UM tenth company blog

greatcrusade08

hey guys

played my first game of 9th yesterday evening.

took the 10th against eldar aspect army.

list was 

Captain in phobos armour

-lord of deceit, exemplar of the chapter: adept of the codex, seal of oath

Telion

3 x 5 incursor

2 x 5 infiltrators

3 invictor warshuits

2 x 5 scouts with combi melta/HB

10 scout snipers

2 x 3 eliminators with las fusil

1 x 3 eliminators with sniper rifle

3 x LSS

cant remeber exactly what my opponent had, but two units of shining spears were awful, he had a mixed bag of vehicles, including web spinner, a couple of transports, one with choppy wraith guard another with dark reapers (he kept jumping in an out of vehicle to shoot and hide), a few units of dire avengers and 3 psykers. A dread and 2 war walkers.

i made a mistake on secondaries, i picked behind enemy lines thinking i could outlfank early and start racking up points. however during turn one i checked rulebook and outflank cant be used turn 1 and then cant be used to enter enemy DZ turn 2, so was a massive waste.

i picked purge the enemy (he was MSU) and abhor the witch.

I deployed incursors as far forward as i could to take the middle ground, and pushed the invictors too up hoping to get turn 1 and smash early.

I didnt get turn 1 (different game if i had i think), so used lord of deceit to redeploy the incursors into cover and used the 2cp strat to redeploy the invictors onto one flank.

i wont go into full detail, we were both new to 9th and played for around 4 hours, only completing 3 turns. I had a good early round of shooting, but was losing the fire fight.

turn 3 i was behind and had very little left, but was able to focus on the objective game. I mived units into his end zone for behind enemy lines, cleared two objectives of his models.

whilst he did better on secondaries i smashed the primaries and it was 55/55 after turn 3 so we called it a draw. i would have lost if we went turn 4 though

the scout snipers and telion didnt contribute all that much, they did spank the dark reaper transports for 6 wounds in T1 shooting, but faildd to do all that much after. the eliminator snipers killed a character T1 and wounded his general T2 who was finished off by my captain.

i think the balance of 2 las fusil to 1 sniper units works well considering i have captain too who can snipe.

i was really hurting for AT weapons though, after my invictors died i really struggled to do anything.

i got full points on abhor the witch and only dropped 5 points on primaries over 3 turns, so thinking i should focus on secondaries that overlap with primaries i guess. suggestions always welcome.

I dont think ill outflank the storms again, with 18" move ill hide them at the back until needed.

and thinking of dropping telion for a Lt to get more from the las fusil (which were good) and the snipers for two units of supressors (maybe one as honoured sergeant?) I do worry that not even autocannons will do, I think i need melta

Sticking with the theme it’ll be tough to get melta in the list.

Do you take Haywire mines in the Incursor squads? I know this doesn’t offer much, but would mean those Incursors deployed upfield have a little anti tank built in

I havent tried them yet, in his game he killed all my incursors at range, but may be worth a trial.

im bringing out the supressors, not strictly phobos, but still a vanguard unit, so the theme is intact yet distended somewhat.

i must admit to keep looking at attack bikes and ATVs, but not sure how it will work in theme.

its a shame land speeder storms cant take melta, otherwise id load up on them.

I find scouts could be interesting in a footslog outlfanking role, but they die to a stiff breeze, so definately need the phobos primaris to be the shield wall in this list

I managed to squeeze in another game over the weekend, against a choppy custodes army.

incredibly elite MSU, with two little dreads and a big one. character on jetbike

i deployed aggressively but once again was denied first turn, so redeployed 6 units with lord of deceit and redeployment strategem.

the warsuits pulled back to be out of alpha charge and were able to counter a unit of custodes and obliterate them.

shooting was largely ineffective save for the las fusils and snipers, captain rolled 6 1s on his 5 hit rolls (i RR one with a cp at the end). the suppressors did naff all against the armour/ward saves.

my large number of infiltrators and captain meant he was unlikely to DS, so set everything up early, with the redeploy i was able to largely stay away turn one and shoot. I lucked out after his HQ on jetbike failed an easy charge, but trying to shoot him did very little. 

I again picked ineffectual secondaries, and its clearly a skill im lacking currently. i started strong on primaries but was easily pushed off objectives by the bully boys in gold.

one lucky scout sergeant forced 8 wounds on two different dreads in consecutive turns with his combi melta which was fun, but ultimately was fighting a losing battle.

I went the distance, leaving my captain and two incursors at the end, but in truth game was lost by end of turn 3.

going for objectives is key for this army, to this end:

-adding another unit of infiltrators to give me more mid ground wounds to hold objectives for longer.

-adding in an apothecary for the same reason.

-bringing back telion and sniper scouts for mortal wounds vs elite armies

positives:

-redeploy and anti DS makes for interesting early game

-start strong on objectives

negatives: 

-not enough anti-tank (open to ideas)

-warsuits die quickly in most games.

