolling 1's because of having 2 masters on the field I thought that the chances of me taking damage would be fairly slim.  They also have 36 inch range vs 24 with the melta so I can go after some back field units with them. 

I had thought maybe about the lascannons but at 20pts per cannon I just couldn't find the points. 

I use melta, seems to work well on the smaller board not to mention I'm getting them close to smite/smack in melee. That is a bit of interesting tech though. Shoot the backline, smite/charge the frontline. It's kind of the middle ground between meltas and las plus it's cheaper. Let me know how it works out for you!

Like the others, I'd go with the meltas over plasmas. I'd find the points to do so, even at the cost of removing the GMNDK teleporter. Sure you could pay 1CP upfront to put him in deep-strike (if you wish), however the GMNDK with a 3++ invuln isn't going to be shifted as easily as you might think, even if you start him on the board (heed the prognosticars). 

Ironically, I think the librarian in this list is actually dead-weight. Hear me out - with the powers you selected, why would you want another cast of GoI when all of your terminators know it, and your interceptors can keep on shunting for 1CP? Astral Aim can be useful, but nothing is stopping you from using one dread to cast it on the other. Either turn him into a Vortex/Inner Fire/Purge Soul caster (remember dominus and sanctic powers don't mix), or replace him with a BC with either Blade of the Forsworn relic, or Soul Glaive (I don't think you have the points for a hammer in this list). Alternatively, you could consider a BroChamp, but that's such a niche selection currently, then you might as well just ignore him. If you were sold on the idea on the BC and you absolutely needed the hammer, downgrade Voldus to a Librarian, and use the spare points for an Apothecary with the Inner Fire combo or as a supporting character for your terminators. Seeing how you are running 3 x 10 terminator bricks, having an apothecary wouldn't be a bad idea at all. That being said, if you don't want to go with the apothecary route, you could make some of those terminators with psycannons or psilencers (I prefer the latter). 

Personally, I'm yet to try the double interceptor brick idea, but as I said countless of times, one brick is enough - others on the forum will disagree. Give at least 3 staves to the terminators though, everything else looks solid.

Edited by Skywrath

Normally I would agree with the others about melta over plasma. However as this list is against deathguard I think the plasma may be better because they reduced damage by 1 so overheated each shot will kill a marine. And with 2 you should average 7 shots a turn.

Though this will mean a lack of anti tank

Like the others, I'd go with the meltas over plasmas. I'd find the points to do so, even at the cost of removing the GMNDK teleporter. Sure you could pay 1CP upfront to put him in deep-strike (if you wish), however the GMNDK with a 3++ invuln isn't going to be shifted as easily as you might think, even if you start him on the board (heed the prognosticars). 

FYI you can't use the Teleportarium (1cp to deepstrike) on a Dreadknight unless they faqed it somewhere.  It can only be used on grey knight infantry and dreadnoughts. 

I played the game and lost.  Mostly due to tactics and just not knowing what my list could do.  Probably won't take the dreadknight GM again.  Just too many points for too little output!.  

The plasma did help but I probably needed a 3rd dreadnought.  I will tweak the list some more and see how it turns out.  The Venerable dreadnoughts actually did great in the list and probably killed more then others. 

I probaby will only take 15 interceptors vs 20.  They are more about board control and that 115 pts could have been spent somewhere else. 

Thank ou all for the feedback it really helps out as I try and figure out my best list!

FYI you can't use the Teleportarium (1cp to deepstrike) on a Dreadknight unless they faqed it somewhere.  It can only be used on grey knight infantry and dreadnoughts. 

I played the game and lost.  Mostly due to tactics and just not knowing what my list could do.  Probably won't take the dreadknight GM again.  Just too many points for too little output!.  

The plasma did help but I probably needed a 3rd dreadnought.  I will tweak the list some more and see how it turns out.  The Venerable dreadnoughts actually did great in the list and probably killed more then others. 

I probaby will only take 15 interceptors vs 20.  They are more about board control and that 115 pts could have been spent somewhere else. 

Thank ou all for the feedback it really helps out as I try and figure out my best list!

I meant about putting the dreadknight into strategic reserves. Looking forward to seeing the details.

@skywrath - I see what you mean by that now.  Sorry. 

I think my big issue is I need to play some smaller point games to get used the 9th and also to how the Grey knights play.  I have a couple of games scheduled Friday that will be 1000 pts each that I am going to try some different lists at so we will how it goes.