Mechanicus Rumoured Datasheets for 9th edition Codex

Prot

I agree that some new "heavy Skitarii" might have made the Transvector useful but considering the new toys we've had since the 8th ed codex I don't dare complain, I think Tyranid fans would probably lynch me. :teehee:

I dont mind the Galvanic change for Rangers. Standing still its hands down better.

Moving its 2 shots hitting on 4s at ap-1 as opposed to 1 or 2 shots hitting on 3s at ap0 with a chance for ap-1. Seems like a boost to me, especially when you start adding rerolls or buffs etc.

If the manipulus still boosts range and omnispex still ignores cover.... 5 men put out 10 s4(maybe 5 with canticle) ap-1 1dmg shots at 36" range that ignores cover to.

Doesn't Mars still get Panegyric Procession?

If this survives into the new codex it will make Rangers wild, so probably won't make it. Though given how the cognis weapons have gone to Assault, there is faint hope (and then so much disappointment).

I would enjoy running around with heaps of St 5, Ap-1 shooting that ignores cover on cheap bodies.

I really want a piece of scenery that no one will ever use and only stay in the cupboard.

We already have that. I even painted mine up... and use it as table scenery!

The change to the Galvanic Rifles is fine and welcomed to me. I hardly moved my Rangers, and when I do it's typically from eminent death. The Vanguard are the more mobile choice and they will likely see more Arc Rifles now that they have some use.(If they stay cheap).

To me those guys (Skitarii troops) are our throw away and screens. So I'm okay with this.

I get that people want to see new units. Everyone loves new models, but to be honest I spent a small fortune on the new stuff, and most of it (all of it?) is dual kits. So with how expensive all the newer product is I feel like I blew my hobby budget on: 

- 2 Flyers

- 2 boxes of Serberys

- 2 boxes of Pteraxxi

- Daedelosus

- 3 Skorpius tanks!

- 2 Skorpius Dunestriders

(Gees maybe I should sell this army now that it's almost all painted!!!)

Not to mention I had to pick up some Breacher kits because they might actually be valuable now. (I still contend they weren't very competitive.. I know some people loved them in tournament play.)

At the end of the day I personally feel like I spent a lot on the new stuff, and I'd really rather see the old stuff get new life. So far I'm disappointed with Onagers, but what I'd rather see than new models is revamped:

- Interaction with Knights. Why did we ever lose this ability to 'muster' with Mechanicus Knight houses? (without some form of penalty or identity loss)

- Onagers. Again... such an iconic unit.

- Kastelans. To me this is one iconic unit as well, but it is awkward as heck with the weird mechanism and Datasmith requirement. Just needs a minor tweak, and I'd consider using them again.

- Sicarian Infiltrators/Rustalkers. (We are halfway there!)

- Breachers/Destroyers

To me Breachers are our heavy infantry. They are just a little awkward. We are close to some good fixes, but we need to see a bit more.

Dying to see Cawl's aura/points!

I really want a piece of scenery that no one will ever use and only stay in the cupboard.

That's what the Ordinatus is for. As FW said in 7th - all models that had rules will have rules in 8th. Well, that has been a lie...

New models is not as urgent as other factions, especially as we just had a release wave.

Fixing the many underwhelming unit rules to make all existing units viable is more of an issue. Our current codex is ancient, and it shows.

Ruststalkers are meme grade unusable, and many others somewhat lost their identity in the past years.

Except for the torsion cannon, the changes look like a step in the right direction.

The torsion looks weird though, essentially a S8 lascannon instead of the previous non-melta multimelta. On a "brawler" unit with CC weaponry, but bad BS and just one shot. I rather hoped for 2 shots but still short range, but we'll see if there are any other changes that might make it viable after all these years.

That's what the Ordinatus is for. As FW said in 7th - all models that had rules will have rules in 8th. Well, that has been a lie...

That's one rules mishap that has prevented some really bad financial decisions on my part. It' probably for the best that I can't just wave motion gun someone off the table. :p

Liking the new weapon changes.

I have 3 squads of rangers with arqebus so they dont move much anyway, so the rifles being heavy is grand.

I also have a lot of arc rifles, the standard arc rifle being D3 damage now is a nice boost, and the 4+ always wounds vehicles is going to be really useful on arc breachers (who often wound T7/8 vehicles on 5s usually).

Torsion cannon is certainly interesting. 1 shot is a problem on BS4 unit, but the additional range and damage is great for antitank. Will be interesting to see how a squad of torsion breachers stack up points wise next to me poor neutron onagers.

With my breachers I could well see myself taking 1 arc and 1 torsion squad rather than the 2 arc squads I currently have, if only because its nice to have high strength backup against non-vehicle armies (e.g. nids, daemons)

Changes to cognis are all cool, I dont run ironstriders but still have a lot of stubbers kicking about. The d6+2 on the flamers is tasty. 

Edited by DanPesci

I agree Dan... my Rangers were not a mobile part of my force, and I found them to be the best backline 'block out' unit. Cheap and if they get hit by reserves... it's not game ending. The Rifles are fine for me with actual AP now. 

It's just my 9th ed experience talking here but really weapons without AP are just horrid unless your infantry is in the 5 point range and at that point they are pure screening fodder. 

The Breacher Torsion cannon is just such a weird set up on a BS 4 (We are assuming) model. 1 shot.... who cares if it reaches the backfield. This is a unit with a 3+ save and can be a little bit tank.

I just have to believe there is a fundamental rules change for the Breacher/Destroyer chassis in order for this to make sense. Our ObSec is mostly paper. I've been forced to learn a lot by playing Defensive Cohort.... you constantly get the feeling this troop type -could- be so much better, and make the game so much more fun.  No one like taking their Obsec and hiding it behind walls all game.

