Unit of the Week: Gladiator Valiant

Jolemai

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Gladiator Valiant

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use your Valiant?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples?
  • What Wargear Options do you prefer for this unit?
  • How are you buffing this unit? Will it be babysitting anything?
  • Stratagem synergy of note?
  • Over to you

I have one of these, and I am a bit on the fence about it. On the one hand it is a potent tank killer, able to smash aside most comparable vehicles with even a below average round of firing. On the other, it is arrayed against a sizable selection of anti-tank choices that are far more cost-effective than this.

Devastator squads with multimeltas in a drop pod, Eradicators double tapping, even Predator Annihilators and Vindicator tanks are able to inflict similar damage.

The draw for this tank for me is to severely damage multiple targets in one round, blitzing three tanks might not secure any kills, but can help an army set up those kills, as well as reduce incoming fire. Depending on terrain density and enemy deployment, it is possible to knock several key targets down a bracket or two, following up with fast moving melta weaponry or long range middle or lascannon fire can be a good alpha strike against heavy resistance.

I can certainly see an AM tank list learning to take note of this vehicle.

The downsides of this tank are apparent, namely being overpriced, and a very obvious threat. The irony of the latter being that it is actually over armed.

The times that you will need four lascannon shots and four multimeltas are rare. Devoting all of these weapons to one target is often horrific overkill, and quite wasteful. Of course, having said that, some targets are entirely deserving of this destructive potential. Ghazkull, Guilliman and the Swarm lord are all units that may actually survive this terrifying fire, given a little luck.

I've read about how some people think this tank is to fragile, but I don't think it is. It's simply to big of a threat to not draw fire. Unfortunately, the end result is the same: the Valiant attracts every high damage shot it can, and the one who played it will feel ripped off. Which is a shame because it is a gorgeous model.

Not quite as good looking as the Lancer variant, but so much better on the table.

Well alright. Let's see. I'd argue it's high points cost means it needs protection in order to do what we need it to do.

• datasheet 10" move means it can move out from behind terrain to shoot. It's not a small model, but it is a good deal smaller than a repulsor. Anyway, only infantry suffers a penalty to shooting HEAVY weapons after moving. It may also move to adjust position away from enemies or towards primary or secondary objectives. 
  • Aside from it's points there is risk inherent in its range. The datasheet 24" range (on most all its guns) means there are a lot of enemies having longer range. To me this means you can't sit back and shoot. And, since it plans to get in range to do it's work, it is also in range of others. I suppose you could operate on a flank to limit exposure (at least more than running straight down the middle). Since you're probably up close, Grav Pulse is, I think, a very important strat, allowing you to shoot after falling back. 
  • Also, the Valiant is risky because it does have serious firepower (read as: it gets attention).
    • 4 lastalon shots, 4 multimelta shots, and I also like the icarus D3 shots for how cheap it is. I don't know the best way to kill super durable units, like death guard terminators, but I do know melta can get the job done. 9th Edition continues to evolve to include damage reduction abilities in units, meaning mere Damage 2 or D3 weapons can be lacking. More obviously, tanks and vehicles are of course in big trouble versus the valiant. I suspect an enemy will deploy away, move to evade, or concentrate fire to eliminate it. This tank can cause way too much trouble to be left alive.
    • Admittedly there is value in using units as distractions for your opponent to shoot at while your important units are scoring objectives and winning the game. Still, the Valiant is not super cheap or super durable - high risk distraction maneuvers might be better suited for other units unless it's a last turn, all or nothing, win or lose gambit.
  • apart from what it can do, it's worth noting what the enemy can do: does it matter to your army list design if the valiant gives up 2VP for Bring it down?
  • auto launchers - an upgrade to use a 1CP strat for -1 to hit makes sense due to the high points invested in the gladiator.
  • Power level 13 means 2 CP to put it into strategic reserves. I can't say that is good or bad, but more of something to consider.
    • The benefit is not getting destroyed T1. More specifically, deployment occurs before the roll-off for first turn (see Matched Play, & GT 2020 Mission Packs). It's very risky to deploy in line of sight if first turn is unknown.
    • The negative in using reserves is losing board control, and at least a turn of shooting (Advanced Rules, Strategic reserves means it's T2, and then not on the enemy edge or deployment zone, or T3 or later and not on enemy edge). I say at least, because it's conceivable the enemy, fully expecting your shenanigans, counters by leaving you no worthy targets (e.g. kill a free scout sentinel). Indirectly, enemy special abilities may cause trouble by redeployment before T1. Drukhari (insidious misdirection strat - redeploy 3 units), Harlequins (The Hundred Swords of Vaul), Space marines (Lord of Deceit WLT), and genestealer cults (cult ambush) are examples. So, when you deploy normally, you may think you have good cover, range on the next turn, or line of sight but it's lost suddenly due to a surprise redeploy.