Book of Rust teaser

Trollbeard

You have a psychic power that gives Poxwalkers +3" to move and advance, the ability to DS bubonic astartes units outside 9", the ability to shoot any unit in CC with poxwalkers, and the ability to recycle poxwalkers.

Not judging this until I see it in play

I'm sorry to burst your bubble as but it's not a power, every single one of the abilities are stratgems and pretty damn expensive at that. Even deep striking costs cp and the min cost is 2cp for anything less than 9pl with anything over going up to 3 or even 5cps just to do so.

What even is that warlord trait. Your warlord can stop enemies from getting objectives but only when bonkers close and *only* if the enemy has shockingly bad LD value? How is that supposed to work?

It's situational but when paired with blightlords strat then you just turn off obsec so it's quite good. Oh and Typhus goes up to 7 attacks which makes him a beast.

Any way I like this regiment, my typhus list had 0 vechicles anyway so Itvs pure buffs for me.

I start the board with 10 blightlords, 60 poxwalkers and 5 spawn to clear enemy screens so when turn 2 hits, I have space to drop deathshroud and possessed with biologus.

Oh and a daemon prince with rotten constitution wl trait and accelerated entropy power looks like a great charachter sniper. Give him the relic the elongates his psychic by 6 and you have 24 target mw dealer.

Is there a link showing more of the DG rule in the new book?

I saw that TableTop Titans was doing a necron vs Drukhari batrep and the Q&A video afterwards wasn’t going to look into Book of rust.

Is this where you guys are getting the info? I haven’t had a chance to watch yet.

I am annoyed that the Fester dicipline is Harbingers only. That is just stupid restrictive and makes no sense when it comes to game balance. Other than that, I like the Terminus Est deployment, that's cool, but this should have been in the codex and while I am going to read the book, I am not sure I am willing to buy it. It is some what an affront to me that it came immediately after the codex, which is a shorter codex in page numbers than other 9th ed codices, while having such restrictive Teminus Est only rules. I think many are going to ignore intellectual license concerning this product, when it is such an obvious money grab and it is a shame. I for one, would certainly have bought the book had it been more than a scant very few pages, better then to produce a larger codex and take more money for that than buy this. It annoys me, I really dislike this.

That having been said, I love the Terminus Est deployment rules and the new dicipline is cool (but makes me irate since it is Typhus-gang only, which is absurd when we have an entire company of thousands of Plague Marines and sorcerers who specialices in psychic powers). Thus to me, the entire Fester dicipline manifests as a blatant, heavy handed money grab. It is just there in that book to make you buy it, nothing else. The dicipline belongs to the codex.

Edited by Iron Sage

Little question.

So if we take a Terminus Est detachment it HAS to be the Harbingers one.

However if we take a second detachment does the second one HAVE to be Harbingers too (As long as the second one does not have any vehicles or mortarion?) 

Here's the write up from Goonhammer, worth reading:

https://www.goonhammer.com/war-zone-charadon-the-book-of-rust-review-the-matched-play-rules/

The sample army list near the bottom gives you a sense of how Terminus Est could work. Possessed and Deathshroud supported by a horde of Poxwalkers. Sounds like the author put 4 units in reserve using the Stratagem.

"The strategy of putting the Possessed in deep strike reserves with the Blightspawn and the Putrifier was pretty solid – they did good work and benefit from being able to drop in further afield. The Daemon Prince was also interesting – Rotwind essentially gives him the ability to roll a 2+ against any attack in the game, but Condit’s Haemonculus was able to deny his cast of it on Drazhar and ultimately he went down to AP-3 attacks.

The biggest challenge you’re going to have with these lists is figuring out what to leave on the board since you need 1,000+ points deployed on the table. I think next time I’ll just walk the Deathshrouds and will consider replacing the unit of Plaguemarines with more deathshrouds, since they’re better for holding the middle of the table. The other thing I learned is that you’re going to want to take a unit of 10 Poxwalkers so you have the option to bring back a unit of 10 for 2 CP rather than 3 – late in the game 3 CP is a big ask, especially when you start down 6+. The Tallyman is a must-take in these lists."

So go horde, control objectives, maximize CPs and hammer your opponent with heavy infantry. I could see that working in some games, chewing through 80+ Poxwalkers is going to be hard for most armies.