Let's hope for fundamental changes on those Breachers/Destroyers. 

Itll be interseting to see if theyve put new life into some of the old servitor maniple rules from 8th, getting inv or 3+ BS on them through use of strats again would be very helpful - as would the 'being able to replace with servitor' thing we used to do (especially as I have 8 servitors converted for this that are currently shelved ha)

Itll be interseting to see if theyve put new life into some of the old servitor maniple rules from 8th, getting inv or 3+ BS on them through use of strats again would be very helpful - as would the 'being able to replace with servitor' thing we used to do (especially as I have 8 servitors converted for this that are currently shelved ha)

ha. Me too and I just pulled mine out as point filler in the Defense Cohort! They aren’t bad for banners or scramblers. 

These revealed updates have put me in a quandary.

I have six half-built Kataphrons on my desk and I don’t know if I should pick Breachers or Destroyers. I plan to leave the gun barrels unglued so I can swap the main weapon between games.

Given what we know which unit will probably be the most effective? Local meta tends fo be vehcile and Knight heavy but there are some Tyranid players.

Personally I built 3 Breachers and 3 Destroyers and magnetised the main weapon options. The more durable Breachers screen the Destroyers, who (currently) have synergy with Kastelans Robots thanks to the Elimination Volley stratagem. 

However I would strongly advise you to wait and see what the new Codex brings. Until we know points costs and stratagems we are only seeing half the picture. Additionally following my advice would be a bad idea since I collect models and then try to make them fit into an army list rather than working out a coherent list and then buying what I need. I am not a competitive gamer by any means.

I have a spare box of Kataphron too. But we don't even have half of the picture, so let's wait and see what the codex brings. There are too many variables, with how kataphron can be buffed, what the remaining weapons do, and how other units might change that would make certain kataphron weapons more valuable. We don't have a hundred units, we are not astartes...

If the codex goes up for preorder this sunday, it would be available the saturday after. Enough time to clear the painting table of the current WiP...

Yea, just wait guys. There's just a little too much up in the air right now.

- Destroyer/Breacher chassis rules: Is WS stuck at 4? Is the save still different 3+/4+. 

- Armaments: The Plasma gets a survivability boost, but the Torsion Cannon appears to be really lackluster. Also the Arc arm is 'okay' in close combat, but we don't know anything (to my knowledge) about the other option.

- Intangibles: Invuln? Strats for invulns? Firing twice? Feel No Pain? All kinds of stuff could happen here.

Right. I'll hold off on the Kataphrons for a bit then.

I remember liking the old Acquisitor formation from the Cult Mechanicus codex-- One Dominus and his entourage of Kataphron Breachers who teleport onto the battlefield to steal archeotech. I know we will never get teleportation again (outside the Lucius dogma) but I like the idea of Breachers as bodyguards for a Dominus.

It's easy to see the flaws in Kataphrons compared to other armies. I keep reminding myself that they are just troops. Having heavy weapons on a troops unit has its own advantages even if they aren't super effective. Hopefully Kataphrons get a points break or other buff to make them just a wee bit better.

I have a spare box of Kataphron too. But we don't even have half of the picture, so let's wait and see what the codex brings. There are too many variables, with how kataphron can be buffed, what the remaining weapons do, and how other units might change that would make certain kataphron weapons more valuable. We don't have a hundred units, we are not astartes...

If the codex goes up for preorder this sunday, it would be available the saturday after. Enough time to clear the painting table of the current WiP...

We wont be up for preorder this Sunday. This Saturday is Be'lakor and his Broken Realms book. This Sunday they will show whats new in Warhammer where they will preview all the preorders for the next Saturday and during that week there will be articles related to it, like the 4 or so articles on Be'lakor this week. I highly suspect we are up for preorder on the 24th of April out by the 1st of May barring no further unexpected delays. So in 2 more days we will know if we are up for preorder the following week.

I am practically salivating at this news. No longer will Plasma Destroyers go off like popcorn with a few bad dice rolls, Transonic weaponry actually carving through armour? Torsion cannons being more reliable and longer ranged? This is some good stuff. I am surprised at Galvanic rifles going heavy since they used to have move through cover and the background suggested Skitarii fired from the move but they will synergise nicely with the Transuranic Arquebus still and I think most people use Rangers to camp objectives from afar anyway.

I am really happy with the Arc weapons overall now. They will be considerably more reliable against heavier vehicles. Does anyone see an impending jump in points costs for this new power?

They also had Relentless so could fire Heavy with no penalty (and other weapons). It wouldnt be outside the realm of possibility if Rangers ignored negative modifiers to hit as their special rule. Incursors do and they are a Troops choice for Space Marines and Dark Reapers do for Eldar. Rangers currently have none of their previous identity, they dont scout, or move better through terrain, they cant pseudo target characters and their guns finally got AP 1 which they should have from the start (all AP4 guns turned into AP1, Galvanic weapons decided they needed 6s to wound for it). So I can see Rangers ignoring penalties, they are meant to be marksmen.

Edited by Deffrekka

I think they turned rangers into backfield units. If they meant them to be able to move and shoot why even bother with a heavy designation and the a trait to ignore HEAVY? Just give therm two shots.

I would have liked a scout move or something. We’ll see hopefully they get some trait.

I think they turned rangers into backfield units. If they meant them to be able to move and shoot why even bother with a heavy designation and the a trait to ignore HEAVY? Just give therm two shots.

I would have liked a scout move or something. We’ll see hopefully they get some trait.

I've always used Rangers as backfield units- their rifles were always a better compliment to the arquebus than the Vanguard's carbines, so I never ran Rangers as a moving unit anyway. They were always used as backfield objective holders who could pop out two arq shots to threaten some light vehicles/characters.