Malcadors and thunderers fire twice?

Diagramdude

The FAQ was during 8th edition. When the new IA book came out they lost it again. The only Malcador worth taking right now is the Defender. As 7 heavy bolters makes it pretty deadly against MEQ's. The demolisher is more of a bonus. 

The Thunderer even at 120 points just isn't worth it. For 40 points more you get double the shots, a hull heavy bolter or heavy flamer, the potential for tank orders, the potential for objective secured if taken in a spearhead, and access to the hail of fire stratagem.

There is one strategy that could be interesting to try and that's min-maxing them. If you took 9 Thunderers that's 1080 points for 9D6 demolisher cannon shots and 108 T8 wounds. In terms of durability they're probably the most durable tank we have. Thanks to being so cheap, losing 1 or 2 in the first shooting phase isn't nearly as disastrous as losing an equivalent number of demolishers (or worse tank commanders). They also don't really need to take the spotter details regiment doctrine as they can take advantage of their whole movement stat. 

Which means you could slot them in fairly comfortably with a Catachan regiment, or a custom regiment with gunnery experts and jury-rigged repairs to further boost their durability. 

Though, I don't think anyone is willing to buy 9 forge world models just to test a potential strategy. 

Edited by jarms48

Though, I don't think anyone is willing to buy 9 forge world models just to test a potential strategy. 

I have been looking at ww2 tanks to convert for my Guard army as they will work out cheaper, now you have given me ideas. Mmmmmmmm explosions... :wub: