Ork Updates & New Models - 9th Edition Discussion

Triszin

New Boyz!!! New be Orks!!!

What y'all think of em so far?

=][=

MODERATI EDIT:

(toaae)

I've merged the multiple threads about the stuff coming for the Orks' 9th edition codex into one thread.

=][=

Edited by toaae

Bah, you beat me! I'll put the post I was working on here (also fixing the thread title, hope you don't mind).

We've now been shown two models from what seems to be an upcoming range: the Squighog Boy and the Beast-snagga Boy.

With a reveal of the boy, I feel very confident that everything in the

will become a model:

med_gallery_14776_14675_119279.png

In today's post, they say the Beast Snagga Boy isn't as durable as a Nob, but hits as hard. Now, there could be stat line changes, but if I were to speculate based on current profiles, I'd say the new Boy would be S5, W1.

Based on the reveals, they seem to be 1 to 1 almost from the art on the trailer.

So extrapolation.

New kits.

- new Boyz

- 4 legged riders

- 2 legged riders

- pain boy

- warboss

- little boss

- beast wagon

Now if the other art work was accurate.

- new mega armor boss

I really hope this means Boys drop back down to 6 PPM. Finger crossed. 

So to clarify that thought a little, I read some speculation these Nu-Big-boys would come in at maybe 10 or 11 PPM.
I'm hoping for incentive to field both Boys and these new ones. To me I have a difficult time with current points for boys, I was spoiled for far too long I guess. 
Hope I can find a place in my collection for slightly larger Orks. 

Edited by Warhead01

I feel I'm rather lucky in the sense that my Ork army from many many many...seasons ago is gone and the new one I'm working on only has like 20-30 Boyz in it :sweat:  so these are new shiny's that I can easily put into my army (I play with mates only and for all our armies it's always "rule of Kool first before combat efficiency" :ermm: ...:laugh.:

I do think it could be a hard sell for most fraters that have upwards of 200- 300 Boyz in their collections :eek: to go spend money on something that's pretty similar to what you have an abundance of... 

I do hope they have 2 wounds though... they might not let em ride in a trukk though...and make a new stone age beast snagga towed wagon for em...

so you mayhaps have gotta buy that as well -GW thinking :dry.:

Mithril  

Nobs are toughness 4 and 2 wounds.

These will be toughness 4, 1 wound and strength 5. It said in the article they're stronger than boyz but not as tough as nobs.

As someone with stuff from rogue trader to now. I look forward to adding a snaggas group to further demo the sense of a greater waaagh.

Somewhere between regular Boyz and Nobz sounds like Skarboyz. I haven't faced Orks for a while, are Skarboyz still a thing?

Amusing to see that the Orks are now crossing the Rubicon Primaris. :wink:

Yes Skarboyz are still a thing just not a unit entry.  

Orks don't cross a Rubicon, that's not how Orks work. They splash around in it like a kiddy pool until they're too big for the pool or they drowned under the bigger Orks. :thumbsup: 

I'm really wondering if we're looking at a big stat shake up in the next codex. 

Not as Durable as Nobs could just mean they don't have as good a save. I don't know how GW uses that term, if it's for saves or wounds or both when they use it.

If these Snagga boys are locked to just Snagga stuff, like how Primaris units need Primaris transports.... Uggg.:dry.: 

Hope they're good on foot. Hope they can still be sent up field with da Jump or tellyported in. 

I really wish that people would stop calling them Primaris Orks. Orks have always been capable of growing bigger and stronger depending on their environment and enemies. Snaggas are just a natural extension of orkoid evolution we havent seen in model form until now.

If anything, Primaris are just orky Space Marines (but worse, cuz they ain't green)!

A size comparison of the Beastie Boy, a Regular boy and Nob:

https://imgur.com/mvIpZ35

Actually the nob from the boyz kit is just a tad shorter than the beast snagga boy, who's a perfect candidate for skarboy strength. Guess they will feature in a good many conversions for Goff skarboyz.

Cept his Noggin is smaller... not as smarts as a Nob den ey?... :tongue.:

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Snaggas Sled... in the reveal video it looks quite large with at least 5 orks on it...  2 launcher type weapons etc it may be the Snaggas version of a Battlewagon...  :drool:

Mithril

I really wish that people would stop calling them Primaris Orks. Orks have always been capable of growing bigger and stronger depending on their environment and enemies. Snaggas are just a natural extension of orkoid evolution we havent seen in model form until now.

If anything, Primaris are just orky Space Marines (but worse, cuz they ain't green)!

I've said the exact same thing in the past, but I think the conversation is different. Previously, people used "primaris Orks" to mean new orks designed by someone (Orkimedes, Ghaz, someone) that suddenly arrive in universe, a la Primaris Marines. It's dumb; as you said, there's no reason to create a fluff reason for why theres bigger Orks. They already wrote that fluff thirty years ago.

Now, though, I think the conversation is more about how these are being added to the range, without outright replacing previous models, a la Primaris Marines not replacing Tactical squads and what not. In this context, I agree; we're (seemingly) getting a whole slew of units with a unified name/keyword (Beast-Snagga) that will just slot in alongside our existing units.

Now, hopefully the fluff doesn't have these guys just appearing now. I'm ok with them becoming more common as the galaxy becomes even more of a fertile battlefield, but please don't try to connive some reason for why they have to exist.

I've said the exact same thing in the past, but I think the conversation is different. Previously, people used "primaris Orks" to mean new orks designed by someone (Orkimedes, Ghaz, someone) that suddenly arrive in universe, a la Primaris Marines. It's dumb; as you said, there's no reason to create a fluff reason for why theres bigger Orks. They already wrote that fluff thirty years ago.

Now, though, I think the conversation is more about how these are being added to the range, without outright replacing previous models, a la Primaris Marines not replacing Tactical squads and what not. In this context, I agree; we're (seemingly) getting a whole slew of units with a unified name/keyword (Beast-Snagga) that will just slot in alongside our existing units.

Now, hopefully the fluff doesn't have these guys just appearing now. I'm ok with them becoming more common as the galaxy becomes even more of a fertile battlefield, but please don't try to connive some reason for why they have to exist.

Yes this exactly, we don't need a captain Obvious to highlight beast Snaggas , just let em filter in as though they were always there...which they kinda were...feral snakebites etc 

we don't want a Orkisarius Kawl  of our own thankyou GW... :dry.:

Mithril

Yes this exactly, we don't need a captain Obvious to highlight beast Snaggas , just let em filter in as though they were always there...which they kinda were...feral snakebites etc 

we don't want a Orkisarius Kawl  of our own thankyou GW... :dry.:

Mithril

Though if they manage to come up with any characters that fit organically into the sub-faction that would be pretty cool...

I think the easiest transition would be have them be a lesser known sub-faction of the snakebites that has become prominent since the rift. 

Having said that Ork culture has always been about the biggest and bestest so it would be credible that they could have come from obscurity to become a rising power should the circumstances arise. There are probably dozens of Clans and subcultures that have failed over the centuries or are just really obscure much like the subculture in Gorkamorka on Angelis. 

I personally think it's entirely possible they could eventually become the dominant Clan and become the new look for Orks in general which is why I think people are making the Primaris comparison in that it's becoming a term in it's own right for rebranding an existing line rather than these are becoming super Orks.

I think the model looks great to be honest and an improvement over the old Boyz but I'm not a huge fan of the squig skins, I think I prefer the existing look. 

Love the idea and aesthetic but the monopose nature of everything really sucks

Yeah, that's the age we live in. I too would prefer less dynamic but more interchangeable models, but, alas, we get what we get.

Thankfully, though, as Ork players, we're more prepared to deal with that than other factions.

Agree with all of the above.. :rolleyes: :Troops:

If they are the new way Orks are heading ... i pray that they don't do the high fantasy look they did on some AoS orcs...i'm not a fan of that oversized WOW armour and stupidly huge shoulder ornamentation.... :sick: ...:yucky:  keep it real GW (well, as real as orks in the 40K age could be :tongue.:

if i get a whiff of the beast Snaggas being the new "ORK" i'll definitely go get a few start collecting boxes to make sure i have enough old skool Ork Boyz :thumbsup:

Mithril

Love the idea and aesthetic but the monopose nature of everything really sucks

Yeah, that's the age we live in. I too would prefer less dynamic but more interchangeable models, but, alas, we get what we get.

Thankfully, though, as Ork players, we're more prepared to deal with that than other factions.

We'll see how the models are cut. The hedonites range bar myrmidesh is virtually unconvertable.