New Model Wishlist

The Woodsman

There has been a HUGE number of Primaris releases in this year alone. Enough so that there is a mainstream equivalent to every standard space marine unit in the codex now. It's obvious Primaris will eventually be the new standard. If that is the case I'd rather we get the Primaris treatment to add new lifeblood then share the same fate as the Legion of the Damned.

Honestly, I'm all for it.

There has been a HUGE number of Primaris releases in this year alone. Enough so that there is a mainstream equivalent to every standard space marine unit in the codex now. It's obvious Primaris will eventually be the new standard. If that is the case I'd rather we get the Primaris treatment to add new lifeblood then share the same fate as the Legion of the Damned.

Second that notion. As the new releases and models became available, that (aesthetics) proved time and time again to be the driving force behind interest, not loyalty to a faction. Statically, we are one of the least played factions, and us getting primaris is inevitable, ever since we saw them for regular marines. You could also draw the parallel that the fact it takes 3 years for us to get those primaris model release, implies that GW is planning to keep us extra-special (especially if you consider we didn't get updated with regular marines). Before someone else mentions this, I am aware that the flipside of that argument you could argue is that they don't care about us, and that's what they are doing it. However time and time again, they are releasing models for factions that people typically don't play, which incentivises more players to try them, all to get their sweet, sweet dough.

One thing I would like to see, even though not a new model, is something similar to the Dynastic advisors and Foetid Virion datasheet/ force org slots.

Would be cool to have a “Sanctic Council” or something. That as long as you had a Grand master in the detachment you could take a librarian, Brocap, Chaplin, and BroChamp all in one HQ slot, to save our precious slots without needing extra detachments.

Second that notion. As the new releases and models became available, that (aesthetics) proved time and time again to be the driving force behind interest, not loyalty to a faction. Statically, we are one of the least played factions, and us getting primaris is inevitable, ever since we saw them for regular marines. You could also draw the parallel that the fact it takes 3 years for us to get those primaris model release, implies that GW is planning to keep us extra-special (especially if you consider we didn't get updated with regular marines). Before someone else mentions this, I am aware that the flipside of that argument you could argue is that they don't care about us, and that's what they are doing it. However time and time again, they are releasing models for factions that people typically don't play, which incentivises more players to try them, all to get their sweet, sweet dough.

Here's the question: what kind of synergies could GK and Primaris achieve together?

It's not like we'd need to replace entire armies. Paladins, Purifiers, Purgation squads and GMNDKs are pretty good right now. But there's always been an issue with anti-armor and ranged shooting, having access to a few more units could make a huge difference.

Think about what the 3 Ps could do backed by Heavy Intercessors, Outriders and Redemptors. Now imagine if those units were psychic.

Ranged anti-infantry, fast attack, anti-armor along with our existing psychic / melee onslaught would be very interesting.

Part of the reason I bring this up: working on a Deathwatch army. They got access to the full Space Marine armory this edition while losing SIA on most units. It's a sea change, going to take a lot of time to process the possibilities. While most people think they are not competitive, posts like this keep popping up, encouraging people to rethink their approach:

https://www.reddit.com/r/deathwatch40k/comments/m6fxsn/deathwatch_are_top_tier_marines_if_you_are/

I'd hate to get too far down the road, expecting this to happen when it won't. But there could be a lot of upside if it did. 

Here's the question: what kind of synergies could GK and Primaris achieve together?

It's not like we'd need to replace entire armies. Paladins, Purifiers, Purgation squads and GMNDKs are pretty good right now. But there's always been an issue with anti-armor and ranged shooting, having access to a few more units could make a huge difference.

Think about what the 3 Ps could do backed by Heavy Intercessors, Outriders and Redemptors. Now imagine if those units were psychic.

Ranged anti-infantry, fast attack, anti-armor along with our existing psychic / melee onslaught would be very interesting.

