Very Interesting Pod About Competitive Wolves

Dark Shepherd

https://www.stitcher.com/s?eid=82392117&refid=asa

Latest AOW pod from FLGN, goes through list/tactics of a guy tearing up tries with Space Wolves

Some highlights

Technically its Wolves successor with extra exploding 6s and plus one on charge

Lightning claws and chainswords for days

No Armour of Russ on big bases eg biker priests or TWC characters

Was just listening to it.  Very interesting.  I've been playing around with Born Heroes and Whirlwind of Rage as well, although I also include a Judiciar in addition to Armor of Russ and a Rune Priest with Murderous Hurricane.

I play all Primaris, so none of those jump troops, but more Incursors/Infiltrators.  Glad to hear this is doing well.

After all these talks I am curious how double exploding 6s work as well

I will whip up a SW successor and give this a play too.

Do we notice the lack of HI?

Do we enjoy the triple hit big weapons more?

My wife and I are in the middle of selling/buying a home so my home games are on pause until it is settled. I am going to do a SW successor with Whirlwind of Rage and the +1 to advance/charge tactic. I'll post results. I am curious if the lack of HI will make any difference. All my opponents know how to play around HI with my Wolves.

My wife and I are in the middle of selling/buying a home so my home games are on pause until it is settled. I am going to do a SW successor with Whirlwind of Rage and the +1 to advance/charge tactic. I'll post results. I am curious if the lack of HI will make any difference. All my opponents know how to play around HI with my Wolves.

I think you’ll miss the +1 to-hit more than enjoy the 1” to-charge—big hit to lethality

I think you’ll miss the +1 to-hit more than enjoy the 1” to-charge—big hit to lethality

You can't hit what you can't reach in a charge though. If I don't like it I can just play them as regular SW. I will still probably play them as SW almost all the time anyways because I'm a fluff bunny. It doesn't hurt to try out a successor for the first time ever though.

Sorry its not add one to charge rolls its plus one to hit when you charge, as opposed to plus one to hit when charging/charged/HIing

2 other interesting bits, uses stormcaller and also Wulfen, yes Wulfen, but as a defensive/buffing unit.

Sorry its not add one to charge rolls its plus one to hit when you charge, as opposed to plus one to hit when charging/charged/HIing

2 other interesting bits, uses stormcaller and also Wulfen, yes Wulfen, but as a defensive/buffing unit.

I understand that, but if you lose any access to +1 to-hit we lose a tremendous amount of lethality.  I don't understand the need to give that up for +1" to charge, especially with how frequently the opponent has to meet you in the middle.  Seems the better players (of which I am not one) are favoring the +1 to-hit and additional exploding 6s, however, I'm curious to see if people think the additional inch makes up for the loss of hits.  I guess we'll hear from how it's going from everyone's playtesting!

I understand that, but if you lose any access to +1 to-hit we lose a tremendous amount of lethality. I don't understand the need to give that up for +1" to charge, especially with how frequently the opponent has to meet you in the middle. Seems the better players (of which I am not one) are favoring the +1 to-hit and additional exploding 6s, however, I'm curious to see if people think the additional inch makes up for the loss of hits. I guess we'll hear from how it's going from everyone's playtesting!

I have seen many discussions on this

+1 charge is still bad odds that fail more than succeed

7+ (58.3%)

8+ (41.7%)

It also gets wasted when the canticle of hate is available

So in a vacuum +1 charge is nice

But it falls off when you compare the pros/cons

...why do you keep saying that?

Successors get two traits:

#1 = Whirlwind of Rage (which stacks with Savage Fury)

#2 = the debate we’re having: Born Heroes (+1 to-hit on charge) vs. Hungry for Battle (+1” to Advance and Charge).

Tigurius and I are raising the point that +1” to charge is not good compared to +1 to hit on the charge (which Bulveye presumably disagrees with). Respectfully, your rebuttable seems like a non sequitur and I’m not understanding what your point is.

I think Dark Shepard means that the list that the podcast is about was running +1 to hit on the charge, not +1 to charge rolls.

Bingo

I read back up and theres a crossed wire (my fault). Bulwyf was advocating the charge range Tactic, Im talking about the list from the pod which is plus one to hit on the charge. Apologies for any confusion caused

To get things back on track on the pod he was saying any really good players eaisly got around the army wide HI so it never did any good

Edited by Dark Shepherd

I think HI is an abstract enough ability that it's always going to be controversial. I tend to value it higher because I've won games because I got an objective secured unit close enough to an objective to steal without risking the fight that I would have lost. Army wide HI would have prevented it, and I think most people are expecting free charges out of it and that is rare (but can be game altering). Edited by Jorin Helm-splitter