Tomb World of Crix

USNCenturion

Ahoy! New edition and new year means new thread for a new army. I have two Indomitus boxes and the Eradication Legion built. I’m waiting on the codex (damned COVID delays!) and cans of Runelord Brass and Leadbelcher sprays. They are still awaiting shipment from GW, and I’m becoming a steadily sad robot skeleton waiting for them.

The only build decisions I’ve had to make so far were deciding on gauss immortals, heat ray for the Stalker, sword and board Lychguard, and splitting 30 reapers and 20 flayers. I have the spyders gun left off and the scythes attachment unglued; both of these assemblies can be held on by friction so I’m good to go there. I like fully assembling as much as I can; subassemblies and magnets run counter to my anxieties and impatience. Maybe I’ll see the light one day.

For tomb world I’m leaning towards Nephrekh or Mephrit; I like the mobility and other toys Nephrekh gets, but extra range and elevating Tesla is a big appeal to me for Mephrit. I kind of want to stick with green glow though so I’m not sure Mephrit will be for me. I picked up a pot of tesseract glow and really want to use it. I also want more of a Sautekh/Szerekhan scheme for my bodies so Nephrekh won’t be fully gold either if I go that route. We shall have to see once my spray cans come in and I get paint to models.

I am having hip arthroscopy at the end of the month, so I’m hoping I can use April to get in some quality model time. My goal is to have this force fully painted by May 1, so I can try to get a game in at my local store if it’s open for gaming then. I’m taking a patient approach to this army and will try to keep my purchases staggered; I have a bad habit of buying in bulk and losing interest in the army as I find I’ve bit off more than I can chew.

So, goals for remainder of March and April:

Pick a dynasty

Fully paint and base my current models

Schedule a game for May using a list with my available force

I’ll learn how to post pics and leave them here as I go. I’ll let you know how I get on and what dynasty I’ve settled on. Thanks mates!

Nice! I'm very new to the crons. Only recently bought the necron half of the indomitus box and some extra skorpekh destroyers. I've only just started painting mine. Im doing a Szarekhan paint job.

Really struggling with the power affect on the blades though!

I’m just starting off too - painting and assembling but no games yet.

Think I’m going to go without protocols and have two dynasties. Mephrit (in skelator colors) for shooty units and Novokh (in silver tide) for melee.

I fully identify with this!:

“ I have a bad habit of buying in bulk and losing interest in the army as I find I’ve bit off more than I can chew. ”

@Coolpants - have you looked at some of Peachys painting tutorials on you tube? They have a few for painting blades of different colors.

@dicegod - splitting the force is a good idea, I didn’t really think of that. I’m not so competitive minded to miss the benefit of protocols. Something to think about for sure.

I’m thinking spraying my base Warriors in leadbelcher; they’re the grunts and shouldn’t have much in the way of ornamentation, plus going over all their silver parts for 50 guys if I spray them brass will lead to me ditching the army most likely haha. I’ll spray them and drench them in some canoptek armor shade or Nuln oil, and also use the silver spray for the night/doom scythe and stalker legs. The brass spray will be for immortals and up, since there’s fewer of them and they deserve that extra attention. I’m debating whether I put a nihilakh type color onto my guys as a secondary color. Not sure, still debating. I’m also really going back and forth on the orange glow versus green. I’d probably like to keep it across the whole army... decisions, decisions

While I wait on my primer cans and book to come from GW (ugggh) I’ve been thinking not only of color schemes but lore backgrounds.

One thing I’ve been coming back to is a take on Bretonnia and Flesh Eaters. The silver of Necrons lends itself perfectly to a knightly theme with their body and shoulders providing a palette for heraldry and the like. The idea being this tomb world woke up and thinks of itself as lords and knights, stuck in an old chivalrous protector type of mindset instead of concerned with galactic domination and vengeance.

I don’t think I’m brave enough to pull off a full-on old Bretonnia army color scheme, and I’m not sure what rules to pick to for the theme, but I’m definitely brainstorming around in my head.