Part of the reason I bring this up: working on a Deathwatch army. They got access to the full Space Marine armory this edition while losing SIA on most units. It's a sea change, going to take a lot of time to process the possibilities. While most people think they are not competitive, posts like this keep popping up, encouraging people to rethink their approach:

https://www.reddit.com/r/deathwatch40k/comments/m6fxsn/deathwatch_are_top_tier_marines_if_you_are/

I'd hate to get too far down the road, expecting this to happen when it won't. But there could be a lot of upside if it did. 

You misunderstand me. By primaris models, I mean primaris models specific to us, that regular marines don't have. Your point about the our existing units is a good one, however this is GW we are still dealing with. Implying that they will continue churning out new models, even if we don't need them. So from that perspective, it would be foolish not to expect new models coming our way. 

That being said, like yourself, I hope we get ranged weaponry that has more than AP 2 attached to it. That's defintely one of our weaknesses on top of overcosted strategems.

Yeah I'm good, not trying to throw my 5 thousand points of knights away.

I completely sympathize with you on this. That was my initial reaction when Primaris first came out, and although I've accepted the inevitable replacement of my beloved firstborn marines, I'm still very much on your side here. A lot of people have invested a LOT of love, time and money in their armies and to have to put that all aside and essentially start over again can leave a bitter taste. On the local level, we've addressed this issue at out game stores, and they are all supportive of the 'play as' rule for those who don't want to whole sale replace their marine armies. We can even do this with official tournaments. Now, it's less complicated for us here in Colorado Springs because of two factors. 1. A tight, like minded gaming community and 2. no official GW stores. For those with fewer choices in gaming venues (only GW stores, etc.) you may have to either give in or apply more creative pressure. I don't want to derail this conversation in this direction, but I did want to quickly address this issue as it is relevant to our collecting.

Now on to models:yes:.......

You misunderstand me. By primaris models, I mean primaris models specific to us, that regular marines don't have. Your point about the our existing units is a good one, however this is GW we are still dealing with. Implying that they will continue churning out new models, even if we don't need them. So from that perspective, it would be foolish not to expect new models coming our way. 

That being said, like yourself, I hope we get ranged weaponry that has more than AP 2 attached to it. That's defintely one of our weaknesses on top of overcosted strategems.

I understand your point here for sure:yes: We will definitely get new Primaris models and they will be specific to the Grey Knights. Whether or not we need them or want them, just like regular Space Marines, the Grey Knights firstborn will be replace by a Primaris range of Grey Knights. How similar in purpose they will be to the current range will they be? Probably very similar. And given this, I'm also concerned about AP and ranged troops and weapons as well. What I'd like to see is a greater availability of regular Space Marine ranged/heavy weapons/equipment and armor to the Grey Knights range.

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

Skywrath, your point was clear. Apologies if I seemed dismissive.

I wanted to suggest there would be value in getting access to the full Space Marine armory - which includes Primaris Marines. It's fun to think about.

Let me ask you something. I'm pretty skeptical of the idea GW would ever release a kit with Primaris models just for GK armies. From GW's view, what would be better - selling someone a box of Intercessors plus an upgrade sprue with heads / pauldrons / arm swaps, or manufacturing a new kit that only appeals to a small portion of the player base?

While I could see the former happening, the later doesn't seem to make much business sense. Not that it couldn't happen, but GW did just open the armory for Deathwatch. Sticking with this trend might be the path of least resistance.

Let me ask you something. I'm pretty skeptical of the idea GW would ever release a kit with Primaris models just for GK armies. From GW's view, what would be better - selling someone a box of Intercessors plus an upgrade sprue with heads / pauldrons / arm swaps, or manufacturing a new kit that only appeals to a small portion of the player base?

While I could see the former happening, the later doesn't seem to make much business sense. Not that it couldn't happen, but GW did just open the armory for Deathwatch. Sticking with this trend might be the path of least resistance.

