What brought you to Chaos?

Goreshed

The title says it all. Seriously, the board has been flooded with topics that are either "What unit should I take?" or "How do I combat this?" or "What's your pipe dream idea that you wish GW would make but will never do?" or the ever popular "How should I equip unit X?". So in the spirit of that, I offer you a new topic that will be salt free (in theory, seriously guys, can we bit just a weeeee bit positive for one moment, or at least for a single thread?) and hopefully give a spark to those who are more jaded (and have climbed to the top of the salt pile) or perhaps give hope to those who have recently become corrupted by our most excellent cookies.

So what corrupted your heart to Chaos? Why do you play? Why have you stuck with Chaos for as long as you have? Was it the Lore? A conversion you saw? Being an underdog? Simply gluttonous for punishment by GW? Was it a picture from GW or perhaps one of the legions' worth of artists that have thrown their work out onto the web?

I'll start.

I have been playing since the early 2000's and the artwork hooked me instantly. Once I had held the 3rd edition codex and read through it I knew I had to make an army of Chaos and the seed was planted. Twenty plus years later and I am still playing them. Having watched my favorite Legion (Iron Warriors) grow from the humble roots of that 3rd edition codex to seeing them fleshed out within the Horus Heresy series has truly kept me within the bounds of Chaos.

Word Bearers did everything wrong, everyone doesn't like them because they ruin everything. They are the perfect villains, so much fun, I love it.

Are they irredeemable? Hell yes, and I don't want it any other way.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Chaos were something a bit different, and I had long considered a Slaanesh force of various stripes before I finally started (originally it was WHFB Slaanesh I pondered). I was looking for a project to try and go the extra mile as a hobbyist at the time, so I thought this was the perfect opportunity :smile.: They were supposed to just be a Kill Team... now I have a full army (and growing), plus Daemons, and Thousand Sons :sweat:

Let's not pretend there's not some fun in camping it up as the bad guys either :laugh.: Moustache twirling evil for evil's sake, all dialled up to 11 as is the 40k way. I like the mix of Marines and daemonic in particular, things like Daemon Engines add something unique but you can also do things like a more "traditional" army of Marines and tanks etc. Chaos comes in many different flavours after all :smile.:

I started in c. 2000, not long before the legendary 3.5 codex came out. The artwork and the models hooked me in even before I started diving into the lore or had a chance to play a game. Never had to think twice about which faction I wanted to play, and have never considered stopping, no matter the awful treatment we've received. Back before I was able to afford my own models, my local GW had a small store Iron Warriors army, about c. 750 points, which I used every chance I got, but my true love was always the Black Legion.

It's not too often in video games, board games, or any type of game for that matter that you get to play the bad guys. In real life, we are all the good guys, or I should say we are at least not the bad guys, I hope none of you are out there doing bad stuff. So it's a fun way to escape. Plus the 9 traitor Legions are cooler than the loyalist ones. Example: Mortarion is a giant flying grim reaper that breathes poisonous gases. Guilliman is a boy scout and the primarch with "sweet logistical skills". One of them just seems alot cooler to me than the other. My opinion of course.

My two older brothers got me into the hobby in the late 90's, and they both played chaos. So I originally went orks. They both collected chaos marines and all the daemons but nurgle, because they thought nurgle stuff was gross (the old great unclean one was not doing nurgle any justice). My oldest brother switched to daemon hunters and necrons and my other brother passed away, so I eventually switched to chaos marines myself. I went the other route, and went nurgle themed stuff only. I eventually quit the hobby in 2012/13ish. 8th edition, with the combination of the new beautiful death guard line of models (I played DG themed chaos marines when I switched), and with the stream lined rules and removal of the templates, brought me back into the hobby. Been playing DG only ever since (sold all my old stuff when I quit). I recently got the nurgle daemons start collecting and that invidian Plaguehost box to keep the nurgle theme rolling. Also for Christmas I needed gift ideas, so I received the chaos space marines decimation battle box and two of the newer start collectings, so eventually I will do my own home brew chaos marine legion. Sticking to only chaos.

Khârn: The Red Path and the Night Lords Omnibus for me. I had always thought the World Eaters "GUNS? :censored:  GUNS, I DON'T NEED FIREPOWER ROCKING THESE GUNS" and "attack, attack, attack" mentality was amusing in a setting of the far future when other factions have things like Dark Matter weapons and the like. There's just something bold about running up to beat someone to death with a chainaxe and/or chainsword

Night Lords.... I just find it hilarious that they basically had no changes whatsoever when they went Traitor. They were the bad guys from the get to, and they knew it.

It's not too often in video games, board games, or any type of game for that matter that you get to play the bad guys. In real life, we are all the good guys, or I should say we are at least not the bad guys, I hope none of you are out there doing bad stuff. So it's a fun way to escape.

Nah, I'm pure evil. I work at a call center for automotive services. I feed off people's misery as they call us :lol:

Edited by Gederas

I’ve only recently started playing Chaos armies (2019?). A combination of:  ADB’s Black Legion and Night Lords books, the intricacy of the baroque Chaos armor, conversion potential and greater freedom to equip squads as you like drew me to the traitor marines. When the latest chaos marine sets were released, I knew I needed to have a Black Legion warband. 

