Dark Angels Primaris Army for a returning player...

Droopy33

*Please, feel free to move the topic if not in the right place*

Hi everybody,

I am an old player of W40K, I have player 3rd and 4th edition.

Now that my daughter is older, I have time to paint, and (hopefully) play sometimes.

In 3rd and 4th edition, I was playing Blood Angels, full assault with death company.

With the 9th edition, I bought the Indomitus Box and I found the Dark Angels Codex quite appealing.

Especially, I like the possibilty to use standard marines, the Ravenwing and the Deathwing, all in the same army.

The color scheme is really interesting for me and I intend to test the contrast color method with my new "toys" :smile.:

(Note: I will send pictures of my work if I am satisfied of the quality).

So, I plan to build part of the 3rd company, with reinforcements of Ravenwing and Deathwing units.

The only condition is to be a Primaris-only army, and i want to build an army that I can compete and have fun with.

Not a "win-at-all-cost", but semi-competitive ? :tongue.:

So far, I am planning to organise my troops like this :

3rd company units (defensive group) > around 350 pts

• Captain (Lazarus model with helmet)
  • 5-man Intercessors squads with bolter rifle (3rd squad)
  • 5-man Hellblaster squad with plasma incinerator (9th squad)

3rd company units (offensive group) > around 280 pts

• Lieutenant (Zakariah model with helmet)
  • 5-man Intercessors squads  with auto bolter rifle (5th squad)
  • 5-man Assault squad (7th squad)

3rd company units (reserve group) > around 450 pts

• 5-man Heavy Intercessor sqad (1st squad)
  • 3-man Inceptor squad with plasma (7th squad)
  • 3-man Eradicator squad (9th squad)

Deathwing units > around 280 pts

• Librarian
  • Bladeguard Ancient
  • 3-man Bladeguard Veteran Squad

Ravenwing units > around 430 pts

• Chaplain on bike
  • 3-man Outriders squad
  • Storm Speed Hammerstrike

I like the feeling of my army, but I am undecided between two options to reinforce the Deathwing Units.

My first thought was to use a Redemptor Dreadnought with plasma and rites of Initiation, for almost 200 pts.

The plan was to use the defensive group to hold an objective, the Deathwing to conquer another one, with the support of the offensive group, and use the reserve group in between. The Ravenwing will give support where needed.

But my second thought was to use an Impulsor with Rites of initiation, for almost 120 pts, and carry the Deathwing units with it.

And I will have 80 points to spare on something else, but I don't know what...

The question is: Which option seems to be the most effective ? Is there a big difference in efficiency between this two choices ?

I must admit that I like the look of my Bladeguards advancing, supported by a Deathwing Dreadnought, but I will be foolish to stick with it if I can't catch anything...

Feel free to comment, this is my first try with a new chapter (and a new edition).

Have a good day

PS: Sorry if i made some mistakes, English is not my primary language...

PPS: My work in progress for the paint.

Edited by Droopy33

Hi Droopy,

I think as far as a Primaris only collection goes, you’ve listed a nice and well themed spread.

I understand where you’re coming from wanting Primaris only, I too am going down this road with my collection these days, shunning the old kits. Bear in mind that there is lots of opportunity to update older models using the newer kits as well, for example, I’m currently converting Primaris models into company vets and have plans to convert a new storm speeder into a Talonmaster and the new outriders into black nights.

In terms of the ‘the best option’ when making those initial purchases I get you want to buy the right thing and start with a sound, competitive list. The problem here is it sounds like you’ve not even played a game yet and your choices are mostly based on theory. The thing worth pointing out is will you stop purchasing any more models once you have attained this 2,000 point list? As you’re likely to continue expanding your collection, I suggest sticking to your ‘theme’ of a Primaris battle company from a collect and purchasing point of view and just make lists to play using different combinations of what you have. That way you get to try out different things and learn for yourself what you do and don’t like to use. If you follow where I’m coming from.

Final note, I don’t have my codex handy, but I don’t believe Impulsors can take the rites of initiation option?

I get the fluff reasons for wanting to give that option to your Dreadnought or Repulsor and paining them in bone, but unless you’re taking them in a deathwing vanguard to give your blade guard on sec, there is no benefit in doing so.

Apologies in advance for the grammar, bashing this out as quick as I can for reasons.

Impulsors can't take rites of initiation, but if you're playing Primaris-only, there's no point in trying for a Deathwing detachment, as Bladeguard Veterans do not get ObSec from it. You can just field whatever Deathwing units in a standard detachment, and take them in a normal impulsor.

I love Bladeguard in Deathwing colours, though veteran intercessors look good in them too. Actually, most things are nice in bone white .

I would be tempted to add a second lieutenant to the Deathwing force, the Indomitus one works nicely. Or maybe an apothecary to keep some Gravis in the right, you have quite a bit of the 3 wound goodness in there.

Thank you very much for your answers :smile.:

I played a Blood Angels army when I was younger... and the amy stayed at home after I moved to North America.

In fact, all my miniatures are on a different continent and I must admit that my painting skills were not as good as I thought :tongue.:

So, I decided to have a fresh start and I bought the Indomitus box for Christmas.

You are right, I didn't play any game in 9th edition so far, for an obvious "pandemic" reason.

I just found the Space Marines from Dark Imperium from another player and bought the Combat Patrol box last week.

