IF Transfers: GW vs FW

Hi all,

Is there any difference between the IF Chapter/Legion symbol transfers on the GW "Space Marine Transfer Sheet" that comes in like every SM box ever, and the FW one for 30k? 

To my eye the "standard" one (ya know, black fist on a white circle with a black ring around it) looks identical on both, but I am asking in case any sons of Dorn who are far more versed or perceptible than I can point out any subtle differences.

TL;DR: I am putting together some VII Legion dudes and if I can save some $ that would be excellent.

There is a difference which will be more noticeable to some than others. To be honest though, I would barely bat an eyelid if you rocked up with your 30k-era models sporting the 40k-era symbol. It's a minor difference and if it saves you money, then that's really all that matters.

I don't think a modern SM kit comes with any, all the boxes I've bought only have Ultramarine decals.

I don't think it matters if you use the GW ones vs the FW ones, but since I've only seen the GW ones come in the IF upgrade kit, probably cheaper to just buy a couple FW decal sheets.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I don't think a modern SM kit comes with any, all the boxes I've bought only have Ultramarine decals.

I don't think it matters if you use the GW ones vs the FW ones, but since I've only seen the GW ones come in the IF upgrade kit, probably cheaper to just buy a couple FW decal sheets.

This. In the long run it's actually cheaper to buy the FW transfer sheet as the GW one is only... 10 symbols in total across two sheets I think? Whereas the FW has like.... 30+ or something?

Due to the evolution of plastic model technology, now there is very few situations that a GW product is beaten both on quality and average price, by its FW kin.

One is decals. Another is dices.

Indefragable: from your first post, it seems like you're covered on the 40k Imperial Fist decals side of things but, if ever, I have plenty spare and would be happy to send some over if it can help you out.

Really appreciate that, Frater, but I am ok at the moment. I have stacks of stuff from all the :cuss i've accumulated over the years, so if I can save a few bucks I might as well use them.

....though of course as @Doghouse and yourself have pointed out, the 30k is ever so slightly different and I'm the kind of person that can't unsee that now, no matter how unimportant or miniscule.