Unit of the Week: Trygon Prime v2 Synaptic Link

Xenith

++Trygon Prime++

LvLnMIE.jpg

We have a new unit of the week! This week it's the Trygon Prime, the Alpha Snake. Separated from the regular Trygon due to the presence of additional bioelectric attacks and Synapse What are you thoughts, and how best would you use these?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • What size unit? Will you be running multiple units?
  • What Hive Fleet Traits, Adaptative Physiologies and Stratagems do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Uses in Matched, Narrative and Open Play

Over to you.

Edited by Xenith

This guy was a big part of my lists in the games I've played, giving me some fast synapse to keep up with the Hormagaunts. At S7, he's in a funny place until you give him Murderous size to boost to S8 and D D6+1 where he instantly murders MEQ's and can take a chunk out of most vehicles in one round of combat. I'd always give him Adrenal glands to make sure he gets the charge off.

Being a CHARACTER means he also has access to relics, however, I've never used these yet.

I completely missed that it was character! That's interesting...

I looked at some artefacts and some stood out as possibilities:

• Arachnacyte Gland: giving an ability to make a charge (and combined with adrenal glands) and potentially certain hive fleets, seems to be a good way to ensure this terror hits the turn it comes in on.
  • Ymgarl Factor: This is a way to potentially get S+1 or another attack to boost damage output
  • Xenogenic Acid: This is could allow some MW output.  If combined with Behemoth's psychic power, this would be doing D+1 and MWs on 5+'s

Xenith points out that adaptations could also work on it:

• Murderous Size: this only affects one set of talons, right?  If so, does that mean the super sized claws would not get the benefit of +1 Attack from having multiple sets?
  • Accelerated Digestion: This might be a way for the Trygon to stay around a little while longer.  When I've played with them (or mawlocs) they tend to be killed in one turn.  Meaning this might be wasted.
  • Dermic Symbosis: may provide some further staying power and effectiveness.  I don't know if I would prioritize this over other potential targets (e.g., exocrine or hierodules)

I don't use Trygons much because they are glass cannons.  However, I feel like I've forgotten that they can have some nice damage output.  Xenith's point about making them marine shredders is not lost on me... come to think of it, I don't think I've fielded a trygon in 9th edition.

I’ve had mixed fortunes with the Trygon Prime.

As mentioned above if you want to run her you have to give her Murderous Size and the Arachnacyte Glands.

Yeah it’s a glass hammer but will surprise an unwary opponent. Hopefully if you bring them on at the right time it can do some serious work.

In that respect it’s like the Swarmlord you need to learn when to commit to get the most out of them.

Every time I used the Trygon Prime I’ve coupled it with a small Brood (12) of Devourer armed Termagants. Mainly because that’s all I have but they do give a distraction.

All in I think it needs to have a pts reduction if it is to be a go-to unit but can be fun in an aggressive list.

• 8 months later...

With the addition of the new Synaptic Links to the Tyranids arsenal, the Trygon Prime has gained the 'Feed' ability, for itself or to pass onto another unit. The Feed ability allows a unit to shoot and charge in a turn in which it fell back.

This is a pretty powerful ability, and is great in other armies. Charge and fall back is seen as a great part of Kraken lists. For Nids in particular, it can be used to pull units out of combat, like Devilgaunts that have been tagged, while keeping up their firepower. Limited use on monsters who can already shoot into combat, but great if you get charge bonuses, like Crusher stampede strats. 

I'm not sure if this is worth the cost of adding a nearly 200 point trygon prime to your list, but I'd say if you are already sticking a trygon prime in there, for whatever reason, this is a pretty decent upgrade and worth taking - it might just win you the game. 

Edited by Xenith

I've been looking at this as part of my army review, and I think it has legs (unlike the Trygon - I'm here all week!). The Trygon Prime is sadly pretty squishy for its size so even if you didn't lend the power out I think it'll be a good investment to keep it going a bit longer. The ability to pull a unit out and let it act could be pivotal as you say, so for those of us taking a Trygon Prime I think it's well worth adding :thumbsup:

Especially in a stone crusher list i could see this being more important as fexes are better on the charge abd tryhons get some of the much needed survivability. The benigit of getting fresh charges and supporting units would be a greater boon.

• 1 month later...
n a crusher stampede army of renown, I like to build my Trygon Prime with the following:

Trygon prime 205 pts

Adrenal Glands, toxin sacs (Xenogenic Acid), Toxinspike, Synaptic Link: Feed, Warlord- Rampaging Beast, Alpha Leader Beast- Gestalt Commander, Adaptive Physiology-Murderous Size, 

This gives the Trygon Prime 6x base attacks +1 Attack and +d3 attacks with the following stat line 8 STR -4AP D6+1 because of Murderous size. Then on 5+ to wound you deal 1 mortal wound in addition to the damage dealt  b cause of the Xenomorphic acid. Don’t forget you can charge and spend 1x cp to use the breakthrough strategem  to deal mortal wounds.  If that thing fights a vehicle then use 2 cp for thunderous impact to add 1 to hit, wound, and damage. 

Toss in aggressive surge psyhic power you get  an additional d3 attacks.

Edited by Hiroitchi