1,000 point Raven Guard successor list advice

XeonDragon

So, I have a 1,000 point tournament coming up in my FLGS. I will be running Raven Guard successors with bolter fusillades (re-roll 1s to hit for bolter weapons) and whirlwind of rage (natural 6s generate extra hit in melee).

I have two lists in mind, and would love some feedback on them.

List one

Warlord: Primaris Lieutenant (Indomitus), storm shield, neo-volkite pistol, the Burning Blade, Master of Ambush, Imperium’s sword

Second HQ choice: Chaplain (Master of sanctity, Jump Pack, Wise Orator), Litany of Hate, Canticle of Hate, Exhortation of Rage

Troops

Intercessor squad with auto-bolt rifles

Tactical squad with grav cannon and amp, sergeant with storm bolter and chain sword

Elites

5 x bolt storm aggressors

5 x vanguard veterans with twin lightning claws all around

Fast attack

Landspeeder with multi-melta

Heavy Support

3 x Eradicators

How I plan to use this list

The plan with this list is to use the jump chaplain to buff the vanguard veterans with the re-roll hits, +1 to wound and bonus to charge. Meanwhile the Master of Ambush Lieutenant will get position the Aggressors to get up in the face of the enemy early on. As I have bolter fusillades as one of my successor chapter traits, this means the squad will be re-rolling 1s to hit and wound with the bolters and re-rolling 1 with the fragstorm grenade launchers in the shooting phase. In the melee phase whirlwind of rage will generate additional hits, and there will still be a re-rolls of 1s to wound.

The tactical squad will sit on the objective closest to (or in) my deployment zone, the intercessors can move forward to take one. Landspeeder will zoom around where needed. Eradicators will strike from the shadows at whatever needs to die.

List two

Warlord: Lieutenant with combi-plasma, the Burning Blade, Master of Ambush, Imperium’s sword

Second HQ choice: Chaplain (Master of sanctity, Jump Pack, Wise Orator), Litany of Hate, Canticle of Hate, Exhortation of Rage

Troops

Intercessor squad with auto-bolt rifles

Tactical squad with grav cannon and amp, sergeant with storm bolter and chain sword

Elites

5 x terminators, 1 with cyclone missile launcher, 4x chain fists, power sword on the sergeant.

5 x vanguard veterans with twin lightning claws all around

Heavy Support

4 x Eradicators

How I plan to use this list

As with the first list, the main plan with this list is to use the jump chaplain to buff the vanguard veterans as noted above, and to use the Lieutenant and MOA to get the Terminators up in the face of the enemy early on.

Troops will do the same thing as the first list. Difference is no landspeeder: 4 eradicators instead, which will strike from the shadows, probably just behind the terminators to really create forward-in-your-face pressure.

So would love some feedback on these lists. I am aiming for a good TAC-list. My local meta has marines (duh!), but also lots of Admech, Sisters, and Nidzillaa lists.

Edited by XeonDragon

I like your first list a lot ... mainly because it closely reflects my Crusade army I’ve ran past couple months. Only change I might suggest is a unit of Eliminators instead of the Melta-speeder. Have to lose MoS also but that little unit is a killer action monkeys combined with Guerilla Tactics. It doesn’t have the raw power but you look pretty good for that with other units ... imo.

Hard to let MoS go but at 1k I think a utility unit that is great for secondary point collection is a subtle improvement.

Master of Sanctity. He’s a great unit but is his buff so much better than a normal chaplain you dont get another unit that almost guarantees Deploy Scramblers or with a stratagem of 1CP is sneaking into the forgotten small edge of your opponents deployment zone?

It’s a tight list. I’d be a hard call because your list is top notch for RG imo

Edited by Dracos

Thanks Dracos.

My thinking is the commanding oratory strategem is worded that it can be used in each phase, and you can only use a stratagem once per phase (not per turn - correct me if I am wrong). So it appears that a MoS with jump pack is able to drop in, then in the psychic phase pay 1cp to get off the litany for +2 to charge, then in the charge phase spend 1cp get off the litany to re-roll hits, then in the fight phase spend 1cp to get off the litany for +1 to wound. 

So if that is correct, I could have my vanguard veterans drop in, do the Raven's Blade stratagem and the above so you get +2 to charge, re-rolling the charge and if it works you end up with re-rolling all hits with the lightning claws, re-rolling all wounds (with +1 to wound) and being able to consolidate 6" instead of 3" etc. So my thinking was that might just be worth it, but I do take your points and will think more about it :)