Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Castigator Reveal

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

sitnam

sitnam

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 489 posts

Yeah, the organizational overview in the 8th dex makes it clear that sisters are quite a force to be reckoned with- the fleet information in particular surprised me. I'd like to see the range grow to represent those things; we could have an Abbess, a Cannoness Superior, a Cannoness Preceptor and a Cannoness Commander. Why not, right?

Frateris militia are also mentioned in that organizational overview more than once, despite the decree passive.

Yeah that made me raise my eyebrows a bit, in the codex they have a box that says sisters of battle rely on Imperial navy ships on long term assignment and on the same page they mention Frateris militia battleships. I mean how does that work? Volunteer battleships!

They actually called them Frateris Templar Battleships. I assume those are the on-loan naval ships the other blurb spoke about.

If Battlefleet Gothic ever came back I'd love for a Ministorum list to be a thing
Posted Image
The Order of His Amethyst Heart
The Dancing Scythes Chapter

Inquisitor_Lensoven

Inquisitor_Lensoven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,475 posts
  • Faction: Paenito Angelus, Black Dragons

Yeah, the organizational overview in the 8th dex makes it clear that sisters are quite a force to be reckoned with- the fleet information in particular surprised me. I'd like to see the range grow to represent those things; we could have an Abbess, a Cannoness Superior, a Cannoness Preceptor and a Cannoness Commander. Why not, right?

Frateris militia are also mentioned in that organizational overview more than once, despite the decree passive.

Yeah that made me raise my eyebrows a bit, in the codex they have a box that says sisters of battle rely on Imperial navy ships on long term assignment and on the same page they mention Frateris militia battleships. I mean how does that work? Volunteer battleships!

It goes back to something that ADB said on twitter once, people discussing how the Imperium works need to remember that the Imperium doesn't actually work that well. The church in particular is incredibly rich and powerful and is almost it's own empire within the empire with entire planets. They will likely bend many rules and just throw money and any problem if that includes wanting a fully functioning independent military force under their direction only why not?

I'd imagine they have combat vessels in their battleship, then rely on regular imperial transports from the navy, the same way the US has its navy and then relies its military sealift command to transport large amounts of troops and cargo.
The answer is on the floor -Shihan John Roseberry

Banjulhu

Banjulhu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 400 posts

It's worth remembering that in the background the Adepta Sororitas exist in part as a ":cuss you" to the Adeptus Terra.

The decree passive was meant to stop them having a fully functioning army and instead force the Ecclesiarchy into just having troops that can do defensive/support tasks and similar. They were meant to be limited, it's just that the church had other ideas and the capacity to see them through.

Should the Sororitas be a fully functional fighting force? No.

Are they a fully functional fighting force? Yes.

The fact that the Adeptus Terra did not see fully just what the Ecclesirachy were doing over the years after the decree and then just accepted the Sisters as they are for the most part once it became obvious that the Imperium needed them is a shining example of the Imperium's internal flaws and that is kind of the point as well.

Edited by Banjulhu, 07 April 2021 - 09:03 AM.

• RolandTHTG likes this

Ficinus

Ficinus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 626 posts
It's not 100% clear what the Decree Passive meant to do. By some accounts, the Sisters are an abuse of a loophole meant to keep the church unarmed. By other accounts Thor knew exactly what he was doing by specifying "men under arms" and intended for the Daughters of the Emperor to become a fighting and police force for the Ecclesiarchy because he trusted that their faith would never let them follow a madman like Vandire again.

As a force meant to police the Ecclesiarchy, things like repressors (an Arbite crowd control tank) make sense. As a front line fighting force both defending cathedral worlds and taking part in crusades, they need battle tanks (like the exorcist).
  • sitnam likes this

Banjulhu

Banjulhu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 400 posts

It's not 100% clear what the Decree Passive meant to do. By some accounts, the Sisters are an abuse of a loophole meant to keep the church unarmed. By other accounts Thor knew exactly what he was doing by specifying "men under arms" and intended for the Daughters of the Emperor to become a fighting and police force for the Ecclesiarchy because he trusted that their faith would never let them follow a madman like Vandire again.

As a force meant to police the Ecclesiarchy, things like repressors (an Arbite crowd control tank) make sense. As a front line fighting force both defending cathedral worlds and taking part in crusades, they need battle tanks (like the exorcist).

Welcome to a background written over many years by different people with their own opinions about what it means.

I would generally say to view it in it's broadest terms. The Adeptus Terra did not want the Ministorum to have so too much power (martial or political) that it could bring the Imperium to it's knees like Goge Vandire did and so made some very wide reaching rulings.

The Ministorum saw the rules and felt they were too limiting so found creative ways around them.

5000 years later it looks like the Ministorum doing so has been a great benefit to the Imperium.

Edited by Banjulhu, 07 April 2021 - 11:54 AM.

• Preliminary Bombardment likes this

Ficinus

Ficinus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 626 posts
I will say in favor of the other argument that the same man who wrote the Decree Passive is the man who granted the Adepta Sororitas permission to begin organizing into a full fighting force, Sebastian Thor. So it seems less cut and dry.
  • War Angel, sitnam and walter h like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users