A Sisters of Battle Chaplain

Banjulhu

Honestly, I'd prefer if they mixed up abilties and capabilties more, i.e. put the litanies on something like the dialogus who isn't combat focused the way the chaplain is. I think that will help armies feel different. 

Having said that, I hope she's actually more of a justicar, able to throw out movement restraints on the enemies and such. 

I rather like the model and the pose. The small bonding studs are cool, as are the candles, the helmet and the backpack. The crozius sort of item works really well with the two-handed pose. I think it adds more weight to it, which I like a lot as a contrast to how a Space Marine, especially in terminator armor would hold it. The shoulders look correct for holding something of weight, the shoulderpads stay in place while her arms roll forward.

Especially with the gloves, the paintjob is a bit of a miss.

Honestly, I'd prefer if they mixed up abilties and capabilties more, i.e. put the litanies on something like the dialogus who isn't combat focused the way the chaplain is. I think that will help armies feel different. 

Having said that, I hope she's actually more of a justicar, able to throw out movement restraints on the enemies and such. 

A. Great model. Looks well done to me. Distinctive enough from other stuff to stand out (at least to anyone familiar with the existing line), yet blends in perfectly with the rest of the models that you would never have guessed it was missing. So absolutely no complaints on the miniature itself.

B. That being said, I hope her rules are more than just a port of a Space Marine Chaplain's. Between the not-Lieutenant-Palantine, and the not-Predator-Castigator, I feel like there's a bit too much crossover, starting to be a bit of lines blurring between Astartes and Sororitas. To me, the concept of a "chaplain" perfectly fits into the "zealot" theme of the SoB faction....but I can't help but feel it's a bit lazy or less creative if the rules turn out to be just a Chaplain in a different cut robe. 

...do Sisters as a faction need a Chaplain? 

...I mean more abilities and options are always welcome, don't get me wrong, but is it a mechanic that is a "Must Have" for SoB, or a "Nice to Have?"

The Palantine, crunch-wise, somehow makes more sense to me.

Perhaps my grumbling is more of a big-picture thing with the possibility that all Factions eventually get more or less the same abilities/buffs just in different packages (aka ever Faction has a Captain/re-roll 1's To Hit unit, will they all at some point get re-roll 1's To Wound and Chaplain-equivs and Techmarine equivs, and Apothecary equivs?) 

The Castigator....I just can't stand, but that's me. 

Honestly the faction doesn't need anything. It's highly competitive and has enough variation in unit builds to keep it fresh if you want to keep on investing.

The paragons, castigator, palatine and dogmata are all just bonuses. In terms of mechanics, SoB are the best for prayers and litanies.

I like the addition of the model from both a fluff and gameplay/collection perspective, but the model is easily my least favorite of the new Sororitas range. Oh well, looks like I just have to convert one for myself.

I see a lot of complaints about the pose but I don't see how it's worse than either the Canoness, who's just sort of halfway through stepping on to a tiny rock, or the palatine who's just awkwardly running while waving a bit of jewellery around. Then again I'm more of a fan of static heroic poses than I am action poses for character minis.

I also get the impression a lot of people don't like pewter minis for whatever reason, as that's what the complaints are saying she looks like. Never understood that tbh. Sure for single-piece models pewter poses are a little more aligned in one direction but there's a lot that was done with that, and resin minis are practically the same beast and still widely used.

• 2 weeks later...

Meh.  A chaplain?  You already have priests.  muddies the water, if you ask me.  

I don't think they are supposed to be equivalent. It varies chapter to chapter, but Chaplains often are portrayed as Astartes commissars then priests.

Priests are Munitorium, not Sisterhood. They deal with the civilians' worship of Him on Earth, and merely join Orders in battle alongside, not part of of it. Whilst the Sisterhood are disciplined overall, it's not impossible for some Sisters to need reminding of their vows, and require some battlefield discipline.

Priest (both Missionaries and Preachers) are great marshals of the average Imperial citizen; they are the Ministorum for sure, and yet their Faith is not as strong as even the fresh-out-of-the-convent battle sisters, because despite being called Priests, THEY DON'T ACTUALLY HAVE AoF. They are important, to be sure- they are HQ's and Elites, but their buff is very simple- it is easy to whip the ignorant into a frenzy of hatred and fear of "the other."

Basic sisters have a depth of faith far beyond that of priests, as they are able to channel that faith into a wide variety of effects. Similarly, Chaplains have an esoteric Faith, which can manifest as multiple effects. For these reasons, I believe that Sisters- even the basic ones- are closer in nature to Chaplains than Priests.

I'm totally content to leave the Faith of Priests as it is... Fit to guide the unwashed masses. That's coming from a HUGE Ministorum fan BTW- my Penitent Legion means so much to me that it's in my name for crying out loud.

Chaplains and Dogmata on the other hand, are special; they themselves have abilities beyond those of priests, and those who they seek to inspire are far more than the unwashed rabble of Penitent Hosts and Frateris Militia.

Priest (both Missionaries and Preachers) are great marshals of the average Imperial citizen; they are the Ministorum for sure, and yet their Faith is not as strong as even the fresh-out-of-the-convent battle sisters, because despite being called Priests, THEY DON'T ACTUALLY HAVE AoF. They are important, to be sure- they are HQ's and Elites, but their buff is very simple- it is easy to whip the ignorant into a frenzy of hatred and fear of "the other."

Basic sisters have a depth of faith far beyond that of priests, as they are able to channel that faith into a wide variety of effects. Similarly, Chaplains have an esoteric Faith, which can manifest as multiple effects. For these reasons, I believe that Sisters- even the basic ones- are closer in nature to Chaplains than Priests.

I'm totally content to leave the Faith of Priests as it is... Fit to guide the unwashed masses. That's coming from a HUGE Ministorum fan BTW- my Penitent Legion means so much to me that it's in my name for crying out loud.

Chaplains and Dogmata on the other hand, are special; they themselves have abilities beyond those of priests, and those who they seek to inspire are far more than the unwashed rabble of Penitent Hosts and Frateris Militia.

I don't disagree, as long as you put "most" in front of the word "priest."  

Priests are Munitorium

:ermm: Ecclesiarchy?
he could of meant Adeptus Ministorum, aka Ecclesiarchy

Yeah, I had a mental furball and typed the wrong thing :lol: