Here's some artwork I did for the Graven Souls. Enjoy guys!

gallery_4536_17144_109497.png

A Graven Souls Battle-Brother of the 2nd Company, 6th Ka (Battleline Squad).

gallery_4536_17144_168550.png

Graven Souls Lord (Captain) of the 4th Company. Note: Sashimono (Back Banner), which displays (from top-to-bottom) the name of the Chapter, the company number, and the Asahina family clan mon.

Nice, a bit more samurai-ish and less yakuza than I imaged them I admit, but I'm not their creator so my imagination means nothing.

A bit samurai-ish but really Yakuza didn't lend to a good armor look. Besides in 40,000 years who knows how mixed up everything becomes *laughs*. Anyways I like the look though I don't have a good pauldron symbol idea for them yet. 

A bit samurai-ish but really Yakuza didn't lend to a good armor look. Besides in 40,000 years who knows how mixed up everything becomes *laughs*. Anyways I like the look though I don't have a good pauldron symbol idea for them yet. 

That's true the yakuza look is a bit hard to do with people in armour. But I have some thoughts if you want to hear (even if they are more into japanese crime/gang/outcast groups/culture overall than just yakuza). 

Regarding symbol, do I suggest taking a look at the symbols used by Yakuza syndicates for some ideas.

That's true the yakuza look is a bit hard to do with people in armour. But I have some thoughts if you want to hear (even if they are more into japanese crime/gang/outcast groups/culture overall than just yakuza). 

Regarding symbol, do I suggest taking a look at the symbols used by Yakuza syndicates for some ideas.

I am more than willing to listen it is why I am here. To listen and be inspired.

• 2 weeks later...

I am more than willing to listen it is why I am here. To listen and be inspired.

Sorry for the late replay (life and all that), here are some suggestions:

Little to none samurai armour.

Headbands. Can be over the helmets.

Many have Sashimono style back banners, especially on their transports (attack-bikes, tanks, etc.).

Their armour and transports are covered with stickers/similar (think Shotaro Kaneda's Bike in Akira for ex.). So mine the transfer sheets (not just the SM ones but all of them, the Titanicus knights’ transfers are goldmines for transfers that are not commonly seen on SM:s) for stuff that the marines have put/painted on.

Mauls and axes instead of swords (baseball bats and axes are classic gangbanger weapons).

Chains hanging from, or wrapped around, their armour.

Golden chain necklaces.

Spiked armour.

Overcoats worn as capes.

Helmet crests/plumes/such in a brigth colour that clash with the rest of the armour (Japanese badboys are often depicted with their hair coloured in an brigth colour that makes them stand out).

Edited by Gamiel

I disagree. Power armor is as integral to a Space Marine's identity, as sunglasses are to the stereotypical "movie star."

Hachimaki may be worn under armor; if worn over, I'm concerned they'll slip and cover the eyepieces. If the hachimaki must be visible, better to just paint a white stripe and the motivational message upon the helmet.

Many have Sashimono style back banners, especially on their transports (attack-bikes, tanks, etc.).

Their armour and transports are covered with stickers/similar (think Shotaro Kaneda's Bike in Akira for ex.). So mine the transfer sheets (not just the SM ones but all of them, the Titanicus knights’ transfers are goldmines for transfers that are not commonly seen on SM:s) for stuff that the marines have put/painted on.

Excellent idea!

Mauls and axes instead of swords (baseball bats and axes are classic gangbanger weapons).

Swords ARE classic yakuza weapons- just watch any movie featuring them. The absence of swords in a yakuza-inspired Chapter, will render it unrecognisable as a yakuza-inspired Chapter.

Golden chain necklaces.

Spiked armour.

These seem like traits of AMERICAN gangers, not Japanese gangers (yakuza, despite their pretentions toward "respectability").

Overcoats worn as capes.

Helmet crests/plumes/such in a brigth colour that clash with the rest of the armour (Japanese badboys are often depicted with their hair coloured in an brigth colour that makes them stand out).

These are traits of juvenile delinquents and youth gangs, NOT of the adults who are inducted into the yakuza, the latter of which make pretentions toward "respectability," i.e., "We are law-abiding citizens of the nation of Japan! We do not run wild like the beastly American mafia and gangs! Whose laws do we abide by? The Oyabun's [boss'], of course!" It may be okay for newly inducted Marines- the Chapter's equivalents to Space Wolves Blood Claws or Black Templars Neophytes- to wear bright and clashing colors that draw attention, but such behavior will be frowned upon and STRONGLY discouraged once these Marines are promoted to leadership positions. Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

One yakuza characteristic I forgot to remember and then suggest: tattoos, a WH40K adaptation of which include skinplants and electoos, which may serve to improve a Marine's control over weapons and other technological devices (in-game, grant +1 Attack, +1 to dice rolls To Hit, and/or +1" Movement to power armored Marines, and similar bonuses to vehicles). As tattoos aren't visible when in armor, reflect this with heavily decorated armor, but restrict the use of such decorations to those who achieve great feats of valor, so their visual impact won't be diminished (and your workload won't crush you when you paint the models).

One yakuza characteristic I forgot to remember and then suggest: tattoos, a WH40K adaptation of which include skinplants and electoos, which may serve to improve a Marine's control over weapons and other technological devices (in-game, grant +1 Attack, +1 to dice rolls To Hit, and/or +1" Movement to power armored Marines, and similar bonuses to vehicles). As tattoos aren't visible when in armor, reflect this with heavily decorated armor, but restrict the use of such decorations to those who achieve great feats of valor, so their visual impact won't be diminished (and your workload won't crush you when you paint the models).

The problem with that is that you can't really show that on the armour in a good way - unless you want nobody but Golden Demon painters (and their likes) to be interested in painting them. 

I disagree. Power armor is as integral to a Space Marine's identity, as sunglasses are to the stereotypical "movie star."

I'm not saying that they should not have power armour, just that the power armour should not be covered in samurai-ish parts. My suggestions are for making the Graven Souls appear less samurai and more Japanese ganger/OC, and one easy first step is to not have their power armour design being highly samurai influenced.

Hachimaki may be worn under armor; if worn over, I'm concerned they'll slip and cover the eyepieces. If the hachimaki must be visible, better to just paint a white stripe and the motivational message upon the helmet.

Having them on helmets is something that at least have happened in the popular culture, and if you would illustrate them many do find it easier do just do this with the helmet on instead of of, and therefore you have it on the helmet.

Many have Sashimono style back banners, especially on their transports (attack-bikes, tanks, etc.).

Their armour and transports are covered with stickers/similar (think Shotaro Kaneda's Bike in Akira for ex.). So mine the transfer sheets (not just the SM ones but all of them, the Titanicus knights’ transfers are goldmines for transfers that are not commonly seen on SM:s) for stuff that the marines have put/painted on.

Excellent idea!

Swords ARE classic yakuza weapons- just watch any movie featuring them. The absence of swords in a yakuza-inspired Chapter, will render it unrecognisable as a yakuza-inspired Chapter.

Yes, for the top guy or main character/antagonist but the underlings, when not brandishing guns, often seems to use baseball bats and axes, this goes extra much for gangers instead of OC-members.

Golden chain necklaces.

Spiked armour.

These seem like traits of AMERICAN gangers, not Japanese gangers (yakuza, despite their pretentions toward "respectability").

Not really, those are markers for gangers all over the world. Also, regarding the golden chain necklaces do that appear on pictures of yakuzas if you do a web search.

Overcoats worn as capes.

These are traits of juvenile delinquents and youth gangs, NOT of the adults who are inducted into the yakuza, the latter of which make pretentions toward "respectability," i.e., "We are law-abiding citizens of the nation of Japan! We do not run wild like the beastly American mafia and gangs! Whose laws do we abide by? The Oyabun's [boss'], of course!" It may be okay for newly inducted Marines- the Chapter's equivalents to Space Wolves Blood Claws or Black Templars Neophytes- to wear bright and clashing colors that draw attention, but such behavior will be frowned upon and STRONGLY discouraged once these Marines are promoted to leadership positions.

As I said my suggestion was more japanese crime/gang/outcast groups/culture overall than just yakuza. Also, as pop-culture illustrate yakuza members is it popular (at least the last decades or two) to have at least some of them with coloured hair (maybe just illustrating that it's common in Japan now a-days for all I know, I admit). And the overcoat as cape seems to be popular among gangsters also, not just delinquents/such, at least in illustrations, similar to how mafia people are often shown doing that in 'merican pop-culture.

Edited by Gamiel