Painting Wolves tanks

The Fang is a reasonable match for the old Space Wolves grey although not a perfect one. The good news is that it matches the pot of the same name. Here are a couple of tanks I have painted using the Fang cans.

med_gallery_82363_15236_472318.jpg

med_gallery_82363_15236_191118.jpg

med_gallery_82363_15236_693674.jpg

This image might be more useful. Most of the units are painted with the old Space Wolf Grey but the Hellblasters in the centre are painted in the Fang. To my eye, the Fang looks very close but just a smidge darker. To be fair, I don't think I highlighted the Hellblasters quite as heavily as the other units in this photo. If I highlighted a bit more heavily, the difference would probably not be noticeable.

gallery_82363_15236_915833.jpg

I feel like such a shill every time I do this on a primer thread but if you were using GW primers with what amounts to like 4 cans you can get a cheapo airbrush and get infinitely better and more reproducible results with like a stylenrez prime and a smooth basecoat of your choice. You will not be disappointed.

I feel like such a shill every time I do this on a primer thread but if you were using GW primers with what amounts to like 4 cans you can get a cheapo airbrush and get infinitely better and more reproducible results with like a stylenrez prime and a smooth basecoat of your choice. You will not be disappointed.

Got to agree with this, I've got a £90 spraycraft airbrush and compressor and it's a game changer, I can base coat inside, any weather, does not matter if it's raining or snowing the base coat dries real fast (I even use the empty airbrush to blow clean air to speed up the drying), no bad smells. Ok the clean up takes a little bit of time, but I just make sure I've got 5, 10 or so items to spray and then it's worth it.

I'd also say that if you're doing tank, then a cheap airbrush will work great for all you layering, so you'll get them done way quicker!

i second  sbarnby71 in saying get an airbrush.  it may seem daunting at first but it is a game changers esoecially for basecoats on tanks and larger models.  Great for doing batches of troops also.  there are a few good tutorials on youtube on ho to get started also.  The main thing is making sure the paints are thinned to the right consistency.  

Once you have that down its easy enough to start out doing just base coats.  

I agree on the airbrush. I do the modern Russ Grey, which is a pain to get to look good with a brush. It's a breeze to airbrush vallejo german panzer grey, then GW russ grey air paint. Edited by WrathOfTheLion