Cheap utility Inquisitor

Karhedron

One idea that came up towards the end of 8th was adding a cheap Inquisitor to Space Marine forces. Now that we have all gotten to grips with 9th edition, I was interested in seeing if the idea was still worthwhile. A single Inquisitor takes up no slot and doesn't interfere with your Traits or Chapter Tactics.

At 55 points for a bare-bones Inquisitor, you get a get a cheap psyker which is handy for an extra Smite and Deny. I am not convinced about most of the wargear and relics since I think keeping this chap cheap is the key. If you want to spend more points then one of the special character Inquisitors may be better. Having said that, a Force Axe is cheap and boosts him to S5, Ap-2, D3 in melee just in case you need to tangle with any MEQs.

While the Relics do not impress me much, the Warlord Traits do offer some interesting possibilities for 1CP. The Ordo Xenos WLT gives you a CP for rolling a 5+ every time your opponent uses a stratagem. With most armies having more CPs in 9th, there is more chance of this ability triggering. Also it does not require the Inquisitor to get close to the enemy so can quite easily farm CPs for you from the backfield.

The Ordo Hereticus WLT is also interesting as it gives you a chance to prevent enemy units from falling back out of combat. The only downside with this one is that it requires your squishy Inquisitor to be in melee and they certainly can't keep up with units with Jump Packs. Potentially interesting to have them ride in an Impulsor with units like Bladeguard. The Radical WLT granting rerolls is handy, particularly for Psychic and DTW tests. This combos well with the Alpha-Class Psyker strat which grants and extra power and an extra Deny.

Speaking of Psychic powers, the Telesthesia discipline is not a powerhouse but contains some useful abilities. Terrify can disable overwatch on a key unit. Mental Interrogation gives you another chance to farm CPs. Warding Incantation is also handy for giving a friendly unit a 5++. While not as good as Psychic Fortress, it sticks to the unit rather than the caster meaning you can cast it on a melee unit up to 12" away and they retain the 5++ even if they then charge off into combat.

For 60-ish points and 1-2 CPs, that is quite a lot of utility to add to an army.

In addition to your points, I think a 55pt bonus Inquisitor is probably great for fulfilling Warpcraft Secondaries. He doesnt have to do much in game, but if you can get him in the middle and keep him alive, you can get 15 for Psychic ritual for little effort, and he can still shoot and things. Likewise, Mental Interrogation can net you 15 pretty easily, with the downside that you need to keep your enemy's characters alive unitl T5. 

Malleus is obviously the overwhelming best choice, since only them could get psychic mastery, and 5++ is the most common psychic power which you want to use.

Totally agree that investing wargears on an non-named inquisitor is waste of points. No matter how many points invested, he can't get a Hector Rex profile(1+/4++).

The problem is whether an inquisitor have synergy with your chapter. Admech player always cast 5++ on kataphons when they bring inquisitor. If you have some key units without inv save(inceptors?), it may worth a try.

The inquisitor is a solid choice, appropriately guarded by acolytes they are fairly durable. Access to their strategems is useful, with 'To the Exclusion of All Else' and 'Strategic Excruciation' both being valuable in any list, though the former is fairly situational, depending on what Inquisitor Ordo you have, and which for you're facing.

I have played an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor before, against Necrons. Ten acolytes (stormtroopers) and a Jokaero made surprisingly short work of the Royal Warden and secured a few VPs with various actions. Honestly, there aren't many Imperial Agents units that can't benefit an army.

I wouldn't say I relied on the Inquisitor, and I would probably have won without him, but he helped a bit.

The inquisitor is a solid choice, appropriately guarded by acolytes they are fairly durable. Access to their strategems is useful, with 'To the Exclusion of All Else' and 'Strategic Excruciation' both being valuable in any list, though the former is fairly situational, depending on what Inquisitor Ordo you have, and which for you're facing.

I have played an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor before, against Necrons. Ten acolytes (stormtroopers) and a Jokaero made surprisingly short work of the Royal Warden and secured a few VPs with various actions. Honestly, there aren't many Imperial Agents units that can't benefit an army.

I wouldn't say I relied on the Inquisitor, and I would probably have won without him, but he helped a bit.

Acolytes only have "authority of inquisition" rule, but don't have "agent of imperium" keyword. Including them in a Marines army would totally mess the faction keywords and make your marine lose doctrines. I'm afraid that you misreaded the rules.

I'm liking the idea of an Inquisitor to run with a unit of Tactical Marines in a Drop Pod. An Ordo Maleus alpha psyker running a combi melta buffed with psychic pursuit and castigation to snipe a character T1 out of deepstike if may be cool for funzies. Also having the options to protect the Tac squad with Warding Incantation for objective holding, or just double down on mortal wounds with smite and castigation provides a nice bit of flexibility.

Kyria Draxus is another interesting option for character sniping out of deepstrike, as her "Shang" ability allows her to choose her target, unless look out sir also applies to powers??

Running her with vanvets, DC or ASM out of a drop pod could be interesting, as her Paralysis Grenade ability would provide counter fight protection since it is another source of the Fight Last ability, besides the Judiciar and Whirlwind Strat.

I used to be a fan of a cheap Inquisitor but since Psychic Fortress became an invul bubble they simply don't offer anything unique that a Marine librarian can't do better.

True but they can do things more cheaply than a Librarian and don't use up one of your HQ slots. Marines tend to be quite limited on DTWs simply because competition for those HQ slots can be hot in some lists and people may not want to pay the tax for running a second detachment.