Filling out 2k of Ravenwing

Vulshra

Evening everyone,

I'm working on building out a dark angels list, but am at a little bit of a loss on filling in the last 165pts. Everything in the list is changeable, so if you have general recommendations I'm happy to hear them, but this is what I'm thinking so far:

++ Outrider Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Dark Angels) [82 PL, 9CP, 1,835pts] ++

+ Configuration +

**Chapter Selection**: Dark Angels

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) 

Detachment Command Cost [-3CP]

Ravenwing Outrider Detachment [3CP]

+ Stratagems +

Stratagem: Relics of the Chapter [-1CP]: Number of Extra Relics

+ No Force Org Slot +

Ravenwing Apothecary [6 PL, -1CP, 115pts]: Chapter Command:  Chief Apothecary, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter
. Black Knight Bike: Plasma Talon

Ravenwing Champion [4 PL, 70pts]: Reliquary of the Repentant

+ HQ +

Captain on Bike [6 PL, -1CP, 105pts]: 2. Fury of the Lion (Aura), Bolt pistol, Heavenfall Blade, Power sword, Rites of War, Stratagem: Paragon of the Chapter, Warlord

Lieutenant(s) [8 PL, 160pts]
. Ravenwing Talonmaster

+ Elites +

Ravenwing Black Knights [18 PL, 360pts]
. Ravenwing Black Knight: Corvus Hammer
. Ravenwing Huntmaster: Corvus Hammer

+ Fast Attack +

Attack Bike Squad [6 PL, 165pts]
. Attack Bike: Multi-melta

Bike Squad [11 PL, 265pts]
. Biker Sergeant: Combi-plasma
. 3x Space Marine Biker w/Chainsword: 3x Astartes Chainsword, 3x Frag & Krak grenades, 3x Twin boltgun
. Space Marine Biker w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

. 3x Space Marine Biker w/Chainsword: 3x Astartes Chainsword, 3x Frag & Krak grenades, 3x Twin boltgun

++ Total: [82 PL, 9CP, 1,835pts] ++

General idea is for bike squads to have the flexibility to either be big bricks to soak up and dish out damage as needed, or combat squad into 4 obsec squads zipping around the table. I know a Tallonmaster fits as the 165 exactly, but I can't help but think something else (like a darkshroud or another chainsword bike squad or something) might be better for objectives or durability.

The Talonmaster is the right choice here, his damage output is very high and his buffs are valuable - rerolling 1’s to wound for meltas or a ton of bolterfire is big, and his ignore cover ability can also make a difference.

I’d take him and give him Rites of War, and up the smash-ability of your captain with something like the Imperium’s Sword alongside Fury of the Lion. I’d also opt for The Teeth of Terra chainsword relic over the heavenfall blade as it gives +3 attacks.

The Darkshroud’s -1 hit aura isn’t as powerful in 9th since modifiers don’t stack, I don’t think it’s worth the points with practically no damage output.

Consider shifting multi Melta bikes to your bike squads, as they can soak up 2 D3 shots that would otherwise kill 2 bikes and can still be revived.

Edited by backsosoon

Both bike squads already have an attack bike, so there's a total of 11 in the list.

On the captain, I was thinking the rights of war to make the black knights obsec, and if i add another talon master, why not decisive tactician to improve the range and ap threat of the attack bikes?

Also, if I switch to the teeth of tera, what should I do with the 5pts that saves ?

Oh sorry missed those attack bikes! Honestly I would suggest adding a few more regular bikes, I run them as squads of 6 or 7 so you can combat squad them. The obsec is huge, and stealing objectives on turn 3 and 4 is a big swing with their movement & the option of the extra 12” move after advancing. Plus with your special weapons it’ll be good to have some models to pull before you get to them. I think you could cut down to 8 or 9 attack bikes to find some points.

