State of the Union (Heresy)

What a weak ass legion dispatch

Par the course of course

i feel all those "legion dispatch" 'news' were rather weak so far. i get it that its better than nothing but its just poorly hidden advertisement (on a page focused on advertising, yes). lets hope they get a bit more going if / when they show that new box...

Also this part of the dispatch suggests the author went on 40k autopilot when discussing the structure of Legions during the Heresy: "As with all Praetors, this guy can be used to represent any senior Legion commander of the Sons of Horus, from a Company Captain to a Chapter Master." The more era-appropriate name is Lord Commander with Chapter Master being an alternate term.

?

Chapter Master is used in Horus Rising for Raldoran. It's also used throughout the series for other legions like the word bearers and Ultramarines. It's an official rank during the crusade and heresy and era appropriate.

Par the course of course

i feel all those "legion dispatch" 'news' were rather weak so far. i get it that its better than nothing but its just poorly hidden advertisement (on a page focused on advertising, yes). lets hope they get a bit more going if / when they show that new box...

Also this part of the dispatch suggests the author went on 40k autopilot when discussing the structure of Legions during the Heresy: "As with all Praetors, this guy can be used to represent any senior Legion commander of the Sons of Horus, from a Company Captain to a Chapter Master." The more era-appropriate name is Lord Commander with Chapter Master being an alternate term.

Chapter Master is just as era-appropriate as Lord Commander (especially given the formation in question is the "Chapter"). More Legions use "Chapter Master" than "Lord Commander" if we're going strictly by what we've seen in the BL fiction/black books.

The actual mistake is that the Sons of Horus didn't really have any organisation above the company level, so Chapter Master isn't a rank we'd see them use.

Yes, the dispatch is disappointing given we also have leaks of the boxset. I’m also worried by the large scale increase we have with these characters.

Not trying to snipe your post, but concerns over the scale (possibly) changing is a sentiment I’ve seen echoed around a lot after the boxset leaks and now this new SoH Praetor.

I think one of the best consequences of life after Primaris is that it opened the community (and to an extent GW’s) eyes to how garbage their scale for marines was in a modern age. I hope they never revert to a chunkier squat space marine that we got for decades. More recent releases from FW like the DA kits have shown an increase in height and the end result is a more proportional marine. I hope they really nail this alleged 2.0 and eventually release new Mk. 3 & 4 in superior scale as well.

Forge World blister packs, nobody knows what's inside it.

A Space Marine Heroes line for the Heresy would get my money yesterday and the day before that.

Par the course of course

?

Chapter Master is used in Horus Rising for Raldoran. It's also used throughout the series for other legions like the word bearers and Ultramarines. It's an official rank during the crusade and heresy and era appropriate.

Par the course of course

Chapter Master is just as era-appropriate as Lord Commander (especially given the formation in question is the "Chapter"). More Legions use "Chapter Master" than "Lord Commander" if we're going strictly by what we've seen in the BL fiction/black books.

The actual mistake is that the Sons of Horus didn't really have any organisation above the company level, so Chapter Master isn't a rank we'd see them use.

Thanks for the clarification

Edited by Slips

So, how is it going to work for the people who actually wanted Mal but got this praetor instead? Do they have to ship it back, get sent a free Mal or store credit/ refund?

So, how is it going to work for the people who actually wanted Mal but got this praetor instead? Do they have to ship it back, get sent a free Mal or store credit/ refund?

I doubt they have to send it back. Same way they send replacements for faulty kits and don't ask for the originals back. No point asking for them back now that the cat is out of the bag on the praetor existing anyway, I suppose

Edited by Slips

I think it mentions in the article you can return him for a Maloghurst if you want or keep him.

Im kinda torn on scale myself, i have huge armies of hobbit marines  id potentially like to expand but they look comical next to Primaris and other embiggened/upteched modern models. I had revvived a Fallen project before the extent of the WD article's laziness became apparent and it was kinda painful to go back to them.

I suspect tats a bridge ill cross once the new rules come out tbh ;) 

Im kinda torn on scale myself, i have huge armies of hobbit marines id potentially like to expand but they look comical next to Primaris and other embiggened/upteched modern models. I had revvived a Fallen project before the extent of the WD article's laziness became apparent and it was kinda painful to go back to them.

I suspect tats a bridge ill cross once the new rules come out tbh ;)

I think of them as augmented human marines (like Luther) and not true Astarte.

Im kinda torn on scale myself, i have huge armies of hobbit marines  id potentially like to expand but they look comical next to Primaris and other embiggened/upteched modern models.

Yeah this is a big thing for me as well, particularly for some of the older legion-specific Terminator models. PA discrepancy matters less to me than whether a Terminator looms over his peers or not

Uh, who this "Slips" editing posts ? New mod? Doesn't seem right editing frater posts like that without coloured mod txt. Why not a separate post quoting a frater post instead. We haven't been naughty for that kind of editing anyway. 

