Is it possible to change my B&C forum name?

The Neverborn

From our forum rules:

NAMES

When you sign up for an account at the B&C you are asked to create a USERname and a DISPLAYname:

• USERname - This is the name by which you'll log in to the site.
  • DISPLAYname - This is the name that will be visible to other members and will often be the "identity" you establish here.
Most characters (letters, numbers, special characters) can be used in both names. However, if your DISPLAYname ends with a number or special character, the member BBCode won't work properly (follow the link for an explanation). Note that spaces can be included in your DISPLAYname (as in mine), so you don't have to use underscores if you don't want to.

Your USERname and DISPLAYname do not have to be the same. Think carefully on what you want your DISPLAYname to be. We rarely change a member's DISPLAYname without good reason.

Typical reasons for changing a DISPLAYname are:

• Name is too long and throwing off thread formating. This is usually fixed by simply adding spaces or removing underscores.
  • Name contains offensive material.
  • Name is too close to another user's name. If confusion is caused by your name being close to an existing member's name, you may be asked to change it.
  • Misspelling. Sometimes in the rush to register an account a user might hit the wrong key and wind up doing something like spelling Rogue as Rouge. In cases like this we can often fix that with a quick reset of the DISPLAYname. This may not be possible if there is already a DISPLAYname like it on the forums. In that case you will be asked to choose a new DISPLAYname.
  • A DISPLAYname impersonates an important person in the hobby, typically a member of Games Workshop's staff (including associated companies such as Black Library and Forge World).
Reasons that a name change is usually turned down include but are not limited to:
  • I'm bored with this name.
  • I don't play this army anymore and want to change.
  • I named myself after a character who is now dead.
In addition, we have some guidance that we provide to prospective members. Members can't normally see this guidance unless they are not logged in (trying to reduce the amount of stuff you have to scroll through), but it appears at the top of the forums for anyone that is viewing as a guest:

User Name

This is the primary name associated with your account and is the name that you will use (along with your password) to log in. User Names must be unique (the system will notify you if you attempt to register a User Name that is used by another account). User Names must be 3-26 characters in length and may use letters, numbers, special characters, and spaces (i.e., you don't need to use underscores unless you want to). The User Name that you choose may not be changed.

Display Name

This is the name that is shown to other members on the site and is the name by which you will become known. Display Names must be unique (the system will notify you if you attempt to register a Display Name that is used by another account). Display Names must be 3-26 characters in length and may use letters, numbers, special characters, and spaces (i.e., you don't need to use underscores unless you want to). Your Display Name can be the same as your User Name. When registering your account, there is a checkbox to exercise this option (i.e., you don't have to type the name in again). Display Names may be changed by the Administrators if they lead to confusion, if they masquerade as GW employees, or if they are offensive. When you pick your Display Name, pick it as if it will be permanent. We occasionally allow members to change their Display Name, though the occasions on which we do this are rare and are usually tied to larger events (site anniversary, major overhaul to the site, etc.).

A couple of things to consider:

• Any string of characters longer than 20 characters in length will throw board formatting off. The best way to prevent this is to use spaces to break the display name into blocks that won't disrupt the formatting.
  • If your display name ends in anything other than a letter, the "member" BBCode won't work. The "member" BBCode is a handy way to link to a member's profile:

@Brother Tyler

[member=Brother Tyler]
    There is no requirement for a member's Display Name to be usable by the "member" BBCode, so it's entirely up to you.

We just started providing that guidance in May of 2019, so anyone that has been here longer than that and who has never viewed the site as a guest probably hasn't seen it.

As Nemesor Tyriks said, we occasionally have periods during which members are allowed to change their display name. These periods are few and far between - once per year at most (and not always that often).