The Organization and Role of the Sororitas War-Machine

So yeah, all of the stuff I referenced in my thoughts on organizational structure was from codices; there is some weirdness here due to retcons, and as such, I prioritize by recency.  That two page spread from the 8th ed dex is where I took all of the info I've referenced for this thread. I frequently reference Saint Katherine's role as Domica's shield bearer, which I believe was from the 2nd ed dex, and I also still see the Sisters as being called upon to act is chamber militant to the Ordo Hereticus when necessary, and that's from the Witch Hunter dex.

BTW, not sure if I mentioned in this thread yet, but did anyone else catch the mention of a path to Living Sainthood in the Crusade rules during the preview? My ole ears perked right up for that- just like I was okay with getting Trueborn and Bloodbrides through virtual means, I'm cool with being able to become a Living Saint via Crusade rather than requiring an actual data sheet.

To go back to my thoughts on BL fluff: I liked Faith and Fire enough- the psyker was a little over the top compared to what you can field in the game... But if you took the Cult of the Abyss Rogue Psyker and gave it all the psychic upgrades, by the time it hit Legendary, it might be close enough- you'd have to fudge a little, because the rules as written do not tell you which psychic discipline to draw additional powers from. But I thought the Sister details were fairly well done.

Cult of the War Mason, on the other hand profoundly bothered me. The ridiculous Space Marine Deus ex Machina where five Marines achieve what a hundred or more sisters plus platoons of guard could not really, really turned me off. To be fair, it's been a while since I read it- I might be wrong about numbers, and of course the Cult was large enough to have co-opted some of the Imperial Guard, but I don't remember the scope of guard infiltration. 

So yeah, all of the stuff I referenced in my

Cult of the War Mason, on the other hand profoundly bothered me. The ridiculous Space Marine Deus ex Machina where five Marines achieve what a hundred or more sisters plus platoons of guard could not really, really turned me off. To be fair, it's been a while since I read it- I might be wrong about numbers, and of course the Cult was large enough to have co-opted some of the Imperial Guard, but I don't remember the scope of guard infiltration.

That book had a lot of potential, and then it ended absolutely terribly. I like my marines fairly powerful, they are super soldiers, but the portrayal in Warmason was horrendous. The Sisters AND genestealers both felt very underpowered. Genestealers are historically something that can threaten terminators in lore, and a Patriarch is a major threat to even groups of Astartes.

The other issue was, the Marines weren't even employing smart tactics, they were literally just walking through enemy fire. I envision marines being such force multipliers because they combine all their physical advantages with sharp mental acuity. Any marines just walking casually through a warzone should get blasted with heavy ordinance.

Mark of Faith is one of my favorite portrayals of how Sororitas fight and their power level

Edited by sitnam