Thoughts on primaris captain with plasma pistol + fist?

I just managed to get ahold of a NITB store anniversary primaris captain with plasma pistol and power fist, and I'm thinking hard of building him and using him as my 3rd company commander? Always loved the model, very fluffy ..... but is he worth running on the table top? I don't play tourney lists or with people who do, but we still like to win ;)

Is he worth using with our chapter tactic, or is he a turd?

Thanks.

He definitely wouldn't be my first choice if I were playing against Death Guard ;)

I'm don't think he is bad per se, just outshone by other options. That said, on a points-adjusted basis, I could see some merit in the idea of him being a cheap "only here to buff others, not do anything unless needed" support character, rather than a "I'm here to buff the crap out of you other units and show you how it is done!". 

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I think he works better for Wolves who's trait negates the -1 to-Hit penalty of the Fist. I think we get more mileage out of the MC Sword and Shield combo of the Indomitus Captain where Red Thirst helps deal with tougher targets.

It is a really nice model though and I love the way it calls back to some of the early Marine Captains. If you like the model, then by all means build it and run it. If you are looking for competitive builds, there are better places to look IMHO.

Personally I think he works better for Wolves who's trait negates the -1 to-Hit penalty of the Fist. I think we get more mileage out of the MC Sword and Shield combo of the Indomitus Captain where Red Thirst helps deal with tougher targets.

It is a really nice model though and I love the way it calls back to some of the early Marine Captains. If you like the model, then by all means build it and run it. If you are looking for competitive builds, there are better places to look IMHO.

You are 100% correct but .... I don't care for the Indomitus Captain personally lol ;) ... what I've decided to do with him however is make him my Death Company Captain :) and you gotta admit he's a mean man for that duty!

Poor Captain Dorian who was second under Karlaen in the Archangels, joined the Death Company's ranks two weeks prior at the Battle of Harkonnen IX.

Definitely want to probably throw the extra warlord trait on him and make that fist master-crafted, as you can't replace it with any relic, and a -1 to/hit weapon thats only 2 damage feels pretty anemic. Maybe do the one that increases his aura range+leadership buff and have him be supporting several walking squads of infantry as his other one? That'd make him a decent buff commander with a bit of back-up punch (tee hee) rather than a murder machine.

No. Just not a big fan of lightning claws for my captain.

I am inclined to agree. 1D weapons just seem a bit weak on a Character in a 2W Marine meta. Unless you Master Craft them which is a definite possibility with Red Thirst. The problem then is that it is not a legal loadout for a Primaris Captain.

No. Just not a big fan of lightning claws for my captain.

I am inclined to agree. 1D weapons just seem a bit weak on a Character in a 2W Marine meta. Unless you Master Craft them which is a definite possibility with Red Thirst. The problem then is that it is not a legal loadout for a Primaris Captain.

That, and I don't like how they look! lol yeah I know, heresy. ;)