LameBeard and son start Adeptus Titanicus

LameBeard

I did a little bit of accounting today. So far, between us we have:

• Purchased - Precept Maniple, Hardback rulebook, Plasma Sprue, Starter Set, Battle Bling Reaver Plasma
  • Sold - Warbringer, Reaver, 2 Warhounds, Softback rulebook

We benefitted from a modest Friendly Local Game Store discount on much of it, so net of proceeds, fees and postage we have spend just under GBP 160 so far.

This does not include magnets (I think they were GBP 8.50 Army Painter set) or tools, paints or basing materials (which we already had). I'm trying to get my head around if Titanicus is more or less expensive than other GW games - I mean we still don't have quite enough for what I'd call a 'proper' battle, and haven't bought any terrain either. I guess this was always going to be more expensive than Necromunda (assuming you don't go mental on terrain) or Blood Bowl, which are based on small model counts, right?

I did a little bit of painting too, on the first Reaver, which I will pledge in Grotsmasha's challenge.

med_gallery_93054_17005_29298.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Meanwhile, my son has declared his Warlord 'done' and speed painted a knight (still basing to do).

gallery_93054_17005_119044.jpeg

med_gallery_93054_17005_6002.jpeg

Now he's seen me put those inverted commas he's said he might do decals, weathering and more on the base, but I still admire the fact that he's ready to draw the line on his models. i don't think mine are ever 'done', I look at them thinking, well I could just do another highlight here, or improve that lining there ...

I do, on occasion use them on a Reaver, this is because reavers are easier to magnetise at the shoulder, as each weapon comes with its own arm. (Also, the hole for the shoulder panel on a Reaver fits a 3mm magnet perfectly. However, while it's easy enough to put magnets in the shoulder, perfectly lining up the corresponding magnet in the ball joint of the weapon is tricky. The result is that you often have a weapon which sits a little wonky in the shoulder. But, if you use the cables, they can be glued onto the weapon, not glued onto the torso, but will just slot into the gap behind the rear panels. In this manner you can mag the weapon, and use the cable to hold it in the right orientation.

I can provide some example pics if you like?

Can I take you up on this offer now? I’m making progrsss with the reaver but not sure if magnets are asking for trouble - I might just glue the arm, but maybe you can show me what you did?

This is what I was talking about.

This is how I magnetise all of my Reaver weapons, a 2x1mm magnet drilled into the ball joint in the shoulder. The magnet in the armpit is actually drilled into the round hole the shoulder panel sinks into, I just drill it through, and glue in some more 2x1s.

med_gallery_100735_16292_381024.jpg

The problem I get, is that unless I line up the magnet in the ball joint perfectly, the weapons can hang slightly awkwardly. In this picture you can see the Gatling is hanging on a tilt, and is in fact touching the leg. The Volcano Cannon however, is hanging level, because I kept the cables attached to the weapon. Ideally, I should go back and find the cable for the Gatling and do the same thing to that one.

med_gallery_100735_16292_842053.jpg

As you can see from this slightly out of focus pic, even with the armour panels glued on, the hole which the weapon cables slot into is still accessible:

med_gallery_100735_16292_331724.jpg

So, by gluing the cable to the weapon, as in picture 1, you can slot the cable into the hole when you magentise the weapon at the shoulder:

med_gallery_100735_16292_73518.jpgmed_gallery_100735_16292_1120634.jpg

The weapon is now removable, looks complete, and hangs level, the correct distance away from the torso and legs.

Edited by Brother Adelard

Beautiful titans, thanks for this.

So I believe pipes are only available for power fist on the left and guns on the right, and then they have to share. So you might never find those Gatling pipes.

Here was my tentative plan:

Left arm - magnet at shoulder with two options:

Power fist with pipes

Volcano cannon (no pipes available on left - I guess the hole won’t be visible?)

Right arm - magnet at elbow with two options:

Lasers with pipes

Plasma with no pipes (battle bling plasma does not come with pipes or arm)

I figured this way better because you wouldn’t want to run the power fist and volcano together in games? But looking cool might be the have volcano on right and plasma on left, to get the pipes back?

