Finally got around to actually start painting.  Long time lover of the lore and books but not interested in Gaming really.  Although i generally love all things Space Wolf, I'm not really a lover of the blue/grey colour scheme so I've decided that my 'home brew' successor chapter will have a white colour scheme because that's soo easy to do!

'The White Wolves, or 'Hvitulfur Russ' as they refer to themselves are a newly minted all-Primaris successor to the mighty Space Wolves.  Denied the opportunity to rejoin their brethren upon Fenris, they have begun carve out a fearsome reputation alongside the Wolfspear as a chapter the Wolves of Fenris will be glad to fight with.'

As none of the Wolf Lords have deemed themselves worthy of displaying their personal heraldry upon the banners and shoulders of their Great Company, each company will bear the White Wolf on their left shoulder, framed by their company colour, which will also be displayed on their helmets and right knee pads.

Tra Company uses red as their company colour:

Wolf 2

Wolf 1

As I look through the posts on the WIP pages i see so many great projects, many backed up by a really strong narrative so i thought i'd look a little further than the models I'm currently attempting to finish off.

White Wolves Chapter:

Tra Company - Company Colur - Red

Wolf Lord - Freijr the Younger - Also known as 'The Ice Wrought' - Called Freijr the Younger as he was reanimated 2 minutes after Company Champion Freijr the Elder (The Bear Claw) - model will be Ragnar Blackmane painted in 3rd (Tra) Company colours with very pale/albino skin.  Not gonna lie this decision was much influenced by Jarl Greyloc from the Battle of the Fang novel.

Company Champion - Freijr the Elder - Also known as the Bear Claw - Dark Imperium Gravis Captain - In any other Company he would be the Lord but he is content with his position as 2nd in command and leader of his lord's Wolf Guard.  I'm going to attempt to kitbash this guy and add the Bear pelt from a Wolf Guard Terminator box set I have instead of the usual cape.  I have another idea for the Terminators.

3 x Primaris Wolf Guard - 2 x Lieutenants from the Dark Imperium box set plus Haldor Icepelt as leader of each segment of the company. Icepelt will lead the gun line - intercessors and Grey Hunters, 1 x lieutenant will lead the assault element and 1 the support section - Hellblasters etc.  The 2 Dark Imperium Lt's will have additional wolf pelts  and heads to help add to the 'Wolfieness'!

Company ancient/Wolf Guard with standard

In tne White Wolves desire to emulate both their Fenrisian and Primaris backgrounds, they will field equal amounts of Space Wolf and Primaris unique units.  For example for each unit of Intercessors they will field a unit of (Primaris modelled) Grey Hunters or Primaris modelled Blood Claws for Assault intercessors etc.

Instead of buying Heavy Intercessors, even though I like the models, I've got some regular Devastator heavy weapons - Heavy Bolter, Plasma Cannon and Multi Melta that i will try and add to my existing moedls and see where that takes me.

1 x Unit Grey Hunters - Sergeant + 5 (Primaris ) Grey Hunters 1 with Heavy Bolter

1 x Unit Intercessors

1 x Unit Hell Blasters - 1 with Plasma Cannon - can 'count as Hell Blaster plasma gun' but i like the look of the cannon

1 x Inceptors - not really sure how I'll add to these or if I'll use them from box.  Probably SkyClaws would their best proxy unit so some jump pack equipped assault Intercessors may have to be kitbashed somehow.

As for the Space Wolf Terminators - 5 x Wolf Guard Terminators (1 Sergeant) - Called The Watchers by the White Wolves, this unit has been seconded to their Chapter by none other than Logan Grimnar himself, ostensibly to help with their selection of new aspirants and to monitor performance, especially in the field, of the new Primaris marines.  They have the potential to send worthy Marines to the home world, to the Aett, for further observation if they have performed outstanding feats in battle

- Wolf Lord and Company Champion the two Freirs were the 1st of the chapter to receive this boon - and they will be hosted by the resident Wolf Lord and his Priests in different scenarios - this was where Company Champion Freijr the Elder received his Wyrd Name of Bear Claw.  In joining the Wolf Lord in the hunt on Fenris, Freijr intervened when he observed 2 Giant Ice Bears attacking a hunting party of native Fenrisians.  Normally the Wolves would not interfere but Freijr didn't hesitate although he was poorly armed with only a spear and his axe.  Impressing Krom Dragongaze with ferocity and physical prowess, the Champion drove one Bear off and killed killed the other with a mighty blow that not only split the Bear's skull but also shattered his axe.  Although victorious, Freijr was grievously injured but showed impressive fortitude in returning unaided to The Aett.  So impressed was Krom that not only did he have his own thralls cure and prepare the Bear Pelt for Freijr to take back with him, but he also replaced his axe with a relic Thunder Hammer from his own armoury. (This is where the Gravis Captain will have his sword replaced with a Thunder Hammer from the Terminator box set)

