'To Plunder the Stars Themselves' OOC Thread

Lysimachus

Just to answer a few bits;

Black Cohort: Yep, there are hints in the IT and short stories that it's one of Varn's big goals, he knows he can't expand without a more reliable source of more troops. Of course, even if he gets it working he still would need to arm and armour them...

Necronaut: Hmm, he might have a use or 2 for him... once he's proved himself, of course!

AT: Reading the fluff from RoB, an Immolation Rifle is 'ancient, exceedingly rare, barely understood and available in limited numbers', which doesn't feel like something the IG would have lying around? I'm cool if he wants a Flamer though...

With regard to tech stuff, I've been thinking about this for a few days. We don't have a techy character in the group, so I've been thinking about adding a NPC of some sort, but probably not an Astartes, who can follow the team round and do that stuff when you tell them to... (picture jeeves/r2-d2/bb8 but with the grimdark dialled up x1,000,000? :P)

- this would also be a way to apply Mol's very wise advice about having a GM controlled character for story development purposes too.

Anyway, in which case, I wouldn't worry too much about the techy Req stuff, you can focus on kicking... things... and taking names!

With regard to tech stuff, I've been thinking about this for a few days. We don't have a techy character in the group, so I've been thinking about adding a NPC of some sort, but probably not an Astartes, who can follow the team round and do that stuff when you tell them to... (picture jeeves/r2-d2/bb8 but with the grimdark dialled up x1,000,000? :tongue.:)

- this would also be a way to apply Mol's very wise advice about having a GM controlled character for story development purposes too.

Anyway, in which case, I wouldn't worry too much about the techy Req stuff, you can focus on kicking... things... and taking names!

If you have room for another player, and some patience with someone who is fairly new to RPG games with huge gaps in his knowledge but a willingness to learn then I volunteer.

AT: Reading the fluff from RoB, an Immolation Rifle is 'ancient, exceedingly rare, barely understood and available in limited numbers', which doesn't feel like something the IG would have lying around? I'm cool if he wants a Flamer though...

Anything that doesn't need a roll to hit works well, though it remains to be seen if there is any req left after useful stuff is taken - Odesseus always has his psychic powers to fall back on.

"Jack, rip that door!"

Good idea.  Servo skull, Tech Use, Security, Cartograph (so we don't get lost) maybe a couple of other bells and whistles.  Otherwise you could always go Old Skool and because the Iron Gods are lacking on top-of-the-line merch, give us a CAT. (It does the smae thing, it's just on tracks instead of a gravitic motor.

Then we can curse it all the time as it opens the locked doors we could just otherwise cut through.

Deathwing players know what I mean.

MR.

@Trokair: I'm definitely tempted... but I think for this bit I'd like to keep him/it as a NPC, as then I can use him when I need him and it avoids any issues with non-Astartes PCs being able to keep up with the team? Thanks for the offer though, as I've said before if we work our way up to more storylines I'll be looking for extra players, maybe you could join in then?

@Mol/Mazer: I've not played GoW so had to Google... but yes, definitely a possibility, and a servo skull/CAT would obviously fit nicely into the setting! Although I do quite like the idea of a tech-adept* type who can have a bit more of a human side that I can use to introduce ideas and bounce off the players?

*not AdMech, maybe just a regular pirate crewman who has discovered he has a knack for it and been put to use by his Captain... so I suppose technically a Heretek, although not in the full on Dark Mech sense?

So, what have you got so far for your 90?

Things that have been suggested:

Bulkhead Shears 17

(Not sure who wants to tote these around, I think Odysseus, Svelk and Vesalius have all got carrying space on them for another Basic-sized item? ...although maybe you don't want Svelk carrying it and the demo stuff, all your eggs in 1 basket and all that?)

Preysense Sight 10 (Decimus)

Demo Charge 10 (Svelk)

Laser Sight 10 (Orphiel)

And/or Photon Flash Grenade? 5

Flamer 10 (Odysseus, assuming he doesn't carry the Shears? Could give the Flamer to Svelk instead, I suppose…?)

Think a few (Decimus, Orphiel, Vesalius) have mentioned Chainswords… 5 x 3 = 15

Even if you take all of the above, we're only up to 77… it's just a thought, but you could probably upgrade to a Meltabomb over the Demo Charge, both 1-use so 2 extra Req for quite a substantial amount more bang seems good value? (if I'm understanding the rules right?)

That would leave another 11 to spend...

Sobek, anything you wanted in particular?

That's all just me trying to be helpful though, none of my business really so feel free to ignore! :D

That would leave another 11 to spend...

A cartograph is 5 and would provide us with a map (whatever the scanners of the insertion ship can pick up).

I don't mind carrying the shears if no-one else has space, though someone might want them as a close combat weapon.

If we are expected to fly ourselves in via assault ship then dropping the flamer and putting down 15 req for a pilot MIU might be an idea...

Edited by A.T.

I think if I include a techy guy he can cover pilot duties (and of course Odysseus can beam everyone places too! :P)

Excellent point re the Shears being valuable as a cc weapon, I had forgotten about that!

Edit: Looking over the weight of the Shears and how in the fluff its actually attached to the armour, I'm going to make a u-turn and say they count as a regular Melee weapon for carrying rather than a Basic/Large Melee... so that should simplify that anyone could lump it around!

Svelk has the pilot skill too if it comes up, but I was thinking that maybe, since it appears we don't know the station's exact location yet, we might end up boarding a ship that's trying to evade the Iron Gods, interrogate the crew, and then use said ship to board the station with the element of surprise?

Megatron 101.  I like it.

And...Interrogation you say...?

Sign me up.

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Firstly, just had to say I loved that post Necronaut! The idea of Vesalius looking around questioning the mental stability of everyone else… then calmly testing the edge on his torturing knife like that's totally normal… :lol:

Anyway, back to the main point of my posting: trying to pull everything together, does this look right to everyone for Req? (I've listed the things previously mentioned by who is carrying what)

Decimus:

Preysense Sight 10 (on heavy bolter, presumably?)

Chainsword 5

Kai:

Bulkhead Shears 17

Orphiel:

Ceremonial Sword edit: Choppy Stick :D 3

Odysseus:

Flamer 10

Svelk:

Melta Bomb x 3 = 36

Vesalius:

Chainsword 5

Total: 86

I think(?) that's pretty much everything that was suggested…

NB. I've given the Shears to Kai to carry as he hasn't requested anything, but he does also have a Power Sword as his 'Tac marine SIA clip replacement item', so he doesn't necessarily need a second hard-hitting cc weapon? It's just a thought, but if one of the chainsword wielders wanted something a bit more beefy, they could carry the Shears instead?

Ah, ok, cool, so that means we've still got another 16 to spend? Or do you mean you want a third mb* in which case we've still got 4?

*how much stuff are you planning to blow up? :P