Won my first tournament! DW/RW 2000 Competitive List

backsosoon

Over the past few months I've become acquainted with virtual 40k run on Tabletop Simulator, and after getting familiar with the system and honing my list I entered a 1-day, 3 round event. I was thrilled to make it to the finals and win the whole shibang for the glory of the first!

Tournament was GT missions, with warlord traits, relics, and psychic powers selected at the start of each tournament round. For secondaries I mostly took Stubborn Defiance, While We Stand We Fight, and Raise the Banners. 

Happy to chat tactics or details of any of the rounds of combat. 

My opponents: 

R1: Tau 

R2: Adepta Sororitas

R3: Tyranids 

My list: 

++ Vanguard Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Dark Angels) [64 PL, 1,305pts, 10CP] ++

**Chapter Selection**: Dark Angels

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) 

Deathwing Vanguard Detachment [3CP]

Detachment Command Cost [-3CP]

+ Stratagems +

Stratagem: Relics of the Chapter [-1CP]: Number of Extra Relics

+ No Force Org Slot +

Deathwing Ancient [5 PL, 100pts, -1CP]: 5. Decisive Tactician (Aura), Pennant of Remembrance, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter
. Powerfist and Storm Bolter

+ HQ +

Ezekiel [7 PL, 125pts]

Lieutenant(s) [8 PL, 160pts]
. Ravenwing Talonmaster: 1. Brilliant Strategist, Arbiter's Gaze, Warlord

+ Elites +

Deathwing Command Squad [4 PL, 85pts]: Watcher in the Dark
. Deathwing Sergeant: Lightning Claw (Pair)
. Deathwing Terminator
. . Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield: Thunder hammer

. Deathwing Sergeant
. Deathwing Terminator: Lightning Claw (Pair)

Relic Terminator Squad [18 PL, 355pts]: Grenade harness
. Relic Terminator: Combi-bolter, Lightning Claw
. Relic Terminator Sergeant: Combi-bolter, Lightning Claw
. Relic Terminator w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy flamer, Lightning Claw
. Relic Terminator w/Heavy Weapon: Lightning Claw, Reaper autocannon

Terminator Assault Squad [18 PL, 395pts]: Teleport Homer
. Assault Terminator Sergeant
. 5x Assault Terminator w/THSS: 5x Storm shield, 5x Thunder hammer
. 4x Assault Terminator w/x2LC: 4x Lightning Claw (Pair)

++ Patrol Detachment -2CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Dark Angels) [31 PL, 695pts, -3CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost [-2CP]

+ HQ +

. Ravenwing Talonmaster

+ Troops +

Infiltrator Squad [6 PL, 120pts]
. 4x Infiltrator: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine
. Infiltrator Sergeant

+ Elites +

Ravenwing Apothecary [6 PL, 115pts, -1CP]: Chapter Command:  Chief Apothecary, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter
. Black Knight Bike: Astartes grenade launcher

+ Fast Attack +

Attack Bike Squad [4 PL, 110pts]
. Attack Bike: Multi-melta

Attack Bike Squad [2 PL, 55pts]

+ Heavy Support +

Whirlwind [5 PL, 135pts]: Whirlwind vengeance launcher

++ Total: [95 PL, 2,000pts, 7CP] ++

Could you give a breakdown of your choices, how they fared and which bits of the list performed well/poorly?

I’m very interested that you went with a 10man relic terminator squad, and an assault terminator squad instead of Deathwing Knights

Congrats on the win!

I'm a bit confused as to the army makeup, you could have stuck Zeke, the infiltrators and whirly into a patrol, and then had a RAVENWING Outrider detachment. You have to pay an additional 3CP over when you're already paying, but that's a 3CP tax to give all the Outider detachment ObSec, right? Seems worth it.

