Eyes Only: The Fire Claws (LASC 2021)

This is an image-intensive presentation. If you'd prefer to view the text-based version, click here.

Hidden Content

THE FIRE CLAWS CHAPTER

sml_gallery_26_548_2690.gif

gallery_26_16979_207826.jpg

gallery_26_16979_86250.jpg

gallery_26_16979_33317.jpg

gallery_26_16979_20840.jpg

gallery_26_16979_4718.jpg

gallery_26_16979_123464.jpg

gallery_26_16979_169627.jpg

gallery_26_16979_175277.jpg

gallery_26_16979_169802.jpg

gallery_26_16979_9676.jpg

gallery_26_16979_104291.jpg

gallery_26_16979_168875.jpg

gallery_26_16979_227862.jpg

gallery_26_16979_161289.jpg

Notes:

[hidden]Many of you will recognize the names, realizing that this is the Chapter that we

Edited by Brother Tyler
Added link to text-based version, adjusted to full images now (no clicking needed)

Probably

+EDIT+

Yes, that's it. If you want to see the full versions, you can't be using the Mobile skin. You can use the normal skin, even when on a mobile device, by clicking the "Use Full Version" button at the bottom of the screen.

Edited by Brother Tyler

For some reason, I cannot see the full-sized images when I click on them, meaning much of what you wrote is utterly ineligible. Is it because I'm currently using a smartphone?

If you're on smartphone, you may be better off opening the images in new tabs.

On the other hand, while the presentation concept is nice, and the execution is well done, it is unwieldy in practice - would it be possible to have your text copied into a spoiler tag to increase legibility?

Also, I hate to say this but... I feel like the choice to present the whole article as an epistolary exchange detracts from the content. A couple of exchanges at important moments can add life to the article, but replacing any and all body is actually sucking the breath out of it. You've clearly put a lot of effort into the presentation, but I fear we're missing a bit of meat on the bones before adding the skin on top.

From what I can tell, much of the article is currently focusing on the angle of the chapter being manipulated by the Inquisition. That's an important element, sure, but what I'd actually like to learn about is how the Fire Claws show their devotion to the Emperor; what do the purification rituals of the warrior cult entail; a specific example of how a Fire Claw rejected corruption; at least one non-standard method employed by the chapter prior to the Claws' involvement. All these elements feel crucial to the Fire Claws' identity, yet they are glossed over - I find the "choose your own adventure" aspect you're going for interesting, but fleshing out the Fire Claws' on their own wouldn't actually detract from that plan, and may in fact enhance it.

Sorry if I'm being harsh, but I've seen you avoid these kinds of pitfalls in the past, and I'd hate for you to feel like you were forced to post this at a specific time if you weren't ready to do so.

And here, I'm going to make another critique you may not want to hear: I think you should be writing all this for an entirely DIY chapter, entirely separate from a canonverse chapter. I know you love the Relictors, which is perfectly understandable, they are a very interesting chapter; but everyone knows what their ultimate outcome is in canonverse. Your whole "will they won't they fall" angle has a lot of potential, but the suspense has been shattered by multiple "official" publications like white dwarfs, codex supplements, and/or black library books; or else you're talking about an alternate "what-if" timeline like in the previous article, which can break the reader's immersion when they aren't expecting it.

When, really, most of this article could fairly easily be reworked into your own thing, your own chapter.

Again, I'm sorry for lacking in tact and diplomacy, but basically, I think you have a few great core concepts, but unfortunately they are currently clashing (in my opinion of course)

Once again with good intentions the Inquisition leads a noble chapter down the road to hell:facepalm: ......... I LIKE IT:thumbsup:

Clearly, this sort of concept and format isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it works for me. The paper trail format gives the article a nice immersive feel and I think all of the basic bases were covered. You do have to READ the thing to get all the chapter details and that could be off putting to those who mainly skim read (note: Not a dig at anyone else reviewing here. Just an observation). I think the lack of suspense since we know the ending already is unimportant. It's the journey that's the thing. Who didn't yell NOOOO....DON'T DO IT when Horus and the Luna Wolves headed off to Davin at the end of Horus Rising? We've all known how that ended for years and still..... Like this piece, the Horus Heresy is all about the journey.