Well you could send the Talonmaster up with the black knights anyway, giving them the obsec & rerolls of 1 to wound. I will say that strategy is risky, as black knights are a bit of a glass hammer and you could lose a ton of your army right off the bat.

Another option is to use the chapter master reroll’s on them & then send them up alone, or you could even give send the Champion up with them with Rites of War. I also like having a primaris chaplain on a bike, so you can give them a buff or two from him along with the chapter master rerolls before sending them up.

That said, I run a patrol with plasma inceptors over black knights so another brother might have better advice on using them.

Good idea on the champion. They are already 6 man squads + attack bike, so I've got the durability. I'll mess around with the warlord traits to see what adds the most smash

How would you go about adding the chaplain? Given I'm out of HQ slots, it would have to be another detachment. I've been toying with the idea of a 1st company detachment to go with it but very uncertain

Edit: I just realized a DW assault terminator bolter squad can be approximated by a bike squad with catechism of fire, which can be further buffed by Recitation of Focus, and swaps durability for mobility. I've come up with this as an alternative list. I swapped back to the Heavenfall Blade from the chainsword relic because the new 5 man squad already brings a ton of chainsword attacks, swapped the champion for a chaplain, and dropped a MM attack bike to pay for it.

++ Outrider Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Dark Angels) [64 PL, 9CP, 1,380pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) 

+ Stratagems +

Stratagem: Relics of the Chapter [-1CP]: Number of Extra Relics

+ No Force Org Slot +

Ravenwing Apothecary [6 PL, -1CP, 115pts]: Chapter Command:  Chief Apothecary, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

+ HQ +

Captain on Bike [6 PL, -1CP, 105pts]: 2. Fury of the Lion (Aura), Bolt pistol, Heavenfall Blade, Power sword, Rites of War, Stratagem: Paragon of the Chapter, Warlord

Lieutenant(s) [8 PL, 160pts]
. Ravenwing Talonmaster

+ Elites +

Ravenwing Black Knights [18 PL, 360pts]
. Ravenwing Huntmaster: Corvus Hammer

+ Fast Attack +

Attack Bike Squad [4 PL, 110pts]

++ Outrider Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Dark Angels) [28 PL, , 620pts] ++

+ Configuration +

+ HQ +

Primaris Chaplain on Bike [7 PL, 140pts]: 2. Catechism of Fire, 5. Recitation of Focus, Chapter Command:  Master of Sanctity, Reliquary of the Repentant

+ Fast Attack +

Bike Squad [9 PL, 150pts]
. Biker Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword
. 4x Space Marine Biker w/Chainsword: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Twin boltgun

++ Total: [92 PL, 9CP, 2,000pts] ++
should be 6 CP Because only 1 outrider gets refunded.
Created with BattleScribe
Edited by Vulshra

My main thought is that I don't think the addition of the Interrogator Chaplain is worth the 3 CP tax you're paying to get the extra Outrider detachment.

Also, it'd probably be a good idea to throw some thunder hammers on your Bike Squad sergeants. With all the multimeltas you're throwing in your list, plus the Ravenwing Knights, I don't think you'll suffer from losing a couple combi-plasmas. However, Ravenwing don't have a ton of assault options that can knock a tough target off an objective. The hammers would help.

My main thought is that I don't think the addition of the Interrogator Chaplain is worth the 3 CP tax you're paying to get the extra Outrider detachment.

Also, it'd probably be a good idea to throw some thunder hammers on your Bike Squad sergeants. With all the multimeltas you're throwing in your list, plus the Ravenwing Knights, I don't think you'll suffer from losing a couple combi-plasmas. However, Ravenwing don't have a ton of assault options that can knock a tough target off an objective. The hammers would help.

So do you concur that I should stick to one outrider detachment with 2 talonmasters? or is there a restructuring you think would be beneficial

Don't you need an additional bike squad with nothing fancy just to sit on objectives or deny them with obsec?

I think 3 bike squads are great to give you flexibility, could be used for engage on all fronts or oath of the moment.