Opinions on the ravenwing ancient?

Vulshra

On its own, I don't believe that the Ravenwing Ancient has much place in a competitive list. The banner ability is a bit meh, so I think you're right - 100pts is a bit steep for what it does, especially when you have the option of taking the Apothecary for the same points...

If you upgrade it to the Chapter Ancient, then the Warlord Trait makes it a bit more worthwhile if you're looking to take a bike-heavy detachment, but don't want to take the Ravenwing Outrider detachment. Giving CORE units ObSec - particularly fast moving units like Bikes - means that you can be a big threat to your opponent. 

Of course, if you're playing a crusade game, then what would be more fluffy than Sammael riding into battle alongside a full command squad?

I guess you could try it with black knights/inceptors/hellblasters, but generally the only I time I take an ancient is with terminators for the -1 damage relic to discourage shooting.

Bladeguard ancient comes down as the cheapest yet durable body, saving 15pts or so and he gives Bladeguard vets +1 attack.

I guess you could try it with black knights/inceptors/hellblasters, but generally the only I time I take an ancient is with terminators for the -1 damage relic to discourage shooting.

Bladeguard ancient comes down as the cheapest yet durable body, saving 15pts or so and he gives Bladeguard vets +1 attack.

+1 hit, not +1A. And, he is pretty squishy comparing to a DW ancient.

hes okay but the weakest of the three in a stand alone role (the others being the rw champ and apoth) for 15 points less you can have the smoking hot chapter champion who i think is incredibly useful in most lists and id argue the more versatile elite chapter in any marines list other then the apothecary

and the other ancients just do it better in lists where its not pure ravens. in a pure ravenwing list maybe you take him but these days spamming lots of bikes doesnt get you far, this is sadly not 6th edition anymore where he would be excellent