For those who like something more focused, you might consider a detailed chapter profile attached to the main report. As I said, this works for me and I'd like to see more. Well done Brother Tyler.

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

Fair points all around.

Ultimately, the decision to go with the Fire Claws was because the core of this challenge (to me) is someone else assembling and painting a model of the Chapter. While I explored a number of options (starting way back when the LASC was in its planning stages), none of the other ideas really seemed as if they would be as interesting for other people. Each one might appeal to one or two of the other participants, but the random assignment of DIYs meant that I wanted the appeal to be as broad as possible. The scheme that I had developed years ago remains one of my favorite schemes of all time, though I made some modifications to it for this iteration. The variation possible in the scheme - using just the basic scheme or customizing it with additional flame motifs - gives hobbyists a great deal of freedom. In addition, hobbyists can use firstborn, Primaris, or Heretic Astartes (the latter for those that want to explore the potential eventual fall of the Relictors to Chaos), or to switch over to the grey of the Relictors. Overall, I felt that the Fire Claws would allow the largest number of participants to find something that they would want to do with the Chapter, whereas a more rigidly defined DIY would appeal to far fewer people.

With regard to the amount of lore in the "article," I wanted to minimize the potential for GW to later contradict or undermine things with official lore. To that end, while the official Index Astartes article on the Relictors had a decided focus on their practice of collecting and using Chaos artifacts, much less information was provided in terms of theme, organization, accomplishments, etc. There is just enough there to give the minimum requirements for this challenge, especially when other official lore is taken into account. I didn't want to overly limit others to my interpretation of the Chapter. For example, if you were to compare my vision of the Fire Claws/Relictors to Lord Ragnarok's or Lord Kallozar's or Urza's visions, you would find four very distinct Chapters. There would be correspondences in key points, each of us focuses on different things and has different interpretations. Since the official information allows for a degree of variation, I felt it better to preserve that freedom.

As for the presentation, I was inspired by Imperial Armour Volume Four - The Anphelion Project. I've read it cover to cover once or twice, but there are many times that I've cracked it open just to read the messages between the Inquisitors. Beyond the detailed story of the events on Anphelion, there is a deeper exchange of meaning and potential meanings in both the text of the messages and the veiled meanings behind the "Thought for the Day" entries. Though I was telling a very different story, the freedom for interpretation worked better with my intended outcome, allowing the reader to decide upon whatever outcome works best for what they want to do with the Chapter. The official lore in terms of them becoming known as the "Relictors" isn't a given here - it's entirely possible to have them reject that path and remain unblemished by the use of Chaos artifacts; or one could extend beyond what is currently known and make them fall to Chaos; or anywhere in between. This is most definitely an "alternate universe" DIY (practically speaking, every DIY creates an alternate reality, but that aspect is amplified in any case where one takes an official Chapter and develops them beyond the lore that has been provided by GW). The lore I've given stops before the watershed event of the Captor of Sin, giving the hobbyist freedom to follow any branch they choose.

I knew that the image-based message presentation and limited lore wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, especially those that look for a lot more definite detail in their DIY articles. I felt it sufficient to the requirements of the challenge, though. I didn't realize that mobile viewers can't see the full size versions of the images, and that is definitely problematic since a significant number of our members use the mobile view. I didn't think that a text-based version would work as well, but after realizing the need for such a version, I'm pretty sure there's a way to make that work. The text version will be posted later today (with a link in the original post). In addition, I'm considering editing the image-based version to just use the full images (in hidden tags).

Here's the text-based version.

THE FIRE CLAWS CHAPTER

sml_gallery_26_548_2690.gif

+++ UTILITATUM ADMINISTRATUM OBSCURUS +++

++++Transmitted: Astropath Idonis

+++++++Received: Astropath Olmedo

++++Destination: Inquisitor-Lord Tavera

+++++++++++Date: 3 860 936.M41

Telepathic Duct: Terminus Konrad

++++++++++++Ref: Ordo Malleus/704458109/DT

+++++++++Author: Autosavant Nithard

Thought for the Day: The difference between heresy and treachery is ignorance.

