Using retro/OOP kits in Heresy

I have quite a lot of old/OOP kits that I'm slowly in the process of renovating or in some cases, working on for the first time.

Things like 3rd Edition Rhinos and Boxnoughts are obviously models that have rules within the Heresy system already.

But there are others - particularly old Imperial Guard kits that no longer appear in the 9th edition Imperial Armour book - that I'm trying to think of uses for in an AoD setting. I'm currently restoring a Griffon Mortar Carrier, as well as a Tank Destroyer, for example. Pretty sure I have a Salamander in a box somewhere as well.

So I'm interested in if you've had any experience - either using them yourself or facing them - of these kind of kits being used as proxies? 

If they have the gear, the look, and the paintjobs, and majority GW parts, I wouldn't even call them proxies.  The bulk of my Iron Warriors are all converted old metal Obliterators, but I plopped some cool heads and Cataphractii shoulder pads on them along with 10 of them having the old missile launcher arms mounted on their backs ('scorpion' pattern cyclone launchers :D  ).  Perturabo I converted heavily from the larger old metal Obliterator and a bunch of random bits.

Griffon Mortar can be Legion Medusa, or with a longer barrel a Basilisk (go Medusa though).  

Easy way to bring old IG into the fray as Solar Auxilia is probably new heads.  Easily found on Shapeways if not FW.

I dream of going to a tournament with my metal Leman Russ (Primarch) and saying, it’s an official GW model, so it’s totally legal.

On a more serious note, there is a comment in the army list about being able to use pretty much any vehicle if it had Imperial Armour (ie 7th or earlier) rules, to represent the diversity of vehicles present in the crusade, especially as new cultures were assimilated into growing Imperium. So maybe Griffon can be Griffon (although I like the Medusa proxy idea too).

They tightened up using any old kit as a Lord of War to a relatively limited list a while back but all of those vehicles existed in period and should easily fit into a Militia and cults army, if not Solar Auxilla who have more restricted kit and typically nothing open topped. The 7th ed rules are floating around and any opponent worth playing should let them slot right in.

The original plans called for an armoured list in the Tallarn book which id guess would work like the old 7th ed armoured lists but that seems unlikely now. That said we played plenty of games using the 40k guard lists against Legions and it works fine! :) 

Id be totally okay with them being used as proxies or with old rules from whatever edition they were in as long as its not completely broken.

A bunch of guys in my group are stocking up on saturnine terminators and writing rules for then which I think is also pretty cool.

I for one have an old anniversary emperors champion that I mean to repaint as a legion champion in black.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

Just another thought, the mechanicum list (Ordo reductor) does give you a few obscure options for the “ordo reductor artillery tank battery”, with a reasonable degree of customisation and no limitation on the number of batteries you can field. The ordo reductor list actually lets you take four heavy support options and Minotaurs as non super heavies!

It may not be the direction you were going to take it, but it’s worth a look.

Cadmus