Unit of the Week: Predator Destructor

Jolemai

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Predator Destructor

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use your Destructor?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples?
  • How are you buffing this unit?
  • What Wargear Options do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Stratagem synergy or note?

Over to you

Please note that the Baal Predator, Deimos Pattern Relic Predator, and Predator Annihilator will be discussed elsewhere.

Edited by Jolemai

I've not had the chance to use one in-game yet, but they seem ok. Rules-wise, there isn't much separating the destructor and annihilator, I believe that both weapons do pretty much the same number of average wounds to tanks, thanks to the flat D3 of the pred autocannon. We may see a new lease of life on this thanks to deathguard needing an abundance of D1 or D3 shots to get past Disgustingly Resilient, however in 9th, tanks still feel pretty weak compared to mass infantry. Fewer wounds, non-ObSec, still quite squishy. 

The Pred is an iconic tank, it only really suffers in the same way all space marine tanks do, they're all pretty meh. That said, the dakka pred is a highly versatile tank, able to target almost anything save guardsmen and still perform in a somewhat efficient manner. The cannon could do with an extra pip of AP in my opinion, but the ability to deal with deathguard and terminators in one shot makes sure it has a strong niche to play in. I've had some luck using a pair of dakka press, an annihilator and a Baal predator, together the oversized squadron was able to take out a pair of battle wagons and a dozen Kris in one turn. It wasn't an efficient method, and I got sickeningly lucky with my dice, but it was very fun.

Pairing a mix of predators with some cheap mechanised squads used to be a BA classic, and it still works now. Some 5 man squads in impulsors or Razorbacks can let the predators act as a potent, if relatively fragile, objective clearers which your MSU will follow up the board to sweep whatever the predators were kind enough to let them have. Surprisingly little can take this double whammy in small games.

Don't expect the predator destructor to do much against russes or land raiders though, strength 7 and ap-1 is not enough to reliably damage bigger tanks. Unless you took lascannon sponsons, in which case you might as well try.

I'd rely on melta to take out the bigger tanks, but a full dakka pred has some decent amount of firepower, as the D3 autocannon is really nice.

I'd go Heavy Bolter sponsons and just rip up heavy infantry.

Not the best choice, but is not a bad one.