Blast Curse or Blessing?

domsto

So one of the new big Rule changes that came with 9.Ed was the Weapon special Rule "Blast"

And honestly i think this Rule sucks.

It provides little to nothing and hinders more as it helps.

You can't shoot into melee with Blast weapons.

All the Weapons that are Blast(with some exceptions) are Statewise more Antitank Guns and will rarely fire at big Blobs.

All Guns that are Blast got a hefty Price increase becouse of it.

9.Ed favors MSU over big blobs anyway so the Rule seems kinnda unnecessary.

But this might be only my Observations i made in my little Hobbybubble.

So what do you Guys think of it?

Do you like the Rule and if Yes why?

Blast is only good against hordes. The minimum 3 against 6 - 10 models is barely noticeable.

Honestly, I’d prefer GW make one simple change. Make the minimum 3 trigger at 5 models and per dice. Then it’d be much more reliable.

Edited by jarms48

One of the reasons MSU is so favourwd right now is because of Blast. No one wants to take more than 10 models unless they have a specific plan for it and if they can help it they'll go with 5 or less.

I do appreciate that I don't have to whip out a template marker of everytime I shoot a big gun, so from that point of view it's good. And not shooting into combat I don't mind. We weren't able to do it before either, so nothing much has changed. Frankly, I'd feel too weird dropping my high ex siege shell right in front of my driver. XD

So it shapes the game by existing but without having a direct impact on my games most of the time. That's not the worst impact a rule can have. And let's be honest, there's plenty of rules in the game that only affect some situations.

The one criticism I do have is that the swing is too big. Nothing for 5 or less models, min 3 for 6-10 models and max shots for 11+ is just too all or nothing and bad design. The Wyvern is obviously the biggest example, where the min 3 shots does nothing but as soon as your target goes over that magic barrier you suddenly have your full 24 shots. So from that poiny of view it would provably make more sense to have it affect the dice roll or state you get minimim half your shots for the middle bracket or something.

But other than that I don't mind the blast rule. It's mainly there as an alternative to templates and a time saver and for that it worka alright.

The Wyvern is obviously the biggest example, where the min 3 shots does nothing but as soon as your target goes over that magic barrier you suddenly have your full 24 shots. So from that poiny of view it would provably make more sense to have it affect the dice roll or state you get minimim half your shots for the middle bracket or something.

This, it's so weird how it handicaps multi-D6 weapons. You'd think out of all of the blast weapons these would be similar to the old barrage weapons and hit at the same time, compared to say a leman russ that shoots, reloads, then shoots again. 

They should just be treated the same and blast should work on every D6. 

I guess I don't see a problem. A minimum of 3 is saving me from rolling a 2, could roll higher against a unit of 6 to 10. we can always roll higher, unless we don't.  
I don't see a problem with not being able to use blast weapons when engaged either. 

Edited by Warhead01