Book of Rust teaser

Trollbeard

Typhus is one of my all one favourite characters in the 40k setting so I’m pretty stoked it’s about him lol! It’s interesting also because we just did get a new codex lol, we’ll potentially be getting new rules before a lot of factions get an updated 9th Ed codex lol

I wish: GW release a new model with the new-introduced discipline, just like Master of Possession and Malefic discipline, Phobos librarian and Obscuration discipline. (very low chance, since no teaser or rumor at all)

I don't wish: the new discipline is Harbingers exclusive.

Edited by Tokugawa

Based on the number of poxwalkers in the Combat Patrol Box I would not be surprised if the army of renown rules boost the number of poxwalkers you can field in a detachment.

Anyone else surprised by the DG rules including a new Discipline?  We already have 6 excellent spells.  Hopefully the new discipline will have some really interesting, unique powers.  But its hard to imagine them being worthy of losing out on Miasma, Vitality, Curse of the Leper, and Gift of Plagues.  

Based on the number of poxwalkers in the Combat Patrol Box I would not be surprised if the army of renown rules boost the number of poxwalkers you can field in a detachment.

Anyone else surprised by the DG rules including a new Discipline? We already have 6 excellent spells. Hopefully the new discipline will have some really interesting, unique powers. But its hard to imagine them being worthy of losing out on Miasma, Vitality, Curse of the Leper, and Gift of Plagues.

Regardless if they are better or worse I want my options. Loyalist marines get their choices of disciplines, we should get ours. I personally rather just have access to dark hereticus than new spells. Those spells are so tight. Mortarion warptiming himself across the board would be sweet haha.

Anyone else surprised by the DG rules including a new Discipline?  We already have 6 excellent spells.  Hopefully the new discipline will have some really interesting, unique powers.  But its hard to imagine them being worthy of losing out on Miasma, Vitality, Curse of the Leper, and Gift of Plagues.  

Loyalist have relic which made their psyker keep their (usually chapter special) original Discipline, and could cherrypick 1 spell from other Disciplines(namely: Null zone). Which is very powerful. If the new DG discipline works in the same way, Periapt would be fairly playable.

Loyalist have relic which made their psyker keep their (usually chapter special) original Discipline, and could cherrypick 1 spell from other Disciplines(namely: Null zone). Which is very powerful. If the new DG discipline works in the same way, Periapt would be fairly playable.

Sevenfold blessings even more as well unless new discipline is Typhus' company only which I hope it isn't

Just posting here for the sake of completionism:

Terminus Est Assault Force:

• Army cannot include any units with the VEHICLE keyword

• All units in your army must be DEATH GUARD and, if they are from a <Plague Company>, they must be drawn from the Harbingers

• Death Guard Psykers in your army can generate their psychic powers from the Fester Discipline

• Terminus Est Assault Force units in your army gain the Outbreak Assault ability, described below (lets you deep strike Terminus Est Assault Force Bubonic Astartes units)

• Example stratagem: Callous Disregard, 2CP, lets you shoot units in engagement range of friendly Poxwalkers or Plague Followers units from your army (at -1 to hit, and if you miss, it hits the Poxwalkers/Plague Followers)

• Example power: Lungrot, WC7, select an enemy unit within 18" and they cannot advance, can only charge units within 6", and cannot re-roll a charge roll (until start of your next Psychic phase)

• Example relic, Rotgrip: replaces a power fist or plague claw, Sx3, AP-3, D2, plague weapon

Not really sold on this, and I say that as a huge Typhus/Terminus Est/zombie fan

Just posting here for the sake of completionism:

Terminus Est Assault Force:

• Army cannot include any units with the VEHICLE keyword

• All units in your army must be DEATH GUARD and, if they are from a <Plague Company>, they must be drawn from the Harbingers

• Death Guard Psykers in your army can generate their psychic powers from the Fester Discipline

• Terminus Est Assault Force units in your army gain the Outbreak Assault ability, described below (lets you deep strike Terminus Est Assault Force Bubonic Astartes units)

• Example stratagem: Callous Disregard, 2CP, lets you shoot units in engagement range of friendly Poxwalkers or Plague Followers units from your army (at -1 to hit, and if you miss, it hits the Poxwalkers/Plague Followers)

• Example power: Lungrot, WC7, select an enemy unit within 18" and they cannot advance, can only charge units within 6", and cannot re-roll a charge roll (until start of your next Psychic phase)

• Example relic, Rotgrip: replaces a power fist or plague claw, Sx3, AP-3, D2, plague weapon

Not really sold on this, and I say that as a huge Typhus/Terminus Est/zombie fan

Me neither, and I love Typhus. I am happy though that they showed the main trade off in the preview. I would have been pretty mad had they not and I wasted my money on the book.

