Have you tried Uriel Ventris Yet?

Prot

Hey folks, just wondering if you've had the chance to take him out for a spin yet?

I've had only one game with him... didn't find him that great and the more I thought about his 'cheap' Stratagem ability I realized it should be 'zero cp'. 

With Calgar you're typically getting a Cp back a turn anyway so the discount is moot. I do like Uriel, don't get me wrong. His classic bolter looks the part and is cool.  His sword is okay too. I don't think he's going to find his way into competitive play but for a funsy type rumble he should work fine.

I put him in a list with a larger number of Intercesors, and that's typically where his points went. I felt I had to add a 3 man Bladeguard unit just to keep him alive a bit longer. He never did die in the game but I found I was a little too reluctant to get him into hand to hand vs the White Scars. The game was a loss but he did take some Vanguard down before the end of the game.

I think unlike Calgar, Ventris is just a little too fragile to be putting him up front especially if you are pushing for Oath of Moment center point.

He is good at directing traffic in the background. I think I would be better suited putting him in a list with a more... static fire base. I found I did not really miss the "Chapter Master" aura since its nerf has it being far less potent. But I did miss Marinus' power in close combat.

So that's my quick take but again only  one game with Uriel. I personally would have made some other (minor) tweak to him (not sure what). Has anyone else given him a try?

I have used him in one game against my wife lol

She was playing AdMech (and was getting a lot of help from me, so it's not the most tactically taxing example).

I've made a list using multiple, cheap-ish characters so for me he was very good as a straight upgrade to a generic character for a marginal increase in cost. Prior to Ventris I was using a Captain with Power Fist and Plasma Pistol.

This was the list I used:

-Ventris

-Lt with Sword, Stormshield and Volike, Adept of the Codex, Seal of Oath (Warlord)

-Tigurius

-10 Intercessors with Power Fist sgt

-10 Intercessors with Power Fist sgt

-5 Intercessors with Power Sword sgt

-Primaris Chief Apothecary, Selfless Healer, Vox Espiritum

-Redemptor, Plasma, Gatling, Missiles, Bolters

-5 Boltstorm Aggressors

-2 Victrix

-5 Eradicators

-Repulsor, Heavy Gatling, Gatling, Twin Las, Missiles

For me he is exactly what I expected. A better captain with only a slight increase in cost. I did use the stratagem twice in the game, and was able to keep Adept of the Codex by using a different Warlord.

He also cut down a Tech Priest Manipulus in combat.

I basically ran the army forward, keeping both Aggressors and Intercessors within the Apoth bubble and a 5++

There was no crazy tactics. We both just played the mission and in the end the Ultras had scored more objectives. It was the missions with the objective in the centre of the board that scores more points.

I find the layer of FNP, resurrection and Invul saves to be very effective. Not necessary an Ultras trick but something linked to all Astartes of course.

Edited by Ishagu

Nice Ishagu. Always beat the wife's admech before a real test! :tu:

Just kidding of course... I think my list was very similar except no Repulsor. I did use Bladeguard as mentioned. Very dangerous opponent, and I held him off as long as I could but lost the game in the end, but Ventris did not die! ("The operation was a success but the patient died" )

If I can ever get my wife to play 40K, I will pull him out again! ;)

Nice Ishagu. Always beat the wife's admech before a real test! :tu:

Just kidding of course... I think my list was very similar except no Repulsor. I did use Bladeguard as mentioned. Very dangerous opponent, and I held him off as long as I could but lost the game in the end, but Ventris did not die! ("The operation was a success but the patient died" )

If I can ever get my wife to play 40K, I will pull him out again! ;)

It's not a common occurance by any stretch lol. But when needs must. Lockdown has really hurt gaming in my local scene, understandably.

I managed to have my first game with Uriel yesterday.

He spent early game giving his re-roll aura to a squad of Heavy Intercessors and my two Redemptors (inspiring aura), and then got stuck in to combat. 

I was playing Emperor's Children/Slaanesh Daemons. He plinked the last 2W off a Chaos spawn in the 1st turn, then joined the Heavy Intercessors in taking out a blob of daemonettes, I think he killed 5 himself, in the 2nd. In the 3rd turn hetook out Syll'eske (or however it's spelt) the gymnastic daemon prince. I did use gene-wrought might here for 6s to hit auto wound given it's higher toughness, but only got 1W from this, and two others through normally. I'd plinked 3W off it over the previous turn ( 1 from the Victrix Guard in combat and 2 with my shooting), while Uriel accounted for the remaining 5W. At this point the game was up and I was running away with the points, so I aimed Ventris at the remaining Chaos Lord to finish the game, which he successfully killed too.

I used his Adaptive Strategy once on the Heavy Intercessors , and then got my CP back with Adept of the Codex (on my Techmarine), which was nice.

It's only one game, but overall I think he did well. He managed a good personal haul, although the game was going my way so he could pick and choose his battles. The Damage 3 sword is very nice and really helps get through the opponent.