-i suck at picking secondaries

Choosing secondaries against an army that’s hard to kill - choose ones that don’t require you to do so like Engage on All Fronts.

yeah that was one of my secondaries, which i scored ok on, its much like scoring primaries, i do ok to start but once i get bashed  i tend to shrink back into my starting table quarter

I chose the assassinate one too, but failed to kill any characters, i should have thought about the saves/wards and high T/W of his characters tbh, or had more mortal wound output.

I was thinking against armies that use psykers i could pair abhor the witch with assassinate for double bubble.

edit: I think i need to be smarter with my LSS too. with 3 warsuits and 2 LSS my opponent went for bring it down, so as soon as i poked them out of cover they were shot down, whereas i need them to stay hidden until i can objective grab in later turns, or use them for Engage on All Fronts, so they actually score points for me

Edited by greatcrusade08

I would suggest going full Lasfusil on the Eliminators. With scouts and phobos captain, you have the ability to target characters already. Keep faith in the Suppressors, especially with Ultramarines Chapter Doctrine, they're great. One thing I'm going to try when the models get there is Invader ATV with multimelta. In my mind they fit in a Vanguard themed army, so these could also help with AT. Plus you could heal them too with the Apothecary (no resurrect though) and they are quite durable and fast so you can throw them in combat to stall the advance of powerfull units or prevent them from shooting.

I would suggest going full Lasfusil on the Eliminators. With scouts and phobos captain, you have the ability to target characters already. Keep faith in the Suppressors, especially with Ultramarines Chapter Doctrine, they're great. One thing I'm going to try when the models get there is Invader ATV with multimelta. In my mind they fit in a Vanguard themed army, so these could also help with AT. Plus you could heal them too with the Apothecary (no resurrect though) and they are quite durable and fast so you can throw them in combat to stall the advance of powerfull units or prevent them from shooting.

interesting idea, thank you, may give that a try

Yeah I think prioritising Las-fusil is a must in the 10 Company themed environment. I'm not sold on Suppressors as needing 4+ to wound vehicles isn't particularly effective, but they can help.

Perhaps drop 5 Incursors for 5 more Scouts with combi Melta so you can have 3 such units in the Storms could add another option. The 3 units can jump together perhaps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys my next game is booked for Friday, having considered the advice above ive got the following list:

Captain in phobos armour

-warlord: adept of teh codex, seal of oath

-exemplar of the chapter, lord of deceit

Sergeant Telion

2 x 5 incursor w/ haywire mines

3 x 5 infiltrator

3 x invictor warsuit

10 scouts with snipers/cloaks, one with missile launcher

2 x 5 scouts with combi melta and HB

3x3 eliminator with las fusil

2 x LSS

I think ive squeezed in as much anti tank as possible under this theme, be interesting to se ehow it goes.

As it happens it looks as though im facing knights, so seal of oath and las fusil may be put to good use.

Edited by greatcrusade08

Ouch! Knights are going to be a tall order for this list. I suggest you consider your Secondaries carefully and play hide an seek as much as you can with the big Robots. Take advantage of LOS blocking terrain as much as possible.

Looking at your list, I wonder if you'd be better with Successor Chapter Tactics rather than Ultramarines. The boost to leadership will not come up often with an MSU style list like yours and also don't have units that really need to Fall Back and Shoot like Eradicators, Hellblasters or big squads of Intercessors. Maybe something like Stealthy and Master Artisans would be better suited for your army. Though you would have to replace Telion with someone else.

I guess it depends if you play competitive or not. Even then, it will depends on the TO weather or not you can use your Ultramarines as Successors. But quite frankly, with the amount of marines army painted in a unique colour scheme that can be used as anything from Space Wolves Successors to Iron Hands, I would not be to worried about that. 

soo another game to report, and another loss :unsure.:

the knight list was 2 knights and 5 armigers. was battleline.

i got first turn and pulled off a decent turn 1, alpha strike from 3 warsuits killed two armigers and left a third on a single wound. i took wounds off both big knights and a fourth armiger with combined firing from las fusil and snipers. sadly he was able to make a fair few inv saves negating my eliminators with seal of oath combo.

his turn one was brutal, destroying all three warsuits and a further three phobos units and a unit of eliminators. Those knights are crazy powerful (700 pts each i guess they have to be).

turn 2, i have an opportunity to do something, he has one big knight on each flank near the objective, and one wounded armiger in addition on the left.

i bring on both scout units from outflank with combi meltas, i decided to focus fire on one flank and try and screen on the other, i took one big knight down to 7 wounds remaining and destroyed the armiger with the scouts ML. but wasnt able to control one of the flanks. his turn 2 he pretty much wipes me out. i really needed to kill one of those knights to survive, but not to be, we called the game turn 3

edit: 

we looked at possibilities for my list, it seems the weakest elements are the scout units, its possible to drop them all and run 3 storm hammerstrikes along with the invcitor warsuits for decent anit tank, i can then run the 3 eliminators units as snipers again.

if thats the way forward then running as successors with master artisans and scions of the forge would be best

Edited by greatcrusade08