Its not all doom and gloom.  Being able to deep strike plague marines and support characters is interesting.  This allows you to deep strike in support characters with our terminators.  5 Deathshroud dropping in with a Biologist is scary if you pull off the charge.  3 Blightspawn dropping in with their D2 flamers could really mess a marines day.  Also helps get units in range of the Harbringer's lack luster mortal wounds aura.  Perhaps not super competitive but honestly I don't want these book to have super competitive rules in them.  I want thematic rules that change how the army plays, and this delivers on that premise.

What is really baffling is the underwhelming relic powerfist.  So you get STR12, but at STR 8 you are already wounding T8 tanks on 3s and T5 on 2s due to the -1T aura.  Is it worth a relic spot to wound T7 & T6 tanks on 2s?  At least the relic eliminates the -1 to hit.  It could be interesting on a champion (if they faq the strat to allow this), or to give a generic lord a plague weapon powerfist but we already have good relics and I don't see this bumping one of them.

"Your army cannot include any vehicle?"

Bye

Exactly my thought. I went through all the stages of grief in just the first line of their summary. After that it doesn't matter what the rest said. That army is going to get destroyed even in friendly games with no vehicles.

Death Guard Terminus Est Assault Force

Typhus

Terminator Sorcerer

Deamon Lord

20 Poxwalkers

20 Poxwalkers

20 Poxwalkers

20 Poxwalkers

Virons 1 - Blightspawn, Surgeon, Putrifier

Virons 2 - Putrifier, Tallyman

5 Blightlords

5 Blightlords

3 Deathshroud

3 Deathshroud

Total is 1950, leaving 50 points for wargear.   Spend 3 CP to place the Deamon Lord and all Viron Characters into Strategic Reserve.  Start the game with the Poxwalkers on the table and everything else Deep Strikes (is there still a rule about 50% needing to start on the table?).  Maybe not super competitive, but definitely fun and unique.

Deamon Lords have the B Astartes keyword.  If nothing else, deepstrike a DL into your opponents back line and watch them panic...

Death Guard Terminus Est Assault Force

Typhus

Terminator Sorcerer

Deamon Lord

20 Poxwalkers

20 Poxwalkers

20 Poxwalkers

20 Poxwalkers

Virons 1 - Blightspawn, Surgeon, Putrifier

Virons 2 - Putrifier, Tallyman

5 Blightlords

5 Blightlords

3 Deathshroud

3 Deathshroud

Total is 1950, leaving 50 points for wargear. Spend 3 CP to place the Deamon Lord and all Viron Characters into Strategic Reserve. Start the game with the Poxwalkers on the table and everything else Deep Strikes (is there still a rule about 50% needing to start on the table?). Maybe not super competitive, but definitely fun and unique.

Deamon Lords have the B Astartes keyword. If nothing else, deepstrike a DL into your opponents back line and watch them panic...

So... What's a deamon lord? Do you mean Daemon Prince or Chaos Lord?

So the no vehicles rule sucks and is quite hard to work around would of been better if no tanks instead then that way we could at least have dreads

I just realized though DG can have rapiers which are not vehicles so they could at least be take to fulfill some long range anti tank which we are lacking at least by taking it. Curious to see what the rest of the powers are and if they are harbingers only

Edited by Plaguecaster

So the no vehicles rule sucks and is quite hard to work around would of been better if no tanks instead then that way we could at least have dreads

I just realized though DG can have rapiers which are not vehicles so they could at least be take to fulfill some long range anti tank which we are lacking at least by taking it. Curious to see what the rest of the powers are and if they are harbingers only

I believe in the rules preview it said  you had to be Harbingers ONLY to be able to use the formation. So not only does it prohibit all vehicles it forces you to take the worst by far plague company.

Well the new rules look pretty annoying with the no vehicle restrictions, some interesting new stratagems but are so damn CP expensive you will. The relics and some powers however look pretty strong why they are harbingers only is utterly stupid Edited by Plaguecaster