Unit bang for the buck?

Salty Beard

Long Fangs with multi-meltas seems to be punching above their weight. We can take 5 in a squad rather than the normal limit of 4 for Devastators. We also have access to Keen Senses meaning that we can put them in a Drop Pod or Reserves and still fire at full accuracy on the turn we come in. For an extra CP, we can give the Pack Leader Morkai Bolts to allow rerolled 1s. Anything less than a LOW will be nuked by that sort of firepower and even Knights or Primarchs are likely to end up bracketed.

At the moment I'd probably go with the primaris wolf priest on a bike and/or rune priests. Both are just really good options the wolf priest gets you into the fight while being pretty nasty on it's own. The rune priest is more of a toolbox unit that has just always been useful for me. Murderous hurricane is probably the power I take the most because forcing things to go last just helps out a ton vs. other CC armies. Next tier down would be dreads who are fantastic this edition.

I really rate wolf guard in terminator amour. I load them up with 5x combi-plas, 4x storm shield, 1xThunder hammer and a cyclone missile launcher, and these guys score me a load of VP if they can land on an objective or I place them I a way that means the oppo has to deal with them.

Yes a power fist would be more cost efficient but I think thunder hammers are so much cooler and rule of cool plays a part in how I like to play, sorry not sorry 

Yes a power fist would be more cost efficient but I think thunder hammers are so much cooler and rule of cool plays a part in how I like to play, sorry not sorry

Given the number of units with a -1 Damage rule seems to be growing, I think the extra points on the Hammer may be a good investment. Plus it allows you to insta-kill Plague Marines, other Terminators, bikers, heavy Intercessors etc.

If you are tooling up a squad, Fists make sense. If you are tooling up just one model, a few extra points on the Hammer seem like a good idea.

How do we get GH's, BC's and IC's into this area of the bang for buck list section?

I find I am stuck with the mindset that 10 mans are good, and yet until the morale issue of SM's fleeing is resolved it's wasted points no matter what.

2 x 5 seems as bit better, just not ideal as well as the fact that having 2 PG's per 10 man is fine, it's like having 4 PG's for two 5 man's, ya just gotta up the bodies.

How do we get GH's, BC's and IC's into this area of the bang for buck list section?

I find I am stuck with the mindset that 10 mans are good, and yet until the morale issue of SM's fleeing is resolved it's wasted points no matter what.

2 x 5 seems as bit better, just not ideal as well as the fact that having 2 PG's per 10 man is fine, it's like having 4 PG's for two 5 man's, ya just gotta up the bodies.

I really think it's going to be tough to get them there. The current mission pack is really pushed towards holding the middle objectives for complete battle rounds. Troops are going to have a hard time with that compared to termies, dreads, and bladeguard. Our troops are still useful but they're more for holding our deployment objectives and preventing our opponents from scoring.

I really think it's going to be tough to get them there. The current mission pack is really pushed towards holding the middle objectives for complete battle rounds. Troops are going to have a hard time with that compared to termies, dreads, and bladeguard. Our troops are still useful but they're more for holding our deployment objectives and preventing our opponents from scoring.

Troops have 1 advantage when pushing forward...OBSEC. If you ignore troops you risk losing objectives to them.

I have set up hard choices for my opponent based purely on obsec being a factor.

Earlier this week I charged a SW smash captain with armor of russ who had 3 wounds left. He had charged my bike chaplain the prior turn and failed to kill him...chaplain still needed rescuing though so I had to go in.

I sent in a 5 man WG (LC/SS) and 3 BCs who happened to be in the area. He used armor of russ on WG and killed the BCs before I killed him.

Why did he kill the BCs?

It wasn't a mistake. The player was not a scrub...it was the T5S2 season 2 champion I have promoted here previously.

We were playing vital intel and this combat was happening between the far left objectives. I held 1 (bc chaplain survived) and he held 1. If my BC survived I easily consolidate onto his objective and steal it.

That is 1 way BC can be used aggressively in combination with your elite units..

If your opponent kills the BC then odds are he left your elite combat units alive and you can make him pay.

If he ignores the BCs then you play the mission and snag objectives from him

Yeah I should have stated that they can put pressure on other objectives as well. I do think our troops are good I'm just not sure if they fit the criteria of the OP. They aren't particularly hard hitting for their points, and I'm not sure if they're a must take.

In games where my elite get killed off it ends up being BCs in assault doctrine having to shoulder the load.

For 90 points they have the potential to hit real hard.

I have taken down custodes with BC and savage strike multiple times.

I'd say there are in the good not great value category

Used a unit of 3 Eradicators for the first time yesterday and they one shotted a Plagueburst Crawler, I see why people complain about them! It wasn't even a particularly hot roll. For a bit of ranged support they certainly give you bang for your buck. 

When able, I try to keep a Dreadnought Babysitter near every single GH pack I tool up.

Would that be helpful? I can't truly decide between AC/PC w/ DCCW & SB or Fen GA / Blizzard Shield as the best ones to keep right next to them.

The idea of the AC/PC Dread is to be ranged firepower and heavy hitting melee. The FGA/BS Ven is for melee and SS protection. Before 9th, I could only pair the SS with the Axe.

Now that it looks like in 9th I can pair the BS with AC/PC and whichever I feel is more useful, I'm glad I can, as it's pretty solid to me to use a PC/BS Dread as a GH babysitter to camp on each objective, if just to make it that much harder to shift OBSEC rated objective holding units from their place, as a Dread on guard duty seems a nice way to say, "Hey, you want this?" and make sure that if anything is going that way I can then intercept the enemy with other elements or if something slips past, the other GH's and Dreads can fire support. Barring that, LF's and other long range fire support start to back up that objective group.

Still is a bit expensive, however cheap Troops guards aren't really that common, so... anyone got some better ideas?

2 x 5 GH packs and a Dread on one objective seems a lot of points not well spent unless one GH pack can safely peel off. My SW packs are sadly set at 10 by paint and total, the Morale phase sure has started to kick SM's in the teeth in 8th and 9th sadly.

I think the must have SW unit is currently WG with jump packs

LC/SS or LC/LC is the loadout

Buckets of dice and rerolling wounds

Good mobility as well

Had my first trial run with the successor double exploding 6 list last night

5 wolf guard with wulfen stone and reroll all hits from a nearby chaplain while in assault doctrine absolutely obliterated 5 transhumaned BGV

21 attacks ended as 37 or so hits

Those hits ended up as 30 wounds (4s rerolling thanks to LC and getting lucky)

After his 4++ saves there were 16 wounds...so even a CP reroll wouldn't matter.

I am hunting ebay for jump pack bits now...need more WG!

Edited by TiguriusX