++ Vanguard Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Dark Angels) [64 PL, 1,305pts, 10CP] ++

**Chapter Selection**: Dark Angels

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) 

+ No Force Org Slot +

Deathwing Ancient [5 PL, 100pts, -1CP]: 5. Decisive Tactician (Aura), Pennant of Remembrance, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter
. Powerfist and Storm Bolter

+ HQ +
Lieutenant(s) [8 PL, 160pts]
. Ravenwing Talonmaster: 1. Brilliant Strategist, Arbiter's Gaze, Warlord

+ Elites +
Deathwing Command Squad [4 PL, 85pts]:
Deathwing Command Squad [4 PL, 85pts]:
Relic Terminator Squad [18 PL, 355pts]: Grenade harness
Terminator Assault Squad [18 PL, 395pts]: Teleport Homer

++ Outrider Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Dark Angels) [31 PL, 695pts, -3CP] ++

+ HQ +
Lieutenant(s) [8 PL, 160pts]
. Ravenwing Talonmaster

+ Elites +
Ravenwing Apothecary [6 PL, 115pts, -1CP]: Chapter Command:  Chief Apothecary, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

+ Fast Attack +
Attack Bike Squad [4 PL, 110pts]
2x Attack Bike: Multi-melta
Attack Bike Squad [2 PL, 55pts]

++ Patrol Detachment -2CP ++
+ HQ +
Ezekiel [7 PL, 125pts]

+ Troops +
Infiltrator Squad [6 PL, 120pts]

+ Heavy Support +
Whirlwind [5 PL, 135pts]: Whirlwind vengeance launcher

++ Total: [95 PL, 2,000pts, 7CP] ++

Edited by Xenith

Congrats!  Keep hitting the pods and other tournaments so you qualify for the invitational.

Thanks TiguriusX, I will do my best! I've actually entered a new pod with a bit of a different list, I'll reply to this thread with the new loadout and tactics.

Id probably adjust the list to dump the relic terminator flamer off at the nearest salvation army, its kinda not good maybe a helix for the infiltraitors instead or a commms array

Aura, I find the heavy flamer has a role with its S5 particularly on the deepstrike when Deathwing Assault is bumping it up to 2's to wound against most targets, and 3's/4's against the tougher units like DG or the random vehicle that has a wound or two left. 

Could you give a breakdown of your choices, how they fared and which bits of the list performed well/poorly?

I’m very interested that you went with a 10man relic terminator squad, and an assault terminator squad instead of Deathwing Knights

The biggest factor in terminator choice was points. Relics with a combibolter and lightning claw at 34pts/model are the most efficient transhuman body with ranged shooting, compared to 38pts for a DWTS with stormbolter powerfist. In addition to saving the 40 points, I like the lightning claws for the +1attack, reroll wounds, and avoiding the -1hit. That said I do miss the cyclone missile launchers. 

A similar choice was made for the Assault Squad with THSS at 43pts/model vs the 47pts/model for DWKs. In addition I wanted a full 10man squad to use with While We Stand We Fight, so taking a 5man DWK and a 5man claws would break that. You trade the DWK Watcher in the Dark for the assault squad's teleport homer, but if they're about to die you can pull them back to the teleport homer to evade your opponents turn & in this is list I have plenty of denies. That said, I didn't use the teleport homer.  

I was combat squadding both the Relics and the Assaults each game, deepstriking 5 of the relics with the grenade harness and heavy flamer with the Deathwing Assault strategem for +1wound (and sometimes Fury of the First to hit on 2's) & babysitting the Stubborn Defiance objective with the autocannon squad. I have since learned that you can't combat squad before deepstrike, so you must deepstrike both combat squads or deploy both of them (or keep them as a 10man unit). 

A big weakness of this list is the lack of anti-tank, 3 MM attackbikes is not enough IMO. If they get alphastriked or whiff on their shooting turn 1 or 2 its really tough. I've lost a few games since this tourney to Relic Contemptor Dreadnought - type shooting, and don't love to see a bunch of Tyranid Monsters/DG Armor & Mortarion/Eldar flying tanks across the table.

After ~15 games or so with this list, I've decided to mix it up with a new Ravenwing-dominant build. I only have 3 games with the new list so far but I am really liking the different playstyle (aggressive mobility vs terminator castle). It has a lot more ranged fire power & dakka with the massed bolter fire, doubled MM attack bikes & talonmasters, and plasma inceptors. I think the increased obsec mobility will be good, but 2/3 games have been against the new Drukhari and I was happy to sit back and shoot them rather than driving into that mess of melee death!

For secondaries I'm taking Death on the Wind, Engage on all fronts, and Deploy Scramblers/Mission/Faction specific.

- all the ravenwing can go full movement in a circle to end where they started and trigger DotW

- Engage is easy enough, with infiltrators usually starting up the board to move on an objective/table quarter

- Potential scramblers with infiltrators mid-board t1, deepstrike command squad in opponents table t2/t3, and bodyguard command squad in my deployment. Little bit of risk in the opponent killing infiltrators/command squad, but I think the aggressive mobility will force a failure in their back screen. 

I'm not super confident on HQ choice, I think a Primaris Chaplain or Int. Chaplain with jump pack could be an interesting addition, but the Captain is important for full rererolls on inceptors/MM attack bikes & packs a punch on the charge with a bike squad of S5 chainswords. Maybe even a librarian? Also undecided on his WL traits. Starting 6CP feels bad, especially with how fast I burn through it. Considering giving him the Master of the Codex instead of the imperium's Sword for 1CP on a 4+ during my command phase, or maybe Calibanite Knight. 

I originally had Black Knights in this list but found them too expensive & swapped for inceptors (more plasma) & a Champion to carry the reliquary of the repentant, but wound up cutting him and giving the apothecary the relic. 

My list: 

++ Outrider Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Dark Angels) [61 PL, 1,290pts, 10CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) 

Detachment Command Cost [-3CP]

Ravenwing Outrider Detachment [3CP]

+ Stratagems +

Stratagem: Relics of the Chapter [-2CP]: Number of Extra Relics

+ HQ +

Captain on Bike [8 PL, 160pts -1CP]: Astartes Chainsword, Teeth of Terra, Chapter Command:  Chapter Master, Thunder hammer, Warlord, Stratagem: Paragon of the Chapter, Fury of the Lion (Aura), The Imperium's Sword

Lieutenant(s) [8 PL, 160pts -1CP] Strategem: Hero of the Chapter, Rites of War, Arbiter's Gaze
. Ravenwing Talonmaster

+ Elites +

Ravenwing Apothecary [6 PL, 115pts, -1CP]: Chapter Command:  Chief Apothecary, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, Reliquary of the Repentant

+ Fast Attack +

Attack Bike Squad [6 PL, 165pts]

Attack Bike Squad [2 PL, 55pts]

Bike Squad [14 PL, 270pts]
. Biker Sergeant: Lightning Claw
. 6x Space Marine Biker w/Chainsword: 6x Astartes Chainsword, 6x Frag & Krak grenades, 6x Twin boltgun

Bike Squad [11 PL, 240pts]
. Biker Sergeant: Lightning Claw
. 5x Space Marine Biker w/Chainsword: 5x Astartes Chainsword, 5x Frag & Krak grenades, 5x Twin boltgun

Ravenwing Land Speeder Vengeance [6 PL, 125pts]: Assault cannon

++ Patrol Detachment -2CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Dark Angels) [36 PL, 710pts, -2CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost [-2CP]

+ HQ +

. Ravenwing Talonmaster

+ Troops +

Infiltrator Squad [6 PL, 120pts]
. 4x Infiltrator: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine
. Infiltrator Sergeant

+ Elites +

. Deathwing Sergeant

Deathwing Command Squad [4 PL, 70pts]
. Deathwing Sergeant: Lightning Claw (Pair)

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [14 PL, 275pts]: 4x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant, Plasma Exterminator x2

++ Total: [97 PL, 2,000pts, 6CP] ++
Edited by backsosoon