I certainly wouldn't dismiss your point, but I think a Grey Knight sprue kit would not fit here. Grey Knights have a very distinct look and purpose with Aegis armor, Nemesis weapons, etc. To create decent GK army using standard Primaris kits and multiple GK Primaris mod kits would require a substantial financial investment far above that required for a standard Primaris army. Couple this with the fact that traditionally GKs go from a first tier army to a second or third tier army so fast that it creates a tear in the space time continuum, I think GW will see that this kind of plan will not only discourage the collecting of a GK army by new player, but cause current GK players to drop the line entirely. A completely new GK line will generate far more interest and excitement than a few mod sprues.

I also believe that if GW goes down the Primaris route, it'll be with upgrade sprues for the original kit. That being said, Grey Knights have never actually had access to the mainstream Marine weaponry (aside from on vehicles - eg. Heavy Bolters, Lascannons, etc. on Dreadnoughts and Land Raiders/transports/Flyers). Deathwatch are basically Space Marine special forces (I mean Marines are already kind of special forces but you get my point), being comprised of Veterans from various Chapters and so are in effect Codex Marines with a dash of exclusive, suped-up wargear. Grey Knights, on the other hand, function on a whole different level and in a very unique fashion that sets them apart from Codex Chapters. I'd go so far as to say that Cawl might not even know about them, and those that count who do might not be pushing for Grey Knights to be getting Primaris upgrades, from a narrative perspective.

Now, from a business perspective, GW might not be that inclined to release a whole parallel Primaris range only for Grey Knights players. I don't think that GW doesn't care about Grey Knights, I just think every dog has its day and our time will come, its just not now. This being said the current Grey Knight range is fairly recent and there is a precedent for "Marines" not going Primaris. Blood Angels have some very valid units that aren't Primaris (Death Company, Sanguinary Guard), Dark Angels are really hot right now and mostly so thanks to changes brought to the Deathwing and Ravenwing - both firstborn elements. I'd be curious to see sales stats related to Dark Angels since the codex's release. Chaos factions in general - looking at Death Guard mostly since it is the most recently updated - haven't seen any Primaris treatment (and this could easily have been made possible in the game's narrative) and are definitely relevant. I guess my point is that Grey Knights are so far apart from Codex Space Marines, and the player base seems to be reluctant to embrace Primaris, that new, unique Grey Knights Primaris units might not be a relevant choice for GW. What Grey Knights need to be a more "popular" army is a Codex update to bring them in line with new 9th Edition Codecies and late-8th Edition books. New Character kits, updated vehicle kits with unique GK options and a dedicated heavy support box with more/new heavy weapon options (again, uniquely Grey Knights options) could go a lot further to boost interest (and sales) for Grey Knights than simply giving them access to Intercessors and a Grey Knight pauldron/helmet sprue. I for one don't see Primaris Strike Marines being released, its way too niche for it to be feasible sales-wise, in my humble (and very personal) opinion. 

All of this being said, I for one actually am a huge fan of Primaris Marines. I'm just finishing up painting a friend's Ultramarines army (bunch of Intercessors, Hellblasters, some Gravis, Outriders and basically one of each character) and they are gorgeous models. I find myself holding back to start my own Gravis-only Imperial Fists army, just 'cause the idea is awesome in my head. So its not just Primaris-bashing - I honestly think we have much better odds of seeing upgrades to existing Grey Knight kits and maybe a Character sprue or two (think BC/GM and Champion)  than a full GK Primaris release. 

Edit**

I certainly wouldn't dismiss your point, but I think a Grey Knight sprue kit would not fit here. Grey Knights have a very distinct look and purpose with Aegis armor, Nemesis weapons, etc. To create decent GK army using standard Primaris kits and multiple GK Primaris mod kits would require a substantial financial investment far above that required for a standard Primaris army. Couple this with the fact that traditionally GKs go from a first tier army to a second or third tier army so fast that it creates a tear in the space time continuum, I think GW will see that this kind of plan will not only discourage the collecting of a GK army by new player, but cause current GK players to drop the line entirely. A completely new GK line will generate far more interest and excitement than a few mod sprues.

Replied at the same time, but pretty much echoes my thoughts.