I am not entirely sure. Back in 1996 I had just started second edition And like most newbies I had a small ultramarine army from the starter box and a few extras. Right around when the second edition codex came out, something really started to appeal to me about playing evil space Marines. I can't really say what it was but at the time the idea seemed really cool and something just resonated with the idea of twisted mockeries of space Marines. It became even better when I read about the heresy and ever since that has been my favorite story in the setting.

While I change my mind a lot about what to play, inevitably I always find myself drawn back to chaos

I was getting into the hobby while a bunch of local players were getting out of CSM. I bought some of the more expensive models from them and pretty much got given the rest.

It was less I chose to play CSM and more I could get a fairly decent army for a fraction of the cost. As luck would have it though I wound up enjoying the game and the faction.

Funny enough my first army was Red Corsairs, but the first character model I bought was Be'lakor.

I had flirted with the idea of a chaos army for a few years but never taken the plunge, even though I had accumulated the death guard half of crusade I still didn’t pull the trigger and begin building them. I could never get my head around why astartes would want to turn to chaos. Then last year they previewed the new word bearers praetor models and I though they looked cool, so I looked up the other forgeworld word bearers models and I was impressed. Then I started reading the lore and it all clicked into place, Lorgar was humiliated by the false god and went on a pilgrimage and discovered the true gods of the galaxy! Why wouldn’t he begin to spread the good word!

Way back in the day... when I was young, dorky and Realm of Chaos was brand new...

Went to the GW at the Mall for a pickup game, this was my first time fighting against CSM. Tore his army apart for the first three turns, he was down to a few units versus most of my army.

Then his Chaos Lord got into melee and ate a tactical squad. A Sorcerer became a Bloodthirster before consuming a devastator squad. Some Bloodletters ended up on the board and just wrecked my infantry. At the end of the game, all I had left was a damaged Dreadnought and a Captain, can't remember who actually won.

My first impression was that this army got tougher the more damage it took, and the summoning made it unstoppable. Lingered at the store after the game, bought a bunch of blister packs and started my second army that night.

Berzerkers. A unit so consumed by the need to bring things to an end, that they were not except from that ultimate drive to oblivion.

Nothing then, or since, in any fictional setting has so perfectly captured an expression of suicidal rage, painted across the whole of the setting they are part of.

It was 1999.

A friend brought me in around 2000 so I had the 3e codex first and then the 3.5. I started Chaos as he had started Ultramarines and I didn't want to play the exact same thing as him. Started with World Eaters and dabbled in Death Guard. Played World Eaters until 9th ed when I switched fully to Death Guard as they have an updated codex and lovely models. Will most likely go back to the Berzerker boys as they are still my favorite once they get an updated codex. I am hopeful they will get their own, but will accept if they are still part of the Chaos Space Marines.

Well....I've been in the hobby since 89' but with Chaos for only the last maybe 10 years? 

"Dark Vengeance" was my first foray really...I had to paint quite a few copies of it and ended up having to like Chaos! So 30 Terminators and a kitbashed Abaddon later!....

...spin forward to 3 years ago...I had a trip to Warhammer World planned and needed a small army to take. Crimson Slaughter had always caught my eye so I painted some up but as though they had just been pledged to the Black Legion.

And now?....2000+ points of Black Legion later...with a frankly silly amount in boxes awaiting to be assembled. Obviously I made sure that I now also have all of the older Codecies to for reference as well. WarriorFish and I have a long grudge match/story going to!

Chaos grab me as they are the classic fallen sons, with all their own character and eccentricities. Combined with some stellar work from the likes of ADB and they have become so much more than they used to be for sure!

BCC

The misadventured, piteous overthroes of the Thousand Sons are what hooked me. The whole story of betray and damnation is one of the greatest tradgedies of the setting, as well as Egyptian stylings, and Psychic powers being one of my favourite aspects of the game. I played TS back when there was no official models available for them, aside from a single metal sculpt, so you had to make your own. Even the unit in the Chaos Codex was converted from other models. Lots of fun with green stuff. 

Then 3.5 dropped, the unpainted army I was running was already gun-heavy, being the multiple 5 man Las-plas squads that dominated 3rd ed, they lent themselves well to IW rules, and combined with Christain Byrnes Iron Warriors article, Storm of Iron, and the multiple Obliterators available to IW armies in that codex, I was totally sold. Between my TS and IW's, I think every single model in my Chaos armies was converted in some way. My IW's at least had a metal component on every model. 

I havent really played Chaos in ages due to:

1) The awful 4th ed codex stripping the joy from the army

2) Endless tables in 6th ed meant the pre-game phase for my Thousand Sons took about 30 mins, and again stripped a lot of the fun from the game.

That said, I've been slowly growing a TS force of the new models, maybe I can get a combat patrol in place for the new codex!

I blame warriorfish and ranulf

I regret nothing! Regret is for the weak anyway :tongue.:
You brought me the pain of 1 wound marines!!! *Insert anakin I hate you scene here*

tenor.gif

Chaos are one of the main parts of 40k (or anything GW?), iconic and core to the overall narratives. It's why there are so many people sharing their journeys to the dark side (ok, I'll stop now) :smile.: With so much breadth and depth there's something for everyone, though I do feel that the "recently turned" group is rather small :tongue.:

Sadly every army has their ups and downs rules wise - but models are forever at least :wink: Since we're here, how about sharing some pictures of first Chaos models to put colours and models to the tales? Bonus points for a comparison with your latest :thumbsup: