Cosmic Horror Tyranids

McGibs

Time to plant the seeds of a new army!

I've wanted to do Tyranids for a while as a nice change of pace from my clean-lined marines and techno-demonic chaos. My painting goals are to make heavy use of contrast paints, drybrushing, and glazing for some nice organic gradients.

Model wise, I've always like nids, but there's been some goofy design elements that never really clicked with me. Namely the bio "guns" and goofy dinosaur heads. My conversion goals for this army is  totry and go more bestial and alien, more "cosmic horror" type look. More squid faces, eyeless worm mouths, spines, bee-hives, feathers, veins, all that good stuff. At the end of the day, they should still look like the gribbly space bug-dinosaurs that the core Tyranids idea hits so well.

I decided to do up a Genestealer for my first test model. I think stock genestealers are pretty goofy looking and have a lot of room to get scarier. First to change was the head, which I chopped the face off of and greenstuffed an upsidedown Pink Horror onto to to get something truly horrific. The limbs were the next conversion, as I think Tyranids have a bit of an "akimbo" issue with all their multiple arms. The models can get really jumbled because of the limbs, so I think reposing them will be one of my main conversion opportunities with this army. Scything Talons are perfect for folding down compact like bird wings, and tucking them up close to the nid's body looks much more naturalistic and also helps keep the model's silhouette readable. The Rending Claws I decided to elongate with an extra joint, making them more into gangly ape arms. There's been a couple genestealer art pieces where they look like freaky monster monkeys, loping along and climbing on things which I think is a perfect aesthetic to lean into.

Painting wise I wanted something fleshy and familiar, to contrast with the more alien features. Something like an earthworm .

http://mcgibs.com/wp-content/gallery/miniatures/tyranids_genestealer01.jpg

Edited by McGibs

Very well done, the pink horror head upside down :teehee:  is awesomesauce... way more scarier than your standard genestealer for sure.the extra joint is disturbing...:ermm:  so i guess that's another win, the colours are nice and icky (in a good way) Although looking at him now...I'd like to see one in black ala Alien/Aliens...  :yes:

outstanding work and yesssss i want to see more !

Mithril

Thanks guys! Onto the next test model!

Painted up a Tyranid Warrior. I might play around with the spine colours a bit, try out some neon greens or pinks, but I'm pretty chuffed with this little squid-porcupine-raptor!

http://mcgibs.com/wp-content/gallery/miniatures/tyranids_warrior01.jpg

http://mcgibs.com/wp-content/gallery/miniatures/tyranids_warrior01_turn.gif

• 2 weeks later...

These are AWESOME!

I've worked on some tyranids myself, and know how hard it can be to convert them.

But yours are fantastic, and very creative.

A buddy of mine told me about some gaunts with devourer heads, and how they looked wiener-ish - but I guess I have to kick his butt now! :biggrin.:

In all seriousness, these are awesome. The simple headswap with the venomthrope makes your warrior unique, and the gaunts look hauntingly houndish. Love them!

I'd give more words of praise, but I'm running out of time.

I think there are some monsters after me...