I am annoyed that the Fester dicipline is Harbingers only. That is just stupid restrictive and makes no sense when it comes to game balance. Other than that, I like the Terminus Est deployment, that's cool, but this should have been in the codex and while I am going to read the book, I am not sure I am willing to buy it. It is some what an affront to me that it came immediately after the codex, which is a shorter codex in page numbers than other 9th ed codices, while having such restrictive Teminus Est only rules. I think many are going to ignore intellectual license concerning this product, when it is such an obvious money grab and it is a shame. I for one, would certainly have bought the book had it been more than a scant very few pages, better then to produce a larger codex and take more money for that than buy this. It annoys me, I really dislike this.

That having been said, I love the Terminus Est deployment rules and the new dicipline is cool (but makes me irate since it is Typhus-gang only, which is absurd when we have an entire company of thousands of Plague Marines and sorcerers who specialices in psychic powers). Thus to me, the entire Fester dicipline manifests as a blatant, heavy handed money grab. It is just there in that book to make you buy it, nothing else. The dicipline belongs to the codex.

I don't see why these rules should be in the codex. It's for people that collect harbingers. And no, faction specific rules shouldn't be for everyone, let's have some diversity eh?

I don't see why these rules should be in the codex. It's for people that collect harbingers. And no, faction specific rules shouldn't be for everyone, let's have some diversity eh?

I have absolutely no problem with you or anyone else disagreeing with me, but that's how I feel and think about it. Terminus Est is nice, but to keep a psychic dicipline apart from the codex when they were made at the approximately same time, the two products ? That makes me dislike the product for the reasons I stated above. But this is my opinion and I respect that you think otherwise.  Let us agree to disagree !

I have absolutely no problem with you or anyone else disagreeing with me, but that's how I feel and think about it. Terminus Est is nice, but to keep a psychic dicipline apart from the codex when they were made at the approximately same time, the two products ? That makes me dislike the product for the reasons I stated above. But this is my opinion and I respect that you think otherwise.  Let us agree to disagree !

Had a similar thought after reading through the rules.

A good Codex gives players multiple routes to construct a comparatively useful army.

Codex DG doesn't fail at that, but Terminus Est isn't some kind of bespoke ruleset. It's the same models with a different combination of artefacts, Stratagems, psychic powers and unit limitations.

It's not that there's not a place for this, but I'm thinking about Traitor's Hate, Traitor Legions, the Vigilius and Psychic Awakening books. They corrected problems with the Codexes that emerged after ones were released. It's a little too soon after the Codex for this to be popping up and not think it could have been in the Codex in the first place.

The other thing about those books: they appeared near the end of an edition. You had the sense GW was letting players test ideas, or at least experimenting with some that never made it into the original Codex. I'd rather GW did a little more of this in the Codexes themselves, put out some crazy ideas and scale them back if they prove to be too crazy. Because the audience for things like Book of Rust is smaller than the audience for C:DG and more people trying things is better than less.

As far as it being a money grab - would not go that far. They are trying to build Crusade up a bit and products like this are necessary for that to happen. If they plan to entice players by releasing new 'modes' of playing existing armies, that's understandable. But it did leave me feeling these rules could have been in Codex DG.

I do think the discipline should be available to all DG. Harbingers getting a themed force is fine, cool even, but given they're effectively a subfaction of a subfaction, gatekeeping something as significant as a psychic lore (doubling the powers available to the DG) seems a bit much.

Personally my main gripe with the Terminus Est Rules is the timing of the release.  I would have preferred to see the army of renown rules come out a year or 2 down the road once I've had a chance to play out various combinations from the codex.  Having new, challenging army rules can be fun to experiment with but only after I've mastered what's in the codex or otherwise am feeling that the codex has gone stale.   

Also, If the book had included a Harbingers Codex Supplement that could (not must) be a Temrinus Est Assault Force then we would be feeling much better about the release.  Its disappointing that the Harbinger's ruleset is tied to the requirement to miss out on Vehicles.  If you build a Codex Harbinger's force it will feel like you are missing out on the additional Harbinger's rules.  Very odd decision by GW, given that all other factions in the book received a Codex Supplement and an Army of renown.  

I was able to get 2 games in today with this book, the first against a Deathwing army and the second a Tryanids army. I can’t tell you the final score because they both conceded, first one after 2 1/2 turns and the second after 2. I’ve got some ideas how to make the list better, so I hope the next go around goes even better.

I was able to get 2 games in today with this book, the first against a Deathwing army and the second a Tryanids army. I can’t tell you the final score because they both conceded, first one after 2 1/2 turns and the second after 2. I’ve got some ideas how to make the list better, so I hope the next go around goes even better.

Did you use Typhus? How many poxwalkers? Is your list basically poxwalkers and terminators?

I would love to hear more about the game against Deathwing.  I would have expected that to be a tough matchup.  

Here is the list and yes I took Typhus. While I don’t think he is needed, it just seems like the right thing to do.

Against DA the mission was Retrieval.

My secondaries: Spread the Sickness, WWSWF, and Engage.

DA secondaries: Raise the Banners, WWSWF, and the DA one where they just sit on an objective all game.

I went first and pushed hard up the board, except for the 20 Poxwalkers I left in my DZ to keep him from showing up behind me. His turn he moves up and gets 3 banners and kills a few Poxwalkers.

My next turn I play Dead Walk Again and get 5 back, which was just enough to get 1 within 3” of one of his objectives and he was holding it with a non-objecsecure unit. So I got 15 Primary points and removed 1 of his banners. On that objective I played Mutant Strain and Wratful Dead, after rerolls I did 6 MWs and a bunch of normal wounds. He had 1 guy left and I trapped him in combat. On the other objective I rushed 20 Poxwalkers and 10 Possessed, cleaned him off that objective easily. He counter charged the next turn but I had enough bodies he couldn’t get the objectives.

So at the end of turn 2 it was 24-7 and all my terminators were going to be charging into him. Plus I was getting another 15 for holding more, would have been spreading the sickness on a 3rd, he was getting ready to lose a second WWSWF unit and mine were all fully intact.

++ Battalion Detachment ++

103 PL, 2,000pts, 9CP

Plague Company: The Harbingers

Terminus Est Assault Force

+ Stratagems +

Gifts of Decay [-2CP]: 2x Additional Relics

+ HQ +

Death Guard Daemon Prince: Gift of Contagion, Hulking Physique, Foetid Wings, Hellforged sword, Mark of the Terminus Est, Plaguechosen

Malignant Plaguecaster: Lungrot, Rotwind, Filth Censers

Typhus: Miasma of Pestilence, Putrescent Vitality, Harbinger of Death, Shamblerot, Warlord

+ Troops +

20x Poxwalkers

20x Poxwalkers

20x Poxwalkers

10x Poxwalkers

+ Elites +

Blightlord Terminators

Blightlord Champion: Balesword, Combi-bolter

2x Blightlord Terminator: Bubotic Axe, Combi-bolter

Blightlord Terminator: Blight launcher, Bubotic Axe

Blightlord Terminator: Flail of corruption

Blightlord Terminators

Blightlord Champion: Balesword, Combi-bolter

2x Blightlord Terminator: Bubotic Axe, Combi-bolter

Blightlord Terminator: Blight launcher, Bubotic Axe

Blightlord Terminator: Flail of corruption

10x Death Guard Possessed

Deathshroud Terminators

Deathshroud Champion: 2x Plaguespurt gauntlet

4x Deathshroud Terminator

Foul Blightspawn: Revolting Stench-vats, Viscous Death

Foetid Virion:

Noxious Blightbringer

Plague Surgeon

Tallyman

Created with BattleScribe

Edited by McElMcNinja

Nice!

That list is more or less the same as my Typhus list, although I go 10 poxwalkers less and try to fit in a max spawn squad as I think this list needs the speed to get on obejectives fast.

So did you deepstrike any units? I thought deepstriking possessed with nade man was a good idea.

And did you start your terminators on the board with the blightbringer? His aura doesn't work on poxwalkers...

I did not deepstrike, with Noxious Blightbringer the possessed move 8” and I’m advancing them turn 1. Turn 2 with NB bonus they move another 8”, after moving that far they usually have a small charge. If we had a reliable way to charge from deepstrike I would go that route. NB also helps all my terminators move faster, along with other Virions.

The list still needs tweaking, I’m not sure the DP is needed. Might switch him out for another Plaguecaster or Sorcerer in TA. Also thinking about swapping the NB for a second Tallyman, allowing me to give two units +1 to hit. I also like the idea of having a Putrifier next to my Deathshroud and/or Blightlords, that’s a lot of attacks to fish for MWs.

I just have one complaint about the Book of Rust, we have to pay more CP to put Poxwalkers in strategic reserves, but they don’t get to deepstrike. GW should fix that, I’d be happy with either normal CP cost to reserve them or let them deepstrike.

Edited by McElMcNinja