The Last Church (Fan Film)

Deadass

Apologies if someone posted this elsewhere already, but a fan animation of Graham McNeill's short story The Last Church was released a few hours ago.

Link to Youtube

Say what you want about the story itself, but it's a decent watch if you've got some time to kill.

Edited by AHorriblePerson

It's years since I read this story so I didn't recall much of it but the voice acting and music did a great job of bringing more drama to the story and made the modest animation come to life.  In my opinion it was well worth watching.

Honestly, as shallow as the story itself is in terms of the pro-contra arguments concerning the religion vs secularism debate, this was an immensely enjoyable watch. Solid 8.5/10, will definitely rewatch a few more times while I wait on my minis to dry.

I just finished this and i have to admit, i really enjoyed it. The philosophical back and forth is something rare in "cinematic" entertainment. It's thought provoking and the creators showed great respect to the base material.

I have to agree with The Observer above, I'd rate this a at least an 8.5 maybe a 9. Definitely watchable and also re-watchable.

Honestly, now that I think about it, it reminds me of those little animation series Blizzard put out with Mists of Pandaria and Warlords of Draenor. Has very much the same visual feel and pacing to it - some awesome stuff.

I've genuinely watched this six times now! :D

I love the Thunder Warriors stuff. For me I am not a huge fan of the HH series beyond First Heretic but I love the Unifications War and the lead up and formation of the Legions and the Imperium. I think this does a fantastic job of capturing the feel of that time retrospectively rather than cataloguing every tiny reference or detail. It's just two guys sat recounting their experiences and I love the way the watch comes into play at the end. It creates this really nice moment of realisation which I feel snatches away the victory in an "oh damn son..." moment. 

I'd seriously love to see them do the opening of Horus Rising with the day Horus slew the Emperor story monologue, I think that would suit their style enormously. I'm really hoping that is what the post credits scene relates to.

I was bored, might as well watch this to pass the time. :smile.: 

I didnt mind the story so this should keep me entertained whilst I build more Guardsmen. 

++Edit++

Yep, that was enjoyable. :) 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

One of my favorite HH stories. This guy was just so honest, I think Malcador would have actually gotten rid of him if he took up the Emperors offer. My headcannon for Emps is he puts up a front of talking at you, not with you but 150% actually listens, remembers and takes on board what you say etc, even if not acting on it. He isn't space dad for nothing lol:teehee:

Just to clarify, when the Priest was a young soldier and managed to survive the battle with the Thunder Warriors, the figure he saw on the battlefield as the source of his unwavering belief in "The Divine"...was that actually the Emperor...?

Edited by Waking Dreamer

Just to clarify, when the Priest was a young soldier and managed to survive the battle with the Thunder Warriors, the figure he saw on the battlefield as the source of his unwavering belief in "The Divine"...was that actually the Emperor...?

Good catch! Probably a hint that it is, but as usual, left ambiguous

Yeah I think it's supposed to be ironic in that he devoted his life to a false ideal despite what the Emperor has told him because the Emperor appeared to him after the battle. I think it's supposed to represent that to mortals the Emperor's presence is so great that he cannot be seen as anything less than divine and it foreshadows what will come with the Imperial Cult that the Emperor tried to prevent.

It's basically like a God appearing to someone in a vision and denying it's own existence, trying to explain away itself with logic and reason but all the mortal sees is a God and all it does is make them believe all the more. It goes back to what the Emperor is telling him about how people interpret events to be divine or miracles. 

I also liked the watch, I don't remember that being part of the original story but it was great foreshadowing at the end.

Yeah I think it's supposed to be ironic in that he devoted his life to a false ideal despite what the Emperor has told him because the Emperor appeared to him after the battle. I think it's supposed to represent that to mortals the Emperor's presence is so great that he cannot be seen as anything less than divine and it foreshadows what will come with the Imperial Cult that the Emperor tried to prevent.

It's basically like a God appearing to someone in a vision and denying it's own existence, trying to explain away itself with logic and reason but all the mortal sees is a God and all it does is make them believe all the more. It goes back to what the Emperor is telling him about how people interpret events to be divine or miracles. 

I also liked the watch, I don't remember that being part of the original story but it was great foreshadowing at the end.

This. Also I think the interplay of humanity and belief systems is spot on. The Emperor wants a cult of secular science. I can only imagine the rude shock he got when he went to Mars, not only did they have a machine "god", they proclaimed him as the omnissiah manifest. He had to bend a bit there or his plans would have gone nowhere. I wish there was  commentary from Lorgar on how the Emperor was perceived as divine by the Mechanicum and his own works/ justifications etc. 

It was a pretty solid piece of work, look forward to seeing his future stuff from the clip at the end.

The watch was a clock in the story and the name the Emperor used wasn't Apocalypto (maybe regional print differences?) it was Revelation. Which is made reference to the Emperor using that name before in Fury of Magnus.

Edited by Blood Angel Scout