Edited by The Woodsman

I'm all for everyone enjoying building, collecting and enthusiastically playing (i.e. having creative & competitive rules), with their favourite army models - new, old, conversions etc. whatever they like!

I also don't have any problems with the Primaris line either model-wise or lore-wise. And I have NO doubt there will be Primaris GKs eventually. But within the next 3 years or so? Nah. GW have their plate full upgrading models for other factions such as Eldar, Orks, while STILL expanding armies such a Sisters of Battle, Chaos etc. Lore-wise having Primaris in GKs...is absolutely no barrier for them, BUT it is work. It is even more work to officially introduce Primaris access for GKs and then deciding eg. which vehicles they should have access to (even Firstborn GKs never had Predators, Vindicators, Hunters etc.), while maintaining some sort of power balance rule wise...since more models, more work. 

Looking at the discussion here there is already a strong division among GK fans at what is the most feasible, desirable way to introduce new models - which include the eventual Primaris range. Some say GK upgrade sprues for the current Primaris range, while others say a completely fresh and unique Primaris units, with unique rules that would need to come with them. I'm curious though do the Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves have their very own unique Primaris units - apart from special characters...? Compared to the ever expanding Primaris range, how many of them can only be found in one of the distinct Chapters? Off the top of my head - I can only think of 2 units. Ultramarines' Victrix Guard, and Space Wolves' Hounds of Morkai (a very fluffily unit), though the latter is more of an upgraded Wolf version of the Reiver kit right?

Alas, just thinking about SOME of the ramifications of new models for GKs with the Primaris keyword - is actually daunting. Which is why I tentatively say 3 years before GW introduces a Primaris starting line in however way the do it.

Finally, as I even type this out I just look over to my side and see this:

maMRJju.jpg

Klni3Ul.jpg

Having built and painted every unique GK unit in our Codex over the years (with a sprinkling of Ordo Malleus) myself, I have no regrets. I still cherish every single one of my models! I already have my head-cannon in place so when Primaris GKs are officially waging war on the table, my Brotherhood of Firstborn who were trapped in the Warp - emerge for battle remaining unchanged all this time!

S08TW1P.jpg

No need to point Brother-Captain Stern. I just said this GK army will be unchanged...I have no intention of replacing you. lol

I love your optimism for a complete GK line.

I raise you 2 $15 upgrade sprues for each Intercessor box.

Looking at the discussion here there is already a strong division among GK fans at what is the most feasible, desirable way to introduce new models - which include the eventual Primaris range. Some say GK upgrade sprues for the current Primaris range, while others say a completely fresh and unique Primaris units, with unique rules that would need to come with them. I'm curious though do the Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves have their very own unique Primaris units - apart from special characters...? Compared to the ever expanding Primaris range, how many of them can only be found in one of the distinct Chapters? Off the top of my head - I can only think of 2 units. Ultramarines' Victrix Guard, and Space Wolves' Hounds of Morkai (a very fluffily unit), though the latter is more of an upgraded Wolf version of the Reiver kit right?

Yes and no.

In the Space Marine codex, several primaris options have sub-rules where if you are using the blood angel, dark angel, or space wolves, then said units or models can benefit from their keywords and associated abilities those keywords grant. For example if you had a Space Wolf army, then primaris intercessors, bladeguard and ancients would benefit from the wolfguard keyword.

Yes and no.

In the Space Marine codex, several primaris options have sub-rules where if you are using the blood angel, dark angel, or space wolves, then said units or models can benefit from their keywords and associated abilities those keywords grant. For example if you had a Space Wolf army, then primaris intercessors, bladeguard and ancients would benefit from the wolfguard keyword.

Sure, they have sub-rules but that didn't require them to have completely new / different models did they? That didn't make them a completely brand new unit with a unique model as well. Consider the example of the Victrix Guard (only for Ultramarines), you can't find that in any other Chapter Supplement. You can't use the Victrix Guard unit in the Space Wolves and give them the Wolfguard keyword. Is it more likely that GW would plan to make a whole range of brand new models akin to the Victrix Guard that can only ever be used in GK armies, or instead - include the Datasheet of the current Blade Guard Veterans in a GK codex, but also add in rules such as Brotherhood of Psykers, Daemon Hunters etc on their rules page (which is exactly what you've shown as an example for Space Wolves)...? 