None of the White Wolves are in any doubt as to the real purpose of the Watchers true purpose however.  Whilst they will undoubtedly be reporting on the White Wolves performance in battle, there will be no repeat of the Wolf Brothers fall from the Imperium's light and the Watchers will sanction them with the full might of the Wolves of Fenris if they have the slightest doubt.

Edited by Theweewhitewolf

Looks good. Are you going with standard helms or going to go maybe 3rd party for different variety?

I’m going to mainly go bare heads if possible, after this initial test group but am open to alternatives. Any recommendations?

Here is my 1st ever finished mini

DB2B702C ECEF 4D59 B446 69DE99E81330

8966C7EE 52B7 4328 A4A8 982FAFA0C379

53F2D6E0 7F25 44DD 9F92 46B71BEDCD2A

Here are my initial thoughts for ‘The Watchers’ from Grimnar’s Wolf Guard:

99CD9771 8725 4A3A A771 A6B325757173

EBB29DD4 E64F 4A37 B739 F2C840F60729

F9239B1A 847D 4670 BFA2 7B92B4CD26CF

They we’re done before I thought of making them the Great Wolf’s men

So looking back at my first mini, what did I learn?

• painting these things is bloody hard
  • I need to have much better brush control
  • my sub assemblies whilst helping me at the start not cover the wrong part in paint, need to be much smaller - possibly pinning items to a cork?
  • I really struggle with the consistency of my paints and need to learn how to use my wet palette better
  • DON’T watch Zumikito or Juan Hidalgo painting white power armour after you finish yours unless you want your ego CRUSHED!

Having said all that, I had a blast completing that one and have spent today wrecking some other minis practicing the above. Hopefully more to come, any tips would be welcome...

Nice work mate, especially for a first mini! I really like the colour scheme, white and red is a great pairing. White is a pain to paint though, I think yours looks pretty good. Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing more join the pack!

@deathspectersgt - I’d love to see that!

Since I decided that I needed to work on my brush control etc. there have been no additions to the White Wolves as yet. However I’ve been having a try at modifying the gravies captain from Dark Imperium into ‘Freir the Elder’ company champion and leader of the wolf guard:

I’ve removed the reliquary on his waist and added a Wolf skull and dagger. Changed his sword with a Thunder Hammer. Changed the left shoulder pauldron with one from the SW upgrade spruce nd I’ve removed the boltstorm gauntlet because it looks too small to deliver a ‘boltstorm’ and added a storm bolted although I need to tidy it up a bit. Let me know what you think...

A47F6F71 03E4 44F5 AA7F 83CF1B288276

60EEE9FB B9B1 4709 A7C6 3B43B3851804

1C2E01AA D22B 40BB A679 BFA004381179

7528897E CB75 4B75 8290 1A3A53C81404

So looking back on my 1st finished mini, I was quite happy but thought I needed much more contrast in the mini and used last weekend as a tester of sorts.

I did 1 mini with Gryph Charger Grey as the panel liner plus black lining the shoulder pads. I also added much more gold to the mini - knee pads and shoulder pads for added Viking vibes. 

Panel lined

I also tried one with oil paints as I’d seen a few people do one YouTube - black base, white zenithal highlight plus two layers of white ink - applied by brush, I’m not getting an airbrush.....yet

A8E6E3D8 CD8E 4FEE 943F 6C9CF654F9FA

587AE39F 2E5B 4A45 8C32 B94315C5EB95

im going complete the next two or 3 minis in the next few days and will definitely complete the test mini with oils. Any feedback is welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice work, that is a really nice colour scheme and very well painted.

Thank you for looking these over Doghouse, your stuff is amazing.

