Unit of the Week: Venomthropes

Xenith

++Venomthropes++

LvLnMIE.jpg

We have a new unit of the week! This week it's onto the smoggy serpentine...things, then Venomthropes. Designed to protect the swarm as opposed to causing damage, we don't see these on the table too often. What are you thoughts, and how best would you use these?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • What size unit? Will you be running multiple units?
  • What Hive Fleet Traits, Adaptations and Stratagems do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?

Over to you.

Edited by Xenith

Another unit I've not had the chance to use on the table. I have to say I'm not impressed, 30-40pts for a -1 to hit, or 16% damage reduction for termagants? You're better off just buying more termagants. A unit of 6 might be good to protect monsters, but I think the Malanthrope does a much better job, with more protection, for less.

Has anyone had any experience or good results with them?

The -1 to-hit is the attention getter since you only need three of them to apply it to a Monster, but the Always Fight First is the interesting ability I think.

Anyone who's charged into Slanneshi Daemons can attest that has the potential to be really strong if you can spam it, and between the Venomthropes and Toxicrenes we can put Always Fight First on half an army. It's got a punishingly high opportunity cost though, and Toxicrenes and Venopthropes are not in the same category as Daemonettes and KoSs.

It's an idea that might have play as the lead element of a Monster Mash list or something.