Can’t really do much else without my primers. ☹️

My book and sprays came in today, so I was pretty pumped about that. Saturday is a day spent with the wife and kids so I haven’t had a chance to get into the book yet or prime, but come Monday, that’s exactly the plan.

I’m leaning towards a Sautekh scheme, with elements of Szerekhan mixed in on the more elite and lordly units. If I do decide to go with Nephrekh rules, I thought about putting some gold flakes onto the silver bodies somehow; I’m not a fan of full gold crons so a hint of that either through stippling or highlights might do the trick.

We’ll see what happens Monday lol

So before going out with the family for the Sunday (bummer lol) I put paint to some test models. I sprayed 5 Warriors leadbelcher and 1 warrior, a skorpekh lord, overlord, and warden with the runelord brass. I did the night scythe and lower stalker assembly with the silver too.

I’m going to test Nuln oil and cryptek armorshade gloss on various models. I’m thinking to save paint, I’ll put leadbelcher on the rank and file and hope to tie them into the brass nobility and elites with the washes.

The runelord brass spray is such a great color though, and the coverage is amazing. I’m instantly in love with this color spray. I may actually do the Warriors in this and just block in the silver bits, not sure yet.

For my lords, my thought is to use a Nihilakh color on their chest or shoulder pieces, as it will show nobility and provide a barrier between the brass and any gold trim I’d like to use. Whether I use Nihilakh Oxide, Sotek Green, or Thousand Sons Blue remains to be tested.

I’ll have the morning to try everything out tomorrow. I’m already proud of myself; most times I’d spray everything one color and get discouraged when the scheme didn’t work out. I’m practicing patience with these robots and it’s already working itself out nicely for me. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

So I had the morning to play around with schemes and whatnot. I found I really didn’t like the cryptek armor shade gloss actually. It was almost like a paint in that it colored both the leadbelcher and runelord brass and really darkened them down. I mean it was a useful tool if that’s what I was going for but it just wasn’t what I expected. The shine wasn’t too bad, just wasn’t really a recess wash like I wanted. Maybe I used it wrong or had a bad batch.

That said, the runelord brass is a great color but I found I didn’t have patience to block in over 50 models worth of silver bits, so my decision to go full leadbelcher was made quite easy for me haha.

A while ago i swore to myself if I ever did another necron army, I wouldn’t get cute and would just prime silver and drench with a wash; so I’m glad I went with my original gut instinct. I also notice if I try to mimic a popular or official color scheme I am too hard on myself and get discouraged. Doing the box art Szerekhan scheme looked cool, but I’d be hard pressed to match it exactly and wouldn’t be satisfied.

So the Sautekh scheme it is for me. I have more room for adding decorations and focusing on getting the army onto the tabletop where it belongs. It’s not gonna win any awards but it’s something I hope I can be proud of.

Gonna go hard at washing tomorrow and will try to learn how to add photos here for a progress report.

Still no idea what dynasty rules I’m gonna use though.

• 2 weeks later...

Surgery went well, but I was so scatter brained and busy the days before I didn’t really have time to make much progress. I did buy a box of death marks to put together as a shot of positivity and just to have that unit.

I can’t really sit comfortably right now because of my hip, so I’m not sure when I’m gonna get to paint again. Hopefully I can find a stool to use that lets me do it.

I did put lots of progress into some Warriors and my skorpekh destroyers. I got through the Nuln oil wash, and a necron compound drybrush, and black templar contrast on the gun casings. I used agrax earthshade on the destroyers to highlight their craziness and lack of care; I think they still tie in and will look more so when the weapons and glow goes onto them. I also got through some scarab bases as well.

I bought myself a bottle of gryph charger orange contrast; I’m not resolved on whether to go green tesseract glow or orange glows for my weapons and body. Has anyone used that orange contrast for a Mephrit scheme? How does it look and what’s the best way to apply it to make it pop?