PGL - worth it on Wyches?

ServoBadger

The new codex has got me working on my pile of shame, and I've built two five elf Warrior squads with PGLs on the Sybarite - I figure they can fire it along with their rifle so why not - and next up are two squads of Wyches to ride in Venoms.

I've had success with blast pistols on Hecatrix...es? Hecatrices? But firing the blast pistol would prevent use of the PGL and vice versa.

Is the PGL worth dropping the blast pistol for?

That's the fun thing.  You don't have to drop the Blast pistol for the PGL.  The Hekatrix can trade her splinter pistol for the BP and hekatarii blade for either a Power sword or Agonizer.  They can also take the PGL for an additional 5pts.  There's no trade-off for taking one unless you're looking for points to come under the limit.

PGL+Grizzly Trophies is gonna be decently reliable Mini-smites against most armies that don't have 9/10LD base.

Which IMO for that it's going into every Kabalite, Wyche, Hellion, and Raider I have purely for shenanigans unless I desperately need to upgrade another unit.

That's the fun thing.  You don't have to drop the Blast pistol for the PGL.  The Hekatrix can trade her splinter pistol for the BP and hekatarii blade for either a Power sword or Agonizer.  They can also take the PGL for an additional 5pts.  There's no trade-off for taking one unless you're looking for points to come under the limit.

I believe ThatRedOne meant is that because the Blast Pistol is Pistol and the PGL is Assault both cannot be fired, due to the rules on weapon types.

As to which one you should pick, it really depends what you're going for. If you're low on AT a blast pistol MAY be handy but they're such short range and wyches generally don't want to be that close. The PGL helps wyches do their thing better which is fighting Infantry, especially if you've geared your transports for -LD auras.

IMO PGLs will be my first picks pretty much always, I can't see myself needing too much AT with the amount of Blasters/Dark Lances my lists are coming through with ATM :biggrin.:

I'm trying some experimental things with my army; I'm going to explore LD debuff and terror tactics. Grisly trophies, of course. There's also an Agenda which lets you desecrate objectives and turn them into fear shrines; there's a Wych Cult obsession that mkes them take LD with the highest 2 of 3 dice, plus the Pray They Don't Take you Alive strat to compromise their attrition tests. And the Dark Creed are built for fear.

It's not my only trick, and I may decide I don't like it enough... But I definitely want to try it.

If you are going to pair them with Grisly Trophies, or other Ld debuffs, sure.  As time goes on i think we will see more Ld values drops to reflect 9th ed's different means of resolving Morale.  I do think there is some potential with the VPs for fleeing models secondary objective.  You are already debuffing Ld to generate Mortal Wounds.