On the question of Primaris no doubt they will come eventually for us, however I also believe it will be in a similar way to what we have now, ie one or maybe two dedicated kits only (std Inf and Hvy Inf maybe - sorry don't know what they are called)  each with enough choices to fit out half a dozen Unit types.

I wanted to suggest there would be value in getting access to the full Space Marine armory - which includes Primaris Marines. It's fun to think about.

No problems.

I agree with your notion of getting access to full Space Marines, but if my time of a year told me anything, we probably won't get that. I suspect we might get new strategems (or rehashed old ones) to fill in those gaps that we have, but it's unlikely we will get what the others will have. Regardless, I can't wait to get my GK off the shelf when we get our codex. 

From GW's view, it will be probably the first. However, my point still stands that GW has a tendency to manufacture new kits that they go out of their way to make over the top, crunch-wise, and the more competitive players buy them. This in turn, incentivises people to play the OP factions, making them start their <insert appropriate number here> faction. Then they nerf it into the ground, and those figures probably never see the life of day. I.e. see the Deathwing boxes - they've been sold out for about 6months now. That tells you something about how far GW are willing to go for people to buy their stock. Meaning that GW will give us a refresh (eventually) for the above reason.

I'm all for everyone enjoying building, collecting and enthusiastically playing (i.e. having creative & competitive rules), with their favourite army models - new, old, conversions etc. whatever they like!

I also don't have any problems with the Primaris line either model-wise or lore-wise. And I have NO doubt there will be Primaris GKs eventually. But within the next 3 years or so? Nah. GW have their plate full upgrading models for other factions such as Eldar, Orks, while STILL expanding armies such a Sisters of Battle, Chaos etc. Lore-wise having Primaris in GKs...is absolutely no barrier for them, BUT it is work. It is even more work to officially introduce Primaris access for GKs and then deciding eg. which vehicles they should have access to (even Firstborn GKs never had Predators, Vindicators, Hunters etc.), while maintaining some sort of power balance rule wise...since more models, more work. 

Alas, just thinking about SOME of the ramifications of new models for GKs with the Primaris keyword - is actually daunting. Which is why I tentatively say 3 years before GW introduces a Primaris starting line in however way the do it.

maMRJju.jpg

Klni3Ul.jpg

Having built and painted every unique GK unit in our Codex over the years (with a sprinkling of Ordo Malleus) myself, I have no regrets. I still cherish every single one of my models! I already have my head-cannon in place so when Primaris GKs are officially waging war on the table, my Brotherhood of Firstborn who were trapped in the Warp - emerge for battle remaining unchanged all this time!

S08TW1P.jpg

No need to point Brother-Captain Stern. I just said this GK army will be unchanged...I have no intention of replacing you. lol

Sir, may I say, I completely envy your collection. 

Sure, they have sub-rules but that didn't require them to have completely new / different models did they? That didn't make them a completely brand new unit with a unique model as well. Consider the example of the Victrix Guard (only for Ultramarines), you can't find that in any other Chapter Supplement. You can't use the Victrix Guard unit in the Space Wolves and give them the Wolfguard keyword. Is it more likely that GW would plan to make a whole range of brand new models akin to the Victrix Guard that can only ever be used in GK armies, or instead - include the Datasheet of the current Blade Guard Veterans in a GK codex, but also add in rules such as Brotherhood of Psykers, Daemon Hunters etc on their rules page (which is exactly what you've shown as an example for Space Wolves)...? 

Yes. If Grey Knights would get the primaris treatment I could see that as the most logical approach. Bladeguard for Grey knights with the brotherhood of psykers and daemonhunter special rules included if taken as a choice. A five-man squad with master crafted force swords, storm shields and heavy bolt pistols, now upgraded with a shared psychic power and preferred enemy towards chaos would make them brutal. The grey knights could supplement rules for them as a 5-10 man squad. 