My goal is to paint and play a few games this summer with a 50 PL force, before starting to expand.

My starting army is :

- Captain ("Greenwing")

- 2 x 5-man Intercessors ("Greenwing")

- 5 Assault Intercessors ("Greenwing")

- 5 Hellblasters ("Greenwing")

- Chaplain on Bike (Ravenwing)

- 3 Outriders (Ravenwing)

- Librarian (Deathwing)

- 3 Bladeguard (Deathwing)

I understand that the best is to not buy anything else right now, and expand my army after a few tests.

I already have another 10 intercessors, 3 inceptors, 3 eradicators, a Bladeguard Ancient and a Redemptor Dreadnought.

I was just wondering if painting the Dreadnought now was a good idea :smile.:

I just checked the codex, and you are totally right, Impulsor can't have Rites of Initiation.

But adding the Lieutenant of Indomitus is a good idea, I see that he can have Rites of initiation.

Indeed, Bladeguards from Vanguard Detachment don't have ObSec.

And a Deathwing Redemptor Dreadnought can have a small benefit : he can have the Implacable part of the Lion of the Sons Ability (Assault Doctrine)

Again, thank you very much for your answers, I will try to show my advancement when I will start the painting.

Have a good day

Thank you very much for your answers :)

I played a Blood Angels army when I was younger... and the amy stayed at home after I moved to North America.

In fact, all my miniatures are on a different continent and I must admit that my painting skills were not as good as I thought :P

So, I decided to have a fresh start and I bought the Indomitus box for Christmas.

You are right, I didn't play any game in 9th edition so far, for an obvious "pandemic" reason.

I just found the Space Marines from Dark Imperium from another player and bought the Combat Patrol box last week.

My goal is to paint and play a few games this summer with a 50 PL force, before starting to expand.

My starting army is :

- Captain ("Greenwing")

- 2 x 5-man Intercessors ("Greenwing")

- 5 Assault Intercessors ("Greenwing")

- 5 Hellblasters ("Greenwing")

- Chaplain on Bike (Ravenwing)

- 3 Outriders (Ravenwing)

- Librarian (Deathwing)

- 3 Bladeguard (Deathwing)

I understand that the best is to not buy anything else right now, and expand my army after a few tests.

I already have another 10 intercessors, 3 inceptors, 3 eradicators, a Bladeguard Ancient and a Redemptor Dreadnought.

I was just wondering if painting the Dreadnought now was a good idea :)

I just checked the codex, and you are totally right, Impulsor can't have Rites of Initiation.

But adding the Lieutenant of Indomitus is a good idea, I see that he can have Rites of initiation.

Indeed, Bladeguards from Vanguard Detachment don't have ObSec.

And a Deathwing Redemptor Dreadnought can have a small benefit : he can have the Implacable part of the Lion of the Sons Ability (Assault Doctrine)

Again, thank you very much for your answers, I will try to show my advancement when I will start the painting.

Have a good day

I can't think of a reason not to paint the redemptor immediately, but take your time as you need to, obviously. We're all looking forward to seeing your progress!

My first thoughts are that the list could use 2-3 Impulsors for the Bladeguard, the Assault Intercessors, and the Hellblasters. I'd do the Hellblasters with assault plasma incinerators, BTW.

My second thought is that I'm not as into Heavy Intercessors as everyone else seems to be. I don't think we necessarily need to have obsec units minding backfield objectives, and Heavy Intercessors are slow and expensive. I'd prefer to use Elininators, Hellblasters with heavy plasma incinerators, or even Suppressors for that purpose.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm also a returning player doing 3rd co.Primaris. I haven't gamed since 5th, but still collected my plastic crack. There are two LGS and a GW within a reasonable distance. Now that I have the time to play again Ive decided to assemble and paint two different forces of Dark Angels to play against each other. I want to learn the game. Playing Green vs Bone will teach me the game and how the two function. Hopefully.

First is 3rd co with 10th and Bladeguard from the first. I want to paint new models and make friends so this is what Id like to run. Leading it is my own 3rd Co Lazarus. Same guy, converted model. Then it's all Primaris with a Chaplain, Ancient and Librarian. Squad of Hvy Intercessors and 5 Hellbaster Heavy Plasma Incinerators guard the DZ and home objective. Infiltrator and Incursor squads take the corner points of the midfield. They hold for one turn while Bladeguard, CC characters reinforce one point and Assault Hellbasters reinforce the other and push forward. Plasma Inceptors launch a feint/false attack in the enemy deployment zone. It's basically just trying to hold onto objectives and make my opponent either reactive or stuck fighting me over an objective we both contend.

Second list is a Deathwing Vanguard detachment. It's lead by an Interrogator Chaplain in Terminator armour and Belial. I need to pick up a librarian in TA, but the Phobos dude is cool and still has the Deathwing keyword. I have enough to run 2x5 DWK, 2x5 DWCC w/TH/SS, an apothecary, ancient and champion in TA. Contemptor, Redemptor and Crusader or Redeemer for the big toys.

Please do post up your progress, be it finished models, custom lore about your 3rd company or your w/l tally I'd be beside interested. I'm prepping my Phobos and 3rd Co units now. I'll keep a log if people seem interested. Good luck! Hope to see some of your work soon.