Tempestus Griffons - 6th Cohort - Space Wolves Successor

CCE1981

I’ve been struggling with 9th. After doing outstanding in 8th, playing Ultramarine Successor I handedly beat out Iron Hands pre-nerf. I find I keep getting steam rolled by death balls rolling through my line.

I am not a fan of named Characters and love that I can play my own Chapter and not a different paint scheme of a Major Chapter Chapter.

Space Wolf Successor -

Born Heroes

Hungry for Battle

Hq

Primaris Captain - Master-Crafted Power Sword, Relic Shield, Heavy Bolt Pistol - Frost Weapon - Chapter Master - Hunter, Warrior Born - 130 pts, 2 CP

Primaris Librarian - Chief Librarian - Psychic Mastery - Storm Caller, Tempest Wrath, Instincts Awoken - Armor of Russ - 120 pts, 2 CP

Elite

Bladeguard - 5-man - 175 pts

Venerable Dreadnought - Multi-Melta - Dreadnought CCW and Stormbolter - 140 pts

Venerable Dreadnought - Multi-Melta - Dreadnought CCW and Stormbolter - 140 pts

Troops

Heavy Intercessors - 5-man - 5x Hellstorm Bolt Rifle - 140 pts

Heavy Intercessors - 5-man - 5x Hellstorm Bolt Rifle - 140 pts

Infiltrators - 5-man - Helix Adept - 130 pts

Infiltrators - 5-man - Helix Adept - 130 pts

Fast Attack

Inceptors - 3-man - Plasma Exterminators - 165 pts

Heavy Support

Eradicators - 5-man - 4x Melta-Rifle - 1x Multi-Melta - 235 pts

2,000 pts, 8CPs

Thoughts?

Edited by CCE1981

• 1 month later...

I know this is a month late but I thought I’d add my 2cents/pence. I also use a space wolf successor but use born heroes and Whirlwind of rage. I do this because units that count as being in assault doctrine get the benefit of whirlwind of rage and savage fury. That’s double exploding 6s. So every unmodified hit of 6 counts as 3 hits. Over the course of a game it adds up immensely. Especially for units like Wulfen who always count as being in assault doctrine. So using keen senses on these Wulfen have them hitting on 2s with hammers when they charge getting 3 hits for every 6 to hit! For things like assault intercessors or blade guard that is also huge.

Which brings me to my next point. Getting key elements of our army into assault doctrine early isn’t too tough. We can use the instincts awoken psychic power and use the Bestial rage stratagem. I like to bring a jump chapter master with frost claws. He gives himself the chapter master Reroll ability and I use bestial rage. This allows me with the right warlord traits to have 8 attacks on the charge and double exploding 6s. If it’s not a 6 I Reroll it and fish for more 6s. He hits on 2d anyway so you have nothing to loose. The ones are always irrelevant after I get multiple 6s in my experience. He is the shredder and his frost claws are the bane of intercessors or heavy infantry.

Additionally, I recommend having 3 ways to to make your opponent fight last. I use a Judiciar, the armor of Russ relic, and The Murderous Hurricane Psychic power. Murderous Hurricane makes the opponent fight last and shuts off overwatch. It’s super clutch against nasty shooty units you want to eat with your assault units.

Is your heart set on heavy intercessors? They might be great as I’ve bot used them but I’d trade them in for assault intercessors with a fist and use the leftover points towards a Judiciar. You would have to find more points but you could do that by swapping a unit of incursors for a unit of infiltrators.

This is just my humble advice. I’d like to know how your list performs after a few games.

I’m actually working on a heavier troop version of this list. Not sure if I can get a Judicier in the list without dropping something. I like your idea of fishing for 6s......I might have run away with it:

Space Wolves Successor - Born Heroes, Whirlwind of Rage

HQ

Primaris Chaplain - Master of Sanctity - Litany of Hate, Exhortation of Rage, Canticle of Hate - The Vox Espiritum - Wise Orator, Hunter - 110 pts, 2CPs

Primaris Librarian - Chief Librarian - Psychic Mastery - Storm Caller, Tempest Wrath, Instincts Awoken - Armor of Russ - 120 pts, 2 CP

Primaris Lieutenant - Neo-Volkite Pistol, Master-Crafted Power Sword, Storm Shield - Warrior Born - Burning Blade - 90 pts, 2 CP

Troops

Incursors - 5-man - 105 pts

Incursors - 5-man - 105 pts

Assault Intercessors - 5-man - Thunderhammer - 115 pts

Assault Intercessors - 5-man - Thunderhammer - 115 pts

Intercessors - 5-man - Auto-bolt Rifles - Chainsword - 100 pts

Intercessors - 5-man - Auto-bolt Rifles - Chainsword - 100 pts

Elite

Wulfen - 5-man - Wulfen Claws - 4x Thunderhammer and Storm Shield - 194 pts

Fast Attack

Attack Bikes - 3-man - 3x Multi-Meltas - 165 pts

Attack Bikes - 3-man - 3x Multi-Meltas - 165 pts

Litany of Hate re-rolls to hit fishing for 6’s on a Wulfen unit with 16 ThunderHammer attacks on the charge, hitting on 2s and with Exhortation of Rage re-rolling 1’s. Question is Vox Espiritum for 9” Auras or Benediction of Furry? Easy saga to get online to allow everyone to Charge after Advancing.

Librarian - helps get everyone into combat, and once in Combat buffs units needing only a 5 on any cast. Armor of Russ to give him an Invulnerable save.

Lieutenant - gave him an invuln, pseudo Champion attempt to bring his saga online. Could drop for Judicier

Incursors - disruption and midboard objectives

Assault Intercessors - close support to add weight of attacks

Intercessors - mobile fire support where needed

Bladeguard - elite murder machines

Wulfen - Chapter Heroes seeking a glorious death and granting re-roll charges - can’t get Armor of Russ AND Wulfen Stone, Stone is reproducible elsewhere.

Inceptors - Incredible unit here, amazing for damaging almost anything

Attack bikes - fast ranged anti-tank

So unfortunately the Wulfen can’t be a candidate for rerolls because They are not Core. For this reasons I usually take at least 1 extra hammer guy. But with the keen Senses and born heroes they are still super nasty. Especially when used as a counter charge unit. I often make them the recipient of the 6” heroic intervention strat as well. That’s always a nasty surprise for the opponent.