Honored Lady,

Re: Fire Claws Chapter

After observing the Fire Claws Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes throughout the Maedor V Campaign, I have concluded that they are the ones we need to accomplish our goal. They have demonstrated purity of purpose, strength of will, and a willingness to endure any hardship to achieve their goals. With the right preparation, I believe that they can be persuaded to take up the cause.

I am requesting permission to move forward with further observation and preparation of the Chapter.

Your loyal servant,

Sazar Frias

gallery_26_16979_86250.jpg

++++Transmitted: Astropath Olmedo

+++++++Received: Astropath Idonis

++++Destination: Inquisitor Sazar Frias

+++++++++++Date: 3 867 936.M41

+++++++++Author: Autosavant Utrecht

Thought for the Day: Trust to your faith.

I am convinced that the most recent incursion of the Despoiler several centuries ago (Ref: Gothic War), devastating as it was, was but the prelude to some future action he will carry out in the coming years. It is imperative that we make further preparations in order to defeat the forces of the Great Enemy. The events of the Gothic War demonstrate that the Imperium must fight fire with fire. That which we seek has so far eluded all our efforts, indicating that some greater power is at work.

A reading of the Emperor’s Tarot appears to confirm that the Fire Claws Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes might be the Chapter that we need to secure and wield the tools necessary to defeat the servants of the Great Enemy.

Proceed with caution. The Emperor’s Angels of Death are notoriously hidebound in their adherence to narrow-minded dogma. If they oppose our objectives, our plan (and your life) may be imperiled.

++++Transmitted: Astropath Idonis

+++++++++++Date: 3 255 937.M41

+++++++++Author: Autosavant Nithard

Thought for the Day: Purity of purpose.

I was able to accompany a task force of the Fire Claws Chapter throughout a patrol of the Segmentum Obscurus. As one of the Asartes Praeses Chapters, the Fire Claws are charged with the defense of the region of space surrounding the Great Eye, including the Cadian Gate. The patrol was embarked aboard a strike cruiser and was composed of a task-organized company. The task force participated in several engagements. Most of these were smaller actions against pirates and xenos, though two saw conflict with more potent servants of the Great Enemy, including traitor Space Marines. The task force consistently adhered to the flexible doctrines and methodologies that are typical to the various Chapters of the Adeptus Astartes.

Throughout the patrol, I was allowed to participate in planning and command with the task force’s leader, Captain Rendarran, and his command staff. As a captain within the Chapter, Rendarran is also a member of the Fire Claws’ senior leadership council, known as the Conclave. This council makes all strategic decisions for the Chapter. All members of the Fire Claws with whom I interacted embodied a sense of purity and absolute commitment to the Emperor and Mankind.

Though generally following Codex Astartes tactics and dogma, I noted several occasions on which the Fire Claws displayed a willingness to innovate. More importantly, they were open to my suggestions during planning.

I recommend further action to exert more leverage.

gallery_26_16979_4718.jpg

+++++++Received: Astropath Idonis

++++Destination: Inquisitor Sazar Frias

+++++++++++Date: 3 257 937.M41

+++++++++Author: Autosavant Xian-Yu

Thought for the Day: In the dark when the shadows threaten, the Emperor is with us, in spirit and in fact.

You are to be commended for your actions. I am assigning another operative to exert further influence on the Chapter in furtherance of our long-term goals.

At the first opportunity, you will separate from the Fire Claws and report to Cypra Mundi. Await further instructions.

+++++++Received: Astropath Aviarel

++++Destination: Inquisitor Gaitan Felet

+++++++++++Date: 3 258 937.M41

Thought for the Day: Knowledge is power. Hide it well.

By the Authority of the Immortal Emperor of Mankind, this mission briefing (and any transcripts thereof) is classified information, for Ordo Malleus Inquisitor Gaitan Felet, eyes-only.

Priority Grade: Omega-Absolutum

You will travel to the Adeptus Astartes Chapter World of Neutra in the Segmentum Obscurus. There you will present your rosette and request to accompany the strike force being mustered to serve in the Kuribayashi Crusade.

