2000pt Deathwatch infantry list, feedback appreciated.

502Somm

I'm fairly new to Warhammer, but have spent a decent amount of time bouncing ideas of local competitive players, posting on various subs and forums, and reading a lot of posts and articles (shoutout to the great series (https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-unit-roles-in-9th-edition-introduction/) on Goonhammer over list building and unit roles) as I've got about constructing my list, building models, then redoing my list and building new models haha.

One thing I've come across time and time again, from multiple sources, is that many Deathwatch lists essentially are too much of a Swiss Army knife, while more competitive armies are either a hammer or a scalpel. So, I looked over the army I had just built, that utilized 1 of each Kill Team, had a lot of great tricks in the bag, was really flexible and could adapt to most threats. Whoops, it's a Swiss Army Knife. So I went back to the drawing board and tried to think of how I could utilize Deathwatch rules to abuse a few good units to be more of a hammer.

One rule that Deathwatch can get around is the rule of three. I decided to take advantage of this, and ran 5 man squads of powerful models such as Bladeguard Veterans and Inceptors. The Inceptors get another bonus, gaining Obsec, by being in a Kill Team.

Deathwatch also has some great chapter relics, the Dominus Aegis and Beacon Angelis. Every DW list runs them, but I tried to build the list with an exact idea of how they'd be used in game and how they could interact with every unit.

This led to the list below.

Rough gameplan would be to combat squad the Indomitor KTs, deploying the Heavy Intercessors normally, native deep strike the Inceptors. Combat squad the Proteus KTs as well, deploy Vanguard Vets normally, potentially place DW Vets in Teleportarium depending on match-up. Same with the Bladeguard Vets. After deployment Heavy Ints stay and hold backfield objectives and act as a deep strike denial bubble. DW vets foot slog up and used to grab midfield objectives, Librarian and Apothecary in tow. Captain and Chaplain fly up with Van Vets, charging into threats and pushing the enemy off objectives. Inceptors come down and join this bubble. Captain gives them rerolls on 1s so they can overcharge and Chaplain gives them +1 wounds, making them really nasty. Chaplain also buffs the melee of the Captain, Van Vets, and the Bladeguard that he can Beacon in when needed.

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Deathwatch) [107 PL, 7CP, 2,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Detachment Command Cost

Gametype: Matched

+ Stratagems +

Relics of the Chapter [-2CP]: 2x Number of Extra Relics

+ HQ +

Captain [6 PL, -1CP, 130pts]: Dominus Aegis, Jump Pack, Storm shield, Stratagem: A Vigil Unmatched, Warlord, Xenophase blade

. 2. Paragon of their Chapter: Salamanders: Anvil of Strength

. 5. Castellan of the Black Vault: Master-Crafted Weapon

Chaplain [7 PL, -1CP, 135pts]: 2. Catechism of Fire, 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity, Inferno pistol, Jump Pack, Litany of Hate, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, The Beacon Angelis, Wise Orator

Librarian [5 PL, 90pts]: 1. Premorphic Resonance, 2. Fortified With Contempt, Bolt pistol, Force sword

+ Troops +

Indomitor Kill Team [19 PL, 415pts]

. Heavy Intercessor Sergeant: Heavy Bolt Rifle

. 4x Heavy Intercessor w/ Heavy Bolt RIfle: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Rifle

. 5x Inceptor w/ Plasma Exterminators: 5x 2x Plasma Exterminators

Indomitor Kill Team [19 PL, 415pts]

. Heavy Intercessor Sergeant: Heavy Bolt Rifle

. 4x Heavy Intercessor w/ Heavy Bolt RIfle: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Rifle

. 5x Inceptor w/ Plasma Exterminators: 5x 2x Plasma Exterminators

Proteus Kill Team [18 PL, 275pts]: Jump Packs

. Deathwatch Veteran: Deathwatch Boltgun, Storm shield

. Vanguard Veteran: Lightning Claw, Storm shield

. Vanguard Veteran: Heavy thunder hammer

. Watch Sergeant: Combat shield, Deathwatch Boltgun and Power Sword

Proteus Kill Team [18 PL, 275pts]: Jump Packs

. Vanguard Veteran: Heavy thunder hammer

. Watch Sergeant: Combat shield, Deathwatch Boltgun and Power Sword

+ Elites +

Apothecary [5 PL, -1CP, 90pts]: Chapter Command: Chief Apothecary, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

Bladeguard Veteran Squad [10 PL, 175pts]

. 4x Bladeguard Veteran: 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 4x Master-crafted power sword, 4x Storm Shield

. Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant: Heavy Bolt Pistol

++ Total: [107 PL, 7CP, 2,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Interesting list. 

I'm new to Deathwatch as well, still getting the hang of list building. So many options, it's hard to work through them.

I like the Vanguard Veterans, going to be lethal jumping around grabbing objectives. Wonder if it might make sense having a couple Vets with dual LCs instead of the shield.

Thinking about anti-tank. The strongest guns you have are the the Plasma Exterminators, which are D1 unless you overcharge. Feels like a skilled opponent will take them out first and put you at a disadvantage.

Also thinking about those Proteus Teams. If there was a Terminator in each, they would have a 5+ invul for each model. Those storm shield saves would be +1, which might make a difference.

Curious if the Heavy Intercessors are really that much of an upgrade over Vets with Frag Cannons. My sense was you get more with the later.

I'll preface this with I haven't been able to play any games since 9th came out, so this is pure theory hammer. But looking at that list, my gut feeling is you have too many shields. Would you not benefit from having a few vanguard either with a second lightning claw or a pistol  or a veteran or two frag cannons to add to the offensive power of the unit?

i've also seen it suggested many times that two 5 man kill team vanguard combat squads are better used as a ten man dedicated vanguard squad anvil, but I have no personal experience either way, it does however free up room in the kill team to run them 6-8 men adding a terminator for durability and/or a Black shield for offense, though where you'd find the points I don't know (perhaps some bolter inceptors to soak up the first hits if you are planning on combat squadding the inceptors out of the indomitor teams).