'To Plunder the Stars Themselves' OOC Thread

Lysimachus

In terms of boarding actions - something to be expanded on in the ongoing discussion between Odysseus and Kai is that the librarian has short range teleportation powers.

It has a few limits such as needing line of sight, relatively close proximity (no more than 3500km at his current power level), and the minor risk of being thrown into the void but it is relatively stealthy. Of course you need to cut your way inside once on the hull.

Infiltration aside, I wonder if we could use that as an emergency "bug out" as well - if everything goes wrong, have the Dagger come in fast and close for pickup, beam across using mind-tunnel.

MR.

Infiltration aside, I wonder if we could use that as an emergency "bug out" as well - if everything goes wrong, have the Dagger come in fast and close for pickup, beam across using mind-tunnel.

As long as we can get cut a hole in the side. Doesn't need to be a big one (we don't need to fit through) - so it can also be used to get in/out of a ship through a relatively small break in the hull.

Hitting a fast moving ship is rather risky though, more the case that the ship would be hitting us :p

Some brilliant planning here, I'm making notes...

@Necro: It won't have proper Astartes craft aboard - as much as I love Caestus Rams, it wouldn't be true to the IG fluff to have one...

I was thinking it might have a few Shark assault boats though, maybe one of them with the mortal -sized harnesses ripped out?

There is an alternative here.

Talek Varn is basically running a protection racket, and these cheeky clowns have muscled in on his action.

Maybe we shouldn't bother with subtlety that much - we loiter and observe the shipping.  We bully smaller, vulnerable craft, steal everything and leave the hulk to be found.  We then repeat this elsewhere across the shipping lanes, and after a while, we say:

"Wouldn't happen if you had the Iron Gods as protection."

We either make them pay us to stay away, or they invite us in to solve a problem we created.  False attack signals could be transmitted to the ships to be found as evidence later.

It's a longer way of doing it, but we can ship back the stolen loot to Varn to keep him happy, and resupply in the field.

In the end, they'll beg us to save them.

MR.

Sounds like we're planning to wet our beaks(ies) with a spot of piracy in any event. We might be able to combine the plans/ideas outlined already into a multi-pronged strategy to simultaneously acquire booty, cause havoc (not Chaos), and potentially draw out our quarry or at least figure out where their toll-station is located.

Edit: on the other hand, we have but one ship and only six Astartes so maybe we're better off being sneaky, doing our information gathering and choosing our battles quite carefully.

Edited by Necronaut

These are all good suggestions, but first you need to narrow down which bit of the Salient you need to search. As a small hint, there is a simple answer to doing so, and Varn has already told you what it is… :P

Out here we're not likely to run into anything that much bigger though. Raiding ships that haven't paid their dues is kind of what the Iron Gods are supposed to be doing anyway, so it doesn't make much difference if they know we're doing it, and it would be very foolish of someone to try and antagonise Varn further by actively going after his agents.

That said, Varn probably wants results sooner rather than later, and once we've taken the station we could always keep that information down low and just wait for various toll-dodging blockade runners to come to port and take their ships then.

Was Varn referring to a warp-route?

Edited by Beren

Out here we're not likely to run into anything that much bigger though.

Also, good point here. You aren't going out of the Nebula to hit main shipping lanes (although the rest of Varn's fleet probably are doing stuff like this), so you aren't going to see really big ships, like the Universe class conveyors or IN Cruisers protecting them. So a Sword is probably big and mean enough to take on anything you might encounter...

So its a small scale target, but remember not an unimportant one. If Varn doesn't step on these interlopers hard and quickly, it would soon be a free-for-all of people turning up to bite off their own little bit of 'his' Nebula.

Edit: sorry, missed your edit. It is a warp route you're looking for, who might know about such things...?

Sorry dudes, I think I'm being needlessly cryptic.

Achard's question wasn't intended as a big plot point for you to work out, just as a little bit of development in your squad's relationship with him.

Maybe a better question to ask yourself is: Achard is an experienced pirate Captain who has been assigned exactly because he knows the southern parts of the nebula well, so what is the reason HE is asking YOU the question?

The back and forth of combat might also be an opportunity for Odysseus to arrive after his conversation with Kai, and demonstrate his ability to boost the prowess of others through his psychic powers. Something that the astartes might find distasteful in enticing as their nature dictates.

@Black Cohort -- I updated my post to better respond to Decimus's comments. I wanted to do it justice earlier, but I needed a little time to chew on his words.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/370180-to-plunder-the-stars-themselves-episode-1/?p=5700609

Edited by Necronaut

Unless anyone has any suggestions on what they want to do or think we should get on with (Oathing scene perhaps), Orphiel will unload and load all his magazines, then sit reading until the time to board comes.

@ Lysi: Can we leave anything on Dagger Thrust, or does it all have to come with us?

MR.

@Mazer: Yep, stuff can stay if you don't want it with you.

As an aside, I don't think we've named the Kill-Team yet (unless I did and forgot...?) so does anyone want to come up with anything, it could form part of your oath if you're doing that? Short and punchy is probably better, but I'm open to options?

Edit: :rolleyes: Duh, I did call them Kill-Team Plunder in the Character thread, but that was really more of a placeholder to tie in with the overall title, if anyone has suggestions I'm still open to them!