You will take a minimum-sized entourage – only deputies necessary for documentation and communication are allowed.

Protocol: Pudicitiam

Classification Level: Amaranthine

++++Transmitted: Astropath Aviarel

+++++++++++Date: 3 262 937.M41

+++++++++Author: Autosavant Rafel

Thought for the Day: Pray for the future to vindicate your actions.

Receipt of orders confirmed.

I have secured travel with Rogue Trader Moributhi. Anticipated travel time is 3 months.

Mission parameters are understood.

Faithfully,

Gaitan Felet

+++++++++++Date: 3 462 944.M41

Thought for the Day: It is only by concerted will and faith in the Immortal Emperor that we shall overcome.

My lady,

Prosecution of Kuribayashi Crusade was an overall success over the last seven years, despite Lord Admiral Sargsyan’s death and the loss of the Raptor Defiant with all hands. Detailed reports of the crusade have been submitted through other channels.

My mission with the Fire Claws Chapter has been a success, estimated at 83 percent so far. Though the strike force is under the command of Captain Ardenax, I have spent the majority of the crusade operating in a detachment with one of his subordinates, Lieutenant Paraxes (see attached). I believed that my mission parameters would be more effectively achieved working at lower levels.

Observations:

+ The Fire Claws are fervent in their devotion to the Emperor of Mankind.

+ The warrior cult of the Chapter has a heavy emphasis on ritual purification and strength of will.

+ Despite frequent encounters with minions of the Dark Powers, the Fire Claws have been resistant to corruption.

+ There have been multiple occasions on which members of the Chapter have sought non-standard methods to overcome challenges that standard methods failed to overcome satisfactorily.

My work continues,

Gaitan Felet

gallery_26_16979_9676.jpg

++++Transmitted: Astropath Burabas

+++++++Received: Astropath Aviarel

++++Destination: Inquisitor Gaitan Felet

+++++++++++Date: 3 475 944.M41

Thought for the Day: The Emperor is with us. We shall prevail.

It is imperative that influence be exerted at higher levels. Influence at the foundation is commendable and will likely bear fruit, but only if the commanders can also be brought to see the virtues of concept.

You must redouble your efforts. I am preparing an agent to serve as catalyst under the proper alignment of circumstances.

+++++++Received: Astropath Burabas

+++++++++++Date: 3 243 946.M41

Thought for the Day: We are the sword of fire with which the Traitors shall be cut down.

Honored Lady,

As the Kuribayashi Crusade draws to a close, I must report that my mission with the Fire Claws Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes has been a success. In the final stages of the crusade, I was allowed to work more closely with Captain Ardenax. Though I more often accompanied (or more accurately, was accompanied by) a squad of veterans led by Veteran Sergeant Ithikleus during operations, I spent considerable time aboard the command deck of the battle barge Virtuous Hammer.

I used every opportunity to perform the Pudicitiam protocols and am confident that they were successful.

Yours in Service,

Gaitan Felet

gallery_26_16979_227862.jpg

++++Transmitted: Astropath Burabas

+++++++Received: Astropath Scurak

++++Destination: Inquisitor Aumber De Marche

+++++++++++Date: 3 244 946.M41

Thought for the Day: We embody the Emperor's divine will and His holy purpose.

By the Authority of the Immortal Emperor of Mankind, this mission briefing (and any transcripts thereof) is classified information, for Ordo Malleus Inquisitor Aumber De Marche (or his duly appointed deputies), eyes-only.

Priority Grade: Omega-Absolutum

Prognostication indicates that space hulk codified Captor of Sin will appear near Stygies or Milhand. Traitor known as the Excoriator is most likely aboard the Captor of Sin with a sizeable warband. Forces of Fire Claws Adeptus Astartes Chapter are being mustered to interdict and board Captor of Sin. Pudicitiam protocols have been implemented with Fire Claws and are ready for enaction.

You will take sufficient forces to augment Fore Claws forces and engage Excoriator. If opportunity is presented, enact final stage of Pudicitiam protocols.

Classification Level: Amaranthine