The new scale is what concerns me most about this release, I still have a lot of Mk3/4 sets from Calth and Prospero to build but with the slowing releases of HH I became disheartened and stopped building them. But with the new leaks about more HH I'm excited, however that it's of a different scale to the current kits is the issue for me.

As Loss said, the FW Legion units are not going to scale well with the new plastics (apart from the DA stuff which seems to be scaled up slightly already) and I really doubt they're going to go back and re-do ALL of the units they've released so far. This also poses a problem for those with large collections (also the same issue when MK3/4 moved from resin to plastic as the plastic models were slightly chunckier than the resin) as the scale upgrade would look a bit jaring if the new Mk6 look the same size as a Terminator.

The scale change does seem an odd choice, I have a number of forces that I will not be adding any more infantry to due to the scale changes.

I think it invalidates a lot of the earlier sculpts, even Primarchs have resin casualties on their bases that will be at odds with the new scaling (Johnson being the latest) and it’s hard to see them investing time into re sculpting those.

That being said, the comparison between the mkiii and the new praetor doesn’t seem too bad, although there is a definite shift in proportional aesthetic.

I’m just hoping the rules don’t invalidate armies that have been years in the making, but then, GW have a habit of doing this, presumably to inflate sales by using rules to drive new purchases.

Cadmus

A weak legion dispatch yes, but its clear they have had very little to report the last years and that will probably continue until November or so when that boxset comes out ( if indeed it does). I just dont think they have much to report, their output is now lower than any other GW system it seems.

I’m just hoping the rules don’t invalidate armies that have been years in the making, but then, GW have a habit of doing this, presumably to inflate sales by using rules to drive new purchases.

I've railed against this business model (to my friends mostly) for years. Fortunately (kinda) they slipped up a little this time in that all the factions (with the exception of Dark Mechanicum) have up to date rules out, so no one has to switch editions if it's just a rules shuffle to force purchases.

With all the talk of scale creep, does anybody know when it began? I know the dark angels legion units are in the new size and I’m assuming the night lords are the same too. What about the blood angels and the white scars?

Im not sure rules creep is really a problem for collectors if you arent meta chasing, though its inevitable if you do. My Alpha Legion army is 15 years old and has been through a dozen rules sets with only a handful of models being invalidated, all but one of them (A Plasma cannon toting veteran) being special characters of various stripes, hell, with crossover being what it is some of the special characters are perfect for different special characters from later publications :D 

Veteran squads do a lot of heavy lifting on this front ofc :P 

Scale creep on the other hand tends to kill old projects dead, because they just look bad compared to their newer, shinier counterparts and mixed armies become awkward at best. I guess thats the good idea behind the (badly implemented generally) Primaris fluff, as mixed armies at least work from that perspective even if they still look bad. 

Heresy does not have that though, so, just like in 2nd/3rd (And other army specific periods of scale creep) it feels like the smaller models are just going to fade away from peoples armies, unless they stick to the older stuff entirely and skip the new toys, which is relatively rare.

The new praetor is really nicely sculpted and the proportions seem good. I wasn’t à fan of the squatting pose and they had nice improvements with mk4 and mk3. The trouble is that I already have plenty of heresy infantry and I’m not prepared to have a mk6 marine being larger than abaddon or that kind of stuff. Given it's mostly marines on marines, my opinion is that heresy is really well suited for the first born scale.

Then, there is the issue with vehicles which are already too small to accomodate marines. Increasing the size of infantry also increases that issue.

On that matter, in the legiones astartes red book the spartan illustration has actually down scaled marines

Edited by Sparika

I want the scale to be consistent within one army.

My fists wont get bigger marines and my new legion wont get smaller ones.

Just gotta hope that at least the kits that contain single marines in some capacity like bikes speeders and so on get updated. Else the legion list will miss a lot of stuff.

Tanks will also be a thing that looks weird but should work with suspension of disbelief

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

Has anyone worked with the Tortuga Bay true scale MKIII and MKIV true scale bodies? They're a reasonable price so I may explore that option if I feel like I need to have a consistent scale.

With all the talk of scale creep, does anybody know when it began? I know the dark angels legion units are in the new size and I’m assuming the night lords are the same too. What about the blood angels and the white scars?

I know you are asking specifically about Heresy, but if you’ll allow me deliberately to twist your question, scale creep has always been with us since the birth of 40k. Just look at the RTB sets of marines, terminators or orks. This is the nagging issue I have with scale creep, the designers seem to think bigger is better, but I’d prefer a game that fits on a smaller table.

I once saw, perhaps on this board, a guy who had converted/sculpted a Blood Angels army in 15mm scale and it was awesome. That was way beyond my skill, but maybe with 3d printing I could think about that now.