Hive Fleet Goliath: 2000 point list

Evil Eye

(Note: This was made using the App, so forgive any errors as a result of that!)

(Also note: Units in green have already been built/painted to a state where they can no longer have wargear swapped out or modified)

Hive Fleet Goliath

Tyranids - Strike Force - Eternal War ( 12CP - 1999PT - 1PT )

Tyranids Battalion Detachment ( 3CP - 1999PT )

SUB-FACTION: Goliath (Bio-Metallic Cysts, Metamorphic Regrowth)

HQ

WARLORD: Hive Tyrant (210) Heavy venom cannon, Monstrous rending claws, Adrenal glands, Wings

TRAITS: Adaptive Physiology

PSYCHIC POWERS: Catalyst, Dominion

RELICS: Pathogenesis

Tyranid Prime (94) Deathspitter, Lash whip and bonesword, Adrenal glands, Toxin sacs

TROOPS

Hormagaunts (120)

20x Hormagaunt

Hormagaunts (120)

20x Hormagaunt

Termagants (140)

20x Termagant: Devourer

Tyranid Warriors (126)

1x Tyranid Warrior: Rending claws, Venom cannon

4x Tyranid Warrior: Rending claws

Tyranid Warriors (126)

1x Tyranid Warrior: Rending claws, Venom cannon

4x Tyranid Warrior: Rending claws

ELITES

Haruspex (170) (Adaptive physiology- Dermic Symbiosis)

Venomthropes (99)

3x Venomthrope

FAST ATTACK

Raveners (132)

6x Ravener: Spinefists

Raveners (132)

6x Ravener: Spinefists

HEAVY SUPPORT

Carnifexes (140) Bio-plasma, Bone mace, Monstrous crushing claws, Stranglethorn cannon, Chitin thorns, Spore cysts

Screamer-killers (390)

3x Screamer-Killer: Spore cysts

Total Command Points: 3/15

Reinforcement Points: 1

Total Points: 1999/2000

As is hopefully obvious, this is not a serious tournament-winning list. However I would still like to hear some feedback on it, if only so I have a proper "shopping list"! I'm contemplating swapping the Haruspex out for an acid spray Tyrannofex.

List has been totally revised! See further down for details...

Edited by Evil Eye

I think the standard competitive feedback on this list would be...

Tyranid Primes are mostly a waste of points unless you have just a ton of Warriors. Fundamentally Warriors are costed and statted as objective holders with a lot of cheap wounds, and even with the Prime they only have a 3+ BS. To give you a sense, your Warrior squads will kill about 4 Necron Warriors (3 from the Devourers, 1 from the Venom Cannons) and with +1 to hit they'll kill 6. That's not a great improvement for almost 100pts.

I'd aim to run a max squad of Devilgants since they'll lose re-rolls of 1 to wound if even a single model dies.

Haruspex is unfortunately pretty weak, it's really constrained by WS4 and only AP-1. The Ravenous maw will kill 1 MEQ on average giving it 1 Shovelling claws attack which only hits 50% of the time. Against GEQ it'll still only kill 4 models. You can give it full re-rolls with Feeding the Hunger for 1 CP but even then it'll only kill 3 MEQ or 5 Necron Warriors. It's just going to be really hard for it to make up its points cost compared to something like an Exocrine.

I think the main problem with the Tyrannofex is it doesn't have access to the Exocrine stratagem to count as staying still, and with only 18" range it can be zoned out pretty easily. Even if it does get in range, it'll mostly only be able to fire once and kill 2 MEQ or 5 GEQ, again not making up its points cost very easily.

Raveners I haven't seen played very much but they do go fast and have Scything Talons to fit your theme. I'd just be careful with them given their 5+ save. Might be worth considering playing just one big squad and giving it Adaptive Physiology - Enhanced Resistance so they at least always get their save against AP 1 and 2, but it's not nearly as good as it is on Warriors.

All that said I think it's a cool list and extremely fluffy. Just keep in mind Bio-metallic Cysts don't apply to Massive Scything Talons. My main concern would be that your anti-tank capability tops out at 2 Venom Cannons and an HVC. You've got 3 dmg weapons on the Carnifexes and Tyrant but they are only Str 6 so you're wounding T7 on a 5+ which is rough. I like Stone-crushers against non-flying vehicles but ultimately the best anti-tank stuff is Exocrines with Pathogenic Slime or Hive Guard. Zoanthropes can help in a pinch too.

Edited by Alcyon

• 6 months later...

Managed to get the Octarius book in, and an hour or so of brain-racking later I present the revised list! Once again not intended as a tourney-winner or indeed much beyond casual fun (hence my attachment to such silly things as the Onibaba Sisters and the Harvestman) but evaluation is appreciated regardless.

Hive Fleet Adaptations: Metamorphic Regrowth, Adaptive Exoskeleton

HQ:

>Lady Locust: Hive Tyrant with wings, two pairs of devourers with brainleech worms, Pathogenesis, toxin sacs and adrenal glands: 215 points. (Warlord Trait: Adaptive Physiology)

>Lord Locust: Hive Tyrant with wings, heavy venom cannon, toxin sacs and adrenal glands: 215 points.

Elites:

>3 Zoanthropes: 150 points.

Troops:

>25 Termagants with devourers: 175 points.

>25 Termagants with devourers: 175 points.

>4Tyranid Warriors with rending claws and deathspitters (Synpatic Link: Bioweapon Bond): 115 points.

>4 Tyranid Warriors with rending claws and deathspitters (Synpatic Link: Bioweapon Bond): 115 points.

>25 Hormagaunts: 150 points.

Heavy Support:

>Bruiser Brothers- 2 Screamer Killers with spore cysts: 260 points.

>Harvestman- Tyrannofex with acid spray: 175 points. (Adaptive Physiology- Voracious Ammunition)

>Onibaba Sisters- 2 Carnifexes with monstrous crushing claws, bio-plasma, chitin thorns, spore cysts, 1 stranglethorn cannon and 1 heavy venom cannon: 255 points.

Maybe take a look at the Leviathan fleet rules? The 6+ fnp is as good as the  6+ Invuln from adaptive, I think, and you gain some cool bonuses - reroll all hit rolls from the Leviathan warlord trait would pair nicely with the devilgaunts, though I guess you have the +1 to hit already from the warriors. Good news is that you can combine them! You can still use the strat to give the TFex voracious ammo, and there's a strat to give warlord traits also. 

seconded. for a cp leviathan can ain an extra warlord trait so no cost to your adaptive phycology. and ts hard to argue with the rerolls to hit n both cc and shooting... that lasts il next command phase... over watch anyone... never mind that new strats that would mostly stack well on this list... could also consider the void crown for a tyrant for objectives/better phs and the potential of the zoanthropes synaptic link for a cheap boost to effectively boosting powers... which stacks with the crown... just if you have any wiggle room thats not list breaking