Power fist already built so that’s definitely staying left.

Huh, I could have sworn there were mirror sets. That's really annoying now you point it out.

No, the hole isn't really visible with the armour in place, so that's not a problem, but I am surprised that the battle Bling plasma didn't come with an arm, were they optional?

Of course, the issue with the plasma is they don't have any legal rules, so that may favour the laser, but I just don't rate lasers!

Huh, I could have sworn there were mirror sets. That's really annoying now you point it out.

No, the hole isn't really visible with the armour in place, so that's not a problem, but I am surprised that the battle Bling plasma didn't come with an arm, were they optional?

Of course, the issue with the plasma is they don't have any legal rules, so that may favour the laser, but I just don't rate lasers!

Battle bling sell the arm separately - just £5 for six I think, with magnet holes at elbow. Maybe shouldn’t have been a cheapskate and bought some. I expect I’ll proxy plasma as melta. I know it’s a call out to the 80s design, but I don’t really like the melta model. Edited by LameBeard

Progress to report! I have nearly finished the Reaver. Here she is so far:

med_gallery_93054_17005_48673.jpeg

That shoulder pad is magnetised because I wanted the plain one really, but didn't have a big enough decal and I wasn't brave enough to try freehand yet. So that can be swapped out later. The powerfist is also off so that I can try magenitising the chainfist at that point.

med_gallery_93054_17005_1325.jpeg

The lasers and powerfist arm are done in a similar way to how @Brother Adelard suggested. The pipes are glued to the weapon, not the shoulder. The laser magnetised at the elbow, and the powerfist at the shoulder.

med_gallery_93054_17005_59689.jpeg

My plan is to put the Volcano Cannon on the right and the Gatling on the left like @Brother Adelard. I think Gatling, Apocalype, Volcano will be the 'range' combination, and powerfist and other stuff, the 'melee' combination. I was really looking forward to the powerfist, but in a test battle I found the Reaver is a bit slow getting into combat, and when he did, the 'concussive' trait ended up punching the Warlord round to allow it to finish off the Warhound that had flanked it! The BattleBling Plasma doesn't quite fit the arm, it's just too snug - so that may have to wait.

med_gallery_93054_17005_21762.jpeg

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how it went. Getting one leg up and fixing the foot was not a bad idea, but it did make some of the build more time-consuming, and she sits too far towards the front of the base. Ankles went ok, and knees - but the hip is actually a trap - the pipes clashes with the groin plate, and so that groin plate is not quite sitting flush. Just about got away with it. Also, I wish I had seen how those rear torso plates went, I could have greenstuffed the crack before painting, I didn't realise that was going to show. Now to decide what next - the second Reaver, the second Warhound, or buy a Warlord or Questoris Knights?

Lovely work.

That's my favourite ranged loadout. I then like the melta, Chainfist and VMB for close in work.

I took a couple of power fists for the first time in ages the other day, and just don't see the appeal over the Chainfist. The extra dice, the rend, and the lack of risk of punching him out of range are just better.

Knocking things out of combat is kinda the point sometimes, though tbh i would usually go chainfist first they work very very well as a pair. I really cant imagine pairing with a melta though, shooting yourself in the face is fairly sub optimal :D Its a great weapon, but it 100% has a danger close!

The big key to a melee reaver is getting the march (yeah i know its wrong, epic is stuck in my head :D )  order off on turn one and keep pushing that reactor for speed. At that point you are threatening midfield and probably already deterring your opponent from moving into those areas.

Knocking things out of combat is kinda the point sometimes, though tbh i would usually go chainfist first they work very very well as a pair. I really cant imagine pairing with a melta though, shooting yourself in the face is fairly sub optimal :D Its a great weapon, but it 100% has a danger close!

The big key to a melee reaver is getting the march (yeah i know its wrong, epic is stuck in my head :D ) order off on turn one and keep pushing that reactor for speed. At that point you are threatening midfield and probably already deterring your opponent from moving into those areas.

Just take experimental locomotors. Pushing every turn runs a worrying risk of rolling machine spirit and your melee Reaver just standing there like a lemon.