No problems.

I agree with your notion of getting access to full Space Marines, but if my time of a year told me anything, we probably won't get that. I suspect we might get new strategems (or rehashed old ones) to fill in those gaps that we have, but it's unlikely we will get what the others will have. Regardless, I can't wait to get my GK off the shelf when we get our codex. 

From GW's view, it will be probably the first. However, my point still stands that GW has a tendency to manufacture new kits that they go out of their way to make over the top, crunch-wise, and the more competitive players buy them. This in turn, incentivises people to play the OP factions, making them start their <insert appropriate number here> faction. Then they nerf it into the ground, and those figures probably never see the life of day. I.e. see the Deathwing boxes - they've been sold out for about 6months now. That tells you something about how far GW are willing to go for people to buy their stock. Meaning that GW will give us a refresh (eventually) for the above reason.

What a good description of the release cycle. I'm glad we agree that's what tends to happen.

However, I'm skeptical that's what to expect. Custodes soured my hopes for a big GK refresh, they're the elite crunch force and continue to do well. Out of 24 factions, I'm not optimistic GW will want to switch that over to GK in particular, at least not anytime soon.

Right now, international shipping costs a lot more than it did a year ago. These increased costs will be with us for at least the next 12 months, there's a shortage of shipping containers worldwide. GW's is impacted by concerns over raw materials and fulfillment, they need to buy the plastic to make models as well as get them to consumers. To put this in perspective, drug manufacturers are having trouble getting bottles for pills because manufacturers can't get enough raw materials, entire supply chains have been affected.

While I have no special insights into what goes on in Nottingham, I suspect GW is making some very hard decisions on how to work within their constraints. Current conditions would favor releases that lead to the greatest short term profits, which might offset some of the additional costs they see in materials and shipping.

A question that may be worth asking: does a GK refresh fit the profile of the sort of thing they would want to release? My response would be no, they would be more likely to release an upgrade sprue for Primaris and sell those kits instead.

But I don't really know. 

Sir, may I say, I completely envy your collection. 

Seconded.

Edited by techsoldaten

maMRJju.jpg

Klni3Ul.jpg

S08TW1P.jpg

Love the models and Where did you get that case from? its Amazing 

Love the models and Where did you get that case from? its Amazing 

It's from Crystal Fortress: https://www.crystal-fortress.com/

I can attest they provide premium quality.

Off-topic, but how long is their shipping? I'm also Aus base, this actually provides a pretty nice solution to my ever growing GK army. 

Off-topic, but how long is their shipping? I'm also Aus base, this actually provides a pretty nice solution to my ever growing GK army. 

Approximately 3 weeks. They use FedEx.

(I know this is off-topic too but since there are other Aussie GK forum members here besides Skywrath, I think this one post can inform them all, instead of multiple PMs to different members - I hope that is okay Mods).

Approximately 3 weeks. They use FedEx.

(I know this is off-topic too but since there are other Aussie GK forum members here besides Skywrath, I think this one post can inform them all, instead of multiple PMs to different members - I hope that is okay Mods).

It's okay, but don't make a habit of it:wink:

Other than that, a real one-per-army centrepiece model is what would probably get my hyped the most.

Consider, either a Supreme GM / Draigo in NDK model (uniquely equivalent to the SW Logan Grimnar on Stormrider), or a named GM in Dreadnought (equivalent to Bjorn the Fell-Handed).

A more far-out centrepiece unit would be some kind of multi-model kit like the Silent King or Triumph of St Katherine - GK style!

x9sZzFJ.jpg

Paladins surrounding and transporting the Terminus Decree or some other Holy GK Relic, allowing all GK units within the aura to either cast repeated psychic powers, gain a 5+++, gain an extra Warp Tide bonus etc.

Ksta7hM.jpg

937sV7P.jpg

Why should Necrons, Sisters of Battle, and the (Dameon) Primarchs have all the centrepiece model fun....