I’v carried on in a few areas:

1. Completed 3 Intercessors with a new style of base - I thought that a white mini on a white ‘ice’ base as too monochrome so I tried a ‘lava’ 

Int 3

Int 2

Int 1

2. Attempted a kitbash of my Gravis Captain in a Wolf Guard Company Champion/Battle Leader. I tried a mix of moulding (Bear pelt from the Wolf Guard Terminator box) and my first real green stuff attempt. It’s supposed to be a Bear pelt with the head sat on the Gravis ‘cowl’ and draped in place of his cloak. 

Grav 1

Grav 2

3. 3 Primaris Grey Hunters to start the levelling of the packs - 1 ‘traditional’ Space Wolf unit per Primaris specific unit.

Grey 1

Grey 2

Grey 3

As you can see, the photos have been taken in the spraying booth of the airbrush that I definitely wasn’t going to buy.....

As always let me know any thoughts, tips or changes.
Cheers

Looking nice. I definitely like the lava, your right the snow washes everything out. The deep grey of the rock and reds in the lava let things pop out much better. Those helms look good too. You going to use em for everyone or to make standouts for officers/packleaders/wolf guard? Ive never been a fan of marines not wearing their helmets, why give them the opportunity to head shot come on, and that lets them stand out really well. And gj with the green stuff, I'm about to embark on my own adventures with it and hope it turns out so well.

Good job. Are the White Wolves your IA Chapter, or a canon one?

HI Bjorn, the White Wolves are a Primaris only successor whose back story will be added on here as I go. They will be my own adaptation of the Vlka Fenryka and use a mix of the new units and the original Space Wolves only units. For example, I’m going to add my own twist to the Grey Hunters and Scouts themes using Intercessor and Incursor/Reiver kits - I don’t want my Grey Hunter special weapons marines to have to be in Gravis if they are carrying a heavy bolster for example, as I think this takes away from the look and concept of the unit. As I’m not a gamer they will add equal new and old units as I go, but I suppose they could all be used as a ‘counts as’ if opponents were happy to do so.

Looking nice. I definitely like the lava, your right the snow washes everything out. The deep grey of the rock and reds in the lava let things pop out much better. Those helms look good too. You going to use em for everyone or to make standouts for officers/packleaders/wolf guard? Ive never been a fan of marines not wearing their helmets, why give them the opportunity to head shot come on, and that lets them stand out really well. And gj with the green stuff, I'm about to embark on my own adventures with it and hope it turns out so well.

HI Commisar I’m really enjoying trying new things with how they are painted and how they are based. That means there is currently some variation in the finish but I might get to ‘recipe’ soon.  I’m going to try with the airbrush doing a Vallejo Mecha Grey prime, zenithal Ulthuan Grey base and a White final more acute zenithal highlight plus a new gold recipe.  I’m also going to y Marco Frisoni’s recipe for the lava bases.

As for the helmets, I’m still waiting for them to arrive from Liber Daemonica but I thought that they would only be used by the units/Marines that had walked on Ferris at the invitation of the Space Wolves, this is one of the key parts of the back story which will follow and where my Gravis kitbash claimed his Bear pelt.  The reasons that marines are invited to Fenris are known only to the Space Wolves ‘watchers’ and can be a full unit or an individual Marine which, in my mind, allows me to create an individual story within a unit or unit type - obviously the White Wolves are all desperate to get to Fenris and the addition of this ‘reward’ drives them to higher feats o valour/honour in order to catch the imagination of the ‘watchers’.

Good luck with your recipe, I look forward to seeing it on here.

Edited by Theweewhitewolf

I like it. Good way to incorporate lore into the army. All I worry is it may come off a bit random, but the ones doing especially cool stuff are going to be the vets, or shared units it sounds like. Should keep everyone unified. I like the idea of them competing to take a pilgrimage to the Fang.

If your trying to get it dialed in for the bases, maybe just take a day and make like 10 and see what you like. If you have a guy done and off base you can blue tack him on and see how you like it, without spending all the time on finishing a model and then disliking the base, a situation I'm sadly in and now having to fix.

I like it. Good way to incorporate lore into the army. All I worry is it may come off a bit random, but the ones doing especially cool stuff are going to be the vets, or shared units it sounds like. Should keep everyone unified. I like the idea of them competing to take a pilgrimage to the Fang.

If your trying to get it dialed in for the bases, maybe just take a day and make like 10 and see what you like. If you have a guy done and off base you can blue tack him on and see how you like it, without spending all the time on finishing a model and then disliking the base, a situation I'm sadly in and now having to fix.

Great idea. Gives me a reason to work more with my new airbrush and